Hmv

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Earl Grey, Sep 1, 2008.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell check me a dollar brer?

We're talking about vinyl, not Kerry Katona
  2. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

3. Phil Mitchell

to be honest the excuses of being too heavy and too hard to look after are pretty f'in lame :lol: :lol:.

As far as I can see the only real reason to go for downloads is price, instant access or ability to make changes to the tracks.
  4. trance_fan

trance_fan Registered User

Was he the lad who had been out DJing in Austrailia and that? Used to always chat to the vinyl bloke and get the latest reccomendations but forgot his name!!
  5. MR KUHNT

MR KUHNT fifi man

DIGITAL OPENS UP MORE CREATIVE OPPORTUNITYS WHICH ARENT POSSIBLE WITH VINYL WHICH MEANS THAT IF PEOPLE ACTUALLY STOPPED PISSING ABOUT WITH VINYL AND CONCENTRATED ON DIGITAL THEN THEY COULD BE BLOWING PEOPLES MINDS WITH THEIR MIXES.
  6. trance_fan

trance_fan Registered User

Not caring about record shops, since I gave up DJing, actually!!
  7. Phil Mitchell

So you didnt go to clubs and have an amazing time before Ableton was invented?
  8. james909

james909 Registered User

Or instead of trying remix everything they could just dig for great records mix them well.

If you want to be a live act buy analogue hardware as the sound is much fuller than mp3s.

A good dj can rock a party by playing good tracks at the right time on any format.

I dj because i like the music i am playing, not because i want redit it and stick some wank effects on it and pass myself off as a producer.
  9. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

i fucking hate him. no wonder the place has went to dust, although when i was there last (a while ago at that) a charver tripped him up in the middle of the dance album section.

score one for society.
  10. MR KUHNT

MR KUHNT fifi man

I AM REFERRING TO THE CREATIVE OPPORTUNITIES THAT DIGITAL PRESENTS A DJ.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMIX/RE-EDIT/RE-SAMPLE ETC...ANYTHING...

BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO IS MIX A MORE DIVERSE SELECTION OF MUSIC AND WITHOUT THE NEED TO BEAT MATCH YOU ARE FREE TO BE MORE CREATIVE IN YOUR MIXES...
  11. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

hmmmm.....

the one thing i loved about the vinyl era was that there was some skill involved in just getting the music. the right time to arrive at a certain record shop on a friday was critical - i still remember to this day being 5 minutes later than a friend down to bassy g's and missing out on the white of the now is the time remixes (i think im still a little bit gutted) :lol:

alot of the earlier releases of tracks were very limited prints, and it was challenging just to get one of these so when the requests started coming in for it, you didn't have to let anyone down and tell them 'its not out yet', even though the club/bar next door was playing it

now its all mp3 and it feels like theres a massive section missing from the 'artform'. digging for rare old music, or even just music that was still on promo and hard to come by helped give you a style - not that you cant have that now, but you just dont have to work for it these days

i think thats why theres so many copycat/wannabe djs out there now, its just not the challenge that it once was, looking for that one track to complete your set no longer involves traveling 30 miles and hunting through 10,000 record sleeves - its just right click, google, click, buy/download

hmv newcastle (after it took over mark one) was a god send and a nightmare - it made it so easy to get certain vinyl, but at the same time, 100 other djs from the area were playing the same sets as you

which leads me to all the remix/re-edits you hear nowadays. its not about getting a great track and destroying it, its about getting a great track and having a different mix of it to the other 1000 djs in your town - which is in a way the new version of digging for those rare tracks and getting your own style, is it not?

anyway, as romantic as it all sounds, and it was a great time for me, the format is a dead one. i'll be the first to admit that i was at the front of the battle field for the vinyl purists at one point, but that was just a difficult transition from what i knew so well, to something i would have to get used to. digital.

serato scratch live will be allowed in this years world dmc championships. if that doesn't say something about the format...
  12. Michael

Michael Registered User

ive made a promise to myself to start buying vinyl again as ive kicked smoking and am gonna be saving about £40 per week.

set the decks up other week with loads of old prog and was fuckin loving it!!

cant wait til pay day to get some new beats on vinyl!!
  13. Phil Mitchell

nail on the head, all people seem to need to do now is to look through DJ X's tracklist from a recent live mix, head onto beatport/soulseek , download the tracks and tada, they are "as good" as DJ X.
  14. Rory Space

Rory Space Gonny wreck yir fucking hoose Sweat tits

A use to get most my stuff off them like, main reason a got rid is coz it was costin me an arm and a leg lol. Was a nightmare gettin up2 date stuff aswell. If a had the funds to spend £5 - £8 per record again a wud probly still use vinyl.
  15. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

vinyls made certain djs exclusive - a certain dj had a certain vinyls that no one else had -now every one has everyones elses tunes - its a shame but u cant stop progress
  16. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

i used to like downstairs in hmv in around 1997/98
  17. james909

james909 Registered User

To don't really play music that everyone else plays and i tend to use a wide variety of website and record shops to buy vinyl so i don't feel the need to edit stuff i love anyways as i knowi have my own sound.

I buy a lot of older stuff as well which is not on beatport or whatever

The format is far from dead quite a few dj's still play vinyl i like having records as well it just feels better seeing them in the house than looking at a hard drive.

Take the creme and bunker labels all vinly and great music.
  18. stu

stu Registered User

Vinyl is dead, its too expensive, rare edits you think you can only get on vinyl can often be tracked down using things like http://hypem.com/
    and don't complain about the re-editers not getting paid it's not like they aren't bootlegging somebodiy elses stuff,

I was 100% vinyl for ages when everyone got on cds but carrying a massive heavy record bag vs a small cd wallet is a no brainer, but that still didn't convince me, traktor scratch however has put the nail in the coffin, all the control of vinyl with all the lightweight ease and ability to take all your music everywhere

as for everyone playing the same stuff as music is so easy to get a hold of, tough, you jump the bandwagon/play the same as everyone else, well you've just been found out, play some different stuff there's loads out there on mp3, also the copycats are only good as long as they've got somebody to copy they sharp run out of ideas and often haven't got a clue when faced with proper gigs where they have to adapt to the size of the crowd/time of night etc

I love vinyl but it's a joke paying £8 for something that is heavy when I can pay £1 for something that weighs nothing, obviously an absolute classic on vinyl would still be a purchase (some disco track 12 or whatever) as a vinyl collector but as a dj I'd record it from the vinyl as an mp3 to dj with
  19. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

Not just that, but for the weight of 50 vinyl in a case I could carry round 600-700 CDs with more stuff on?

If one of my vinyls gets scratched, it's fucked. If I scratch a CD beyond repair, I can just burn another copy (I rip everything I get onto my PC just in case I knack one).

No pissing about with styli, no mucking about with anti-skate and balance settings, no twiddling dodgy earth leads... get the picture?

One of my mates who is a DJ had this happen to him. He played a late 90s hip-hop style set in a local nightclub. We spotted one of the DJs from the bar along the road in with a notepad taking notes. We heard him the next week playing exactly the same set track for track in that bar, except he had no idea how to mix the songs together. And it sounded shit.

Its not the tracks you play, but how and when you play them. Its like you saying that you could give me one of your folders/record boxes for a night at habit and I could be as good at playing those tracks as you are. Somehow I doubt it :lol:

Every DJ has their own style with how they mix and how they put their mixes together. This is something that the average bedroom DJ won't learn by copying someone else's tracklist. You need a passion for the music you play - you won't get that playing other DJs music/playlists.
  20. RobBrown

RobBrown Registered User

music is music, enjoy it !!,,, its a headache all this talk

cheers
    :cool2: