The #Occupy Movement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Congay, Oct 15, 2011.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. TheSpence

TheSpence Registered User

They have mentioned "calling for an end to capitalism" & "corporate greed" & it is a anti-capitalist protest. Trust me they will be gunning for all corporations especially one with the amount of money Apple has stashed in its piggy bank. The next time that crowd kick off in a massive ruck I would imagine Apple will overtake McDonalds as the window to smash.

Your job is for employer & if you are drumming up them numbers good for you.
  2. Gary Proud

Gary Proud Registered User

Cummon Spence, If were going to do this don't start going all 'Pike' on me with stupidity.

Fighting the banks who gambled tax payers money away and were bailed out to the tune of £1.1 trillion resulting in mass job losses and a Nationwide recession will not spill over to corporate companies who have worked hard to get themselves out of a friends garage into a world leading organisation who create jobs with job security.
  3. TheSpence

4. Gary Proud

Uguysarenuts 1 points 3 days ago

I would wager 99% of this forum was created on apple products
    reply permalink
    oneofninetynine 1 points 14 days ago

I don't know about boycotting Apple, but you come off a bit hypercritical if you are not using a Linux based OS.
    reply permalink
    oclisa 1 points 14 days ago

Okay... so what are you going to use to get out your message? carrier pigeons? or do you think that because other manufacturers of electronic equipment pollute just a bit less, they are okay?
    reply permalink
    Dirt (Abilene, TX) 1 points 14 days ago

You fool! When you use the bike it causes you to breathe more heavily, thus making your personal emission of carbon dioxide larger!
    A better idea...BOYCOTT BREATHING!

Yep, sounds like a resounding success that one. I'm off now also.
  5. forks

forks still not dead

this analysis is spot on. My only objection is that you say our government asked us to bail them out. It just did it, never asked.

I think your optimism about apple may be misplaced though. I've never used anything other than apple gear all my life and I am an apple nut. But. If the economy tanks and mass unemployment reaches the levels it did in the 30's all companies making big profits now will no longer do so. Apple are high margin goods. They are vulnerable to a collapse just like any other. I guess people making Rolls Royces in the 30's would never have believed that they would be sold off for a song to the Germans.

In the past the only way economies have recovered after major depressions is after a war. The world is in a very unstable state. Nothing is impossible. Who knows, it might all turn out all right.

Can't see it though.
  6. S.E.C.T.

S.E.C.T. Kiss My Face

Crikey, lots of posts after I had to go to bed, some of you need to get a proper job!

Well I guess we will see what happens, I genuinely don't believe in any of the crap you are spouting.
  7. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

This is all to do with government debt, not personal debt. My girlfriend has never had an overdraft or credit card, has no loans, no store loans, no debt of any kind. She worked as a legal advisor for Citizens Advice, and due to government cutbacks to the Legal Services Commission fund, she lost her job (as CAB is LSC-funded). Luckily for us my wages cover all of the bills and outgoings on their own, but it means we've had to trim down on what we spend and where we go.

Whilst Proudy has a point, his employer would probably be making more money if there wasn't a recession on as I could buy an iPhone/iPad outright with the money I have left over every month if I wasn't paying it out on bills that my girlfriend and I would normally pay together. And when I say bills, I don't mean debt. I have two credit cards (both with zero balance), a clean overdraft, and my only debt is a house mortgage (which has actually gone down in payments due to the interest rate).

This crisis was started by banks lending money to people who were high risk (on low wages, with a high risk of not paying it back, with a poor credit rating etc). This was because the banks delved too greedily and too deeply - there simply wasn't enough profit for them in lending to those of us who were sensible and shrewd with our debts, so they start lending to people who are riskier and started charging them more, not seeing the obvious danger in charging people on low wages shitloads of money for loans. The end result is there for all to see. It's like trying to use those daft Wonga loans you see advertised on TV to mortgage your house - plain madness. It's like gambling - when you take higher and higher risks for higher reward, eventually you will lose. Only problem is that the banks were gambling with our money, not their own.

The problem is that this debt hasn't gone away, it's simply been transferred to the government as they've bought the banks out and offered financial aid, and this has escalated it to a much more dangerous level. As services and public sector jobs go we'll all start to feel the pinch more in ways we haven't even begun to realise. The previous government threw money around and at private organisations in such a way that most people don't realise how widespread it is and that this money is about to dry up as they have to pay back someone else's debt.
  8. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

Not necessarily true - my current employer started in a friends garage like yours, and is now one of the biggest IT companies in the world. What is different is the customer base - yours is mainly private individuals who walk into a shop and buy a product (or buy it online), mine is government departments and large corporations who buy it as a service or in bulk.

If this bites any harder than it currently is, we might both be at risk... People with cashflow problems usually cut back on the luxuries first and the essentials second. That extends to governments and companies as well.
  9. forks

forks still not dead

and the government have just given another 75 billion pounds of our money to the banks (or at least printed another 75 billion so that the value of all our money has gone down by that amount) in 'quantitative easing'
    The last time they did that what happened? the bankers used it to pay of their previous gambling losses and then bet on rising commodity prices which has fed through in higher prices for all of us.
    The government has been totally captured by the City which is about to piss away this latest benefit cheque on more of the same.
    Meanwhile they try to distract us with immigration scares and stories of benefit scroungers.

It boils my piss
    Gary Proud likes this.
  10. TheSpence

I did say some on that site which was correct. The Occupy movement is also about tax dodging http://occupynewcastle.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/occupynewcastle_ema_uni_colour.jpg & the lines between Occupy & the Uncut movements are less blurred than those that Dr Fox was operating in. Apple in the USA looks like it gets the treatment Vodafone/TopShop do in the UK by the far left/Uncut

http://usuncut.org/targets/apple & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYMpGIEF_l8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VZqZvuYHXE & http://www.ukuncut.org.uk/targets/4
  11. TheSpence

That was days after Cam Con Conf speech got released saying something about people paying there credit card bill off. Credit card debt for the UK was worked out at at £53 billion it would of been cheaper to pay everyone's CC off then putting money into a system that gobbles up billions quicker than Greece.
  12. TheSpence

13. forks

forks still not dead

they need a bigger slice of the market
  14. TheSpence

They would of if management had of used there loaf.
  15. Willa

Willa Registered User

They'll take a pasting unless the administrators come in.
  16. N.C.

N.C. ............?

17. Gary Proud

They will have more globally, but Exxon and Royal Dutch Shell generate nowhere near 3 times as much revenue.
  18. Gary Proud

19. S.E.C.T.

S.E.C.T. Kiss My Face

20. S.E.C.T.

S.E.C.T. Kiss My Face

I do understand the economic crisis, I mentioned personal debt because Manboobs or whatever he's called referred to my personal circumstances in his drivel