the new Traktor Scratch Pro...apparently

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Jobbi, Jan 28, 2011.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Kind of expensive eh - 1600 quid so you can control the transport functions of a single deck on traktor.

Don't see the point of it myself.
    DJHOSTILEVIRUS likes this.
  2. DJBOOMVIRUS

DJBOOMVIRUS

lol ...............
  3. BRID

Ever considered the after dinner speaker circuit?
  4. DJBOOMVIRUS

DJBOOMVIRUS

5. BRID

I've been pushed over the edge.

The DJ shop near where i work have them IN STOCK today.

Think i'll pop over after work and see if i have enough guts to buy one, and then whack all my other kit on ebay to soak up some of the cost.
  6. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

old habits die hard brid? ;)
  7. BRID

.... I've just come back from having a massive shit, and my temptation and excitement has died down a bit. I might hold off and sell all my shit first - and maybe actually get a gig or something to justify the outlay. Ha ha.

Close call.
    DJHOSTILEVIRUS and Conway like this.
  8. BRID

Change of plan.

I'm moving to VINYL.
    Conway and DJHOSTILEVIRUS like this.
  9. DJBOOMVIRUS

DJBOOMVIRUS

why dose it allways come back to the money with you mate .... SAD :( if youve never played on the 2000s how can you diss them , dont belive everything you read on review sites :) everyone iv spoke to really likes them , dosnt matter how much they cost :)
  10. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

Not all of us have £3K to rinse on a pair of them thats why, and there are other solutions out there that do the job just as well.

To be honest, once you've used one Pioneer CDJ, you've used them all. The layout is pretty much the same on all of them, they just have more or less functions and abilities based on their model number.

Consider this - you've bought a pair of them, and if you're using them for traktor, you're not using them to anywhere near their full functionality. You aren't using the CD, Mass storage (USB) or the clever networking functions included with them, and you aren't using them to their full potential. You're just using them as a glorified midi controller, and you aren't using the rest of the functions included.

Some of us don't want all of those functions - some of the people on here just want a midi controller instead of an all-singing all-dancing CDJ that also happens to double up as a MIDI controller. I would rather buy an Akai APC40 (if I was going ableton) or an S1/S4 (if I was going traktor) at less than 20% of the cost (and about 70% of the functionality) :)
  11. DJBOOMVIRUS

DJBOOMVIRUS

lol so your saying the 2000s are the same as the 1000s ???
    i dont just use them for traktor mate like you say it would not be the best thing to do :) its handy having the 1 usb fed to the two decks via the pro link ...:)
    just out of interest mate , what will you be using for sunday trading ???
  12. DJBOOMVIRUS

DJBOOMVIRUS

my s4 is comming tomorra conway :)
  13. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

No, I'm saying they're similar. The buttons are laid out in the same places. The 2000 has loads more features, but it is deliberately similar to the other models so that those familiar with the older models can pick em up and use em straight away. If you've used an 800, you can pick up a 400, 1000, or 900 and understand how to use the basic functions straight away. Same with the pioneer mixers. Most other manufacturers do the same thing.

As for me, I'll probably be using either CDs, or a Denon HS5500. It's a bit like the 2000s, but has a built-in hard drive and two channels, rather than the one channel on each of your Pioneer players.
  14. DJBOOMVIRUS

DJBOOMVIRUS

nice one mate , probs see you down there then :)
  15. BRID

Why does everything come down to the money?! Honestly have you been boshing gram lines of ket or something?

It comes down to the money because its a WASTE of money for me to have a 225 quid sound card, a 200 quid XONE:1D and a 180 quid Kontrol X1 and THEN to buy the S4. I could go to the shops TOMORROW and buy everything you own that afternoon but its not the point - For me personally its about having fun with what i have, and when i'm done with that, i move onto something else - I spend about 0.1% of my time dj'ing and 99.9% of it actually listening to the music.

Living in the REAL world, as i do, i actually make decisions about what to, and what NOT to spend my money on. And given the fact i've dj'ed to real people (and not my pets, bessie mate on the bed, and the neighbours next door) less times than i have fingers on my hands, i don't quite feel its necessary to just keep buying loads of kit when in actual fact all we end up doing half the time is blending one track into the next - which i can say i'm very much rather good at now (It aint hard).

.... you can do with your money what you want, and from what i see, what you want is to amass as much mainstream pro specification DJ'ing hardware as humanly possible - Well done to you son.

I can't quite figure out this dichotomy you have going on when you talk about it being 'about the music' in one thread, and then constantly going on about dj'ing kit and buying just about every bit of hardware going and talking about it in other threads. How about making your mind up about what your actual opinion is and sticking to it.

Between that and 'liking' every single thread you read, you are doing a good impression of someone the general public should be very afraid of.

I'll save you some time and give you your answer now : "LOL......................................................................."
  16. DJBOOMVIRUS

DJBOOMVIRUS

i have djed to people brid ... lol

so why do you keep dissing the 2000s when you havent got any , are saying all the clubs that have the 2000s making the wrong choice in your mind ??? your a computer dj and thats a fact lol .....
  17. BRID

Shall i buy them and then diss them? Is that how it works these days? Damn. Silly me, I apologise.

The clubs bought them because everyone else buys them. In other words they are the 'industry standard' - which is the precise reason YOU bought them. If Behringer or Numark brought the exact same product out you WOULDNT buy them.

IN MY OPINION (Since its a messageboard and they tend to thrive on discussion and opinion) Pioneer have failed to innovate with the CDJ2000 - the price has gone up, and the feature set doesnt bring anything new to the table. They made themselves a massive success with the CDJ1000 which took an emerging market and entered it with a flagship product that did the job PERFECTLY. 7-8 years on and the price for a single unit of their flagship model has went from 749 quid (which is what my first CDJ1000 cost me) to 1600 quid and fundamentally all it does is output an audio stream with a varying pitch, and plays from a variety of popular media. And just like with the DJM800 which also outputted a midi signal (which nobody bothered with), it has a load of 'me too' features that nobody has a practical use for (Why would anyone use two of them to control traktor?) - Which is why nearly every single person on this messageboard who dj's or promotes has NOT bothered to buy one. Tell me i'm wrong on that one?

Them coming out with a Traktor controller is a panic response to the fact that the industry is moving more and more towards controllers and computer based dj'ing. If you'd followed NAMM this year (you probably didnt) you would have known that everyone is bringing controllers out, and moving away from inflexible mechanical devices like CD players.

Anyone who dj's on CDJ's knows its a royal fucking pain in the arse burning CD's and takes half the fun and spontenaity of using their decks and arsing around with a CD wallet.

Obviously you have bought one, and are emotionally invested in what you've done, to the point where you have to defend them on the internet. Good on you.

I am a computer dj and thats a fact lol ....
  18. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

Your fucking mint you like brid :up:
  19. DJBOOMVIRUS

DJBOOMVIRUS

so you just copy off every one else ... lol
  20. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

Hence me getting an HS5500. For just under £400, I get almost all of the functionality of your two CDJ2000s in ONE player (Brid will be able to back me up on this as he's owned one). It does MIDI, it does USB mass storage, it has two audio channels (effectively two decks in one) and it has a raft of other features, plus you can add a hard drive to it and store all your music on it. The irony? Denon brought out AND DISCONTINUED the HS-5500 long before Pioneer got either the CDJ900 or CDJ2000 to market.

Pioneer make some snazzy kit, no doubt about it, but I wouldn't consider them market leaders in the digital frontier of DJing. For vinyl you have Technics/Vestax as the standard, for CDs it's the CDJ, but for MP3? It's all wide open, and Pioneer have stumbled as the starting shot has rang out. It's all to play for, and sticking to the tired old single desktop player-format isn't the way forward or the solution when it comes to controlling complex digital software.