Hmv

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Earl Grey, Sep 1, 2008.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey time for tea

hugging trees , if you dont like it , fuck off , i
    Hmv

fair enough,its hmv , not the ultimate place to shop for records but i was disgusted to see they dont sell any type of record at all anymore

a sad state of affiars , can some one list record shops in town please
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

4. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

i miss the downstairs of HMV :(
  5. trance_fan

trance_fan Registered User

I spent loads of pocket money downstairs in HMV

happy days :(

Is Air Records still going?
  6. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

have to say, waiting in the Q for the deck's was a bit soul destroying :lol:
  7. trance_fan

trance_fan Registered User

Charvers scratching and pitching up...with nothing to picth up to = priceless

586 - whos Terry Waite??
  8. Earl Grey

Earl Grey time for tea

hugging trees , if you dont like it , fuck off , i
  9. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell check me a dollar brer?

Alt Vinyl (next to Tillys)
    Beatdown (next to Sargent Slaughters)
    RPM (high bridge st)
  10. Stephen

Stephen the reel master

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

read his book :oops:

was kidnapped in the first gulf war

in other words, air records has bn shut for centuries, where the fuck have you been? :lol:
  11. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

<shows age here>

i remember a joke at school "what was the first thing terry waite said when he got released? is bryan Adams still number one?"

</shows age here>

you'll understand tony ;) :lol:
  12. Stephen

Stephen the reel master

i got told mr daly is touchin 40?
  13. Rory Space

Rory Space Gonny wreck yir fuckin hoose. Sweat tits

Re: Hmv

A was canny gutted when they stopped doin vinyl in HMV, didnt have an amazin selection but was ok for comercial n the odd rare. Was after that a got rid of the decks n got Cdjs :( miss me vinyl.
  14. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

Re: Re: Hmv

bah, as soon as downstairs turned into a haven for indie kids after CD singles i lost faith, the vinyl racks upstairs were either full of ministry releases or the very top Anjuna releases, pathetic tbh.

shame really cos downstairs used to have some pretty good stuff in :(
  15. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

to be honest the vinyl section went to crap for two reasons:

1) they moved it upstairs

2) bainbridge quit as the dance buyer

before both of those happened it was mint.

I used to help run the vinyl section in the metro, the problem is that less and less people are buying it, the only releases we could get ahold of on a regular basis were the data/positiva/anjuna/defected/hedkandi/clubland ones.

The one weakness in the HMV vinyl setup was that they would only chart vinyl in the 3 for £10 offer. That included titles that were waaay too old and noone bought.

Add that to chavs coming in and scratching the vinyls to fuck, wrecking the decks (we did actually have someone pinch the entire arm off one of our 1210s), and I can see why they canned it. It's just not worth it in the long run.
  16. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell check me a dollar brer?

Why do people bang on about how they miss vinyl???? Why dont you just buy if you miss it so much :lol:
  17. james909

james909 Registered User

##

I don't miss because i still buy loads of it.

Alt vinyl rocks when they have new stock in loads of transmatt classics and good new techno thats not generic minimal not to mention all the bunker and creme stuff thats out at the moment.

Plus ben is sound knows his music and does not mind ordering me loads of surgeon/ regis stuff on obscure labels and waiting 2 month's while i get the money to pay for them all.

I bought loads of records in the 3 for a tenner section at HMV Mr Fingers/Bam Bam and Adnonis seemed to be good haul for £10 even if they were reissues.
  18. MELT

MELT Registered User

the downstairs of hmv was not mint because of bainbridge, he came after kev auld who took it from the edge of extinction when hmv was where boots / suoperdrug is now in 1996 and singlehandedely built the basement up into what it was from 1996 - 2006, with a little help from the likes of flabski who now owns / runs beatdown.

with all due respect to bainbridge, he was not the main main man responsible for the success of the vinyl section in its hey day

kev auld was the main man. and after they moved him to dvd section upstairs it rapidly went into freefall
  19. MR KUHNT

MR KUHNT fifi man

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHA AHA HA AH HA HA HAHAHAHAHA AHAH AHA AHA AHAHHAHAHAH HAHAH AHAHAHA AHAHAHA

VINYL...LOL
  20. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

true, but the kid who managed it after bainbridge didn't seem to have a clue, and was far too busy perfecting his russell brand look.

Neil may not have set it up, but he did a decent job of running it after kev left. And once he went (and with kev upstairs doing the DVD buyer's job), it went to shit because noone can do it properly now.

still, it's not completely bad in town - zavvi has a decent vinyl section in the bassment now - not as good as HMV's used to be but still worth a look.

tbh I never bother with vinyl now - for what it is it's far too much effort. Too heavy, too costly, and too hard to look after.

I think as time draws on you'll see more and more people going digital - one of the advantages of vinyl was that you could get full length material weeks or months ahead of commercial release. With the advent of digital download and labels like azuli doing "mix friendly" cd compilations, it's made new music far more accessible and pretty much knocked vinyl on the head.
  21. Pierre

Pierre