Satellite remix

Discussion in 'Productions' started by Rory Space, Dec 27, 2010.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Rory Space

Rory Space Gonny wreck yir fuckin hoose. Sweat tits

Satellite remix

Yo, almost finished this remix now so thought I'd upload a more up to date sample as it's changed a hell of alot since the last sample I uploaded last month. I have done alot of the key work from scratch, you'll hear bits & bobs through the sample that you won't have heard in the original or any other remix.

I've said this with everything but this is by a mile the hardest track I've tried to remix yet, trying to remix such a classic is never easy, especially when it's a classic that belongs to Above & Beyond. Maybe i'll get lucky & they'll like it lol who knows.

Still, enjoyed the pressure of remixing it :lol:

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/rory_space/oceanlab-satellite-rory-space-remix[/SOUNDCLOUD]
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Paul_Shepherd85

Paul_Shepherd85 .

nice one mate with a bit of work this could be a canny tune. what i would say is clean up the percussion a bit put a bit more treble in the kick drum so it's got more of a pop to it. some of the sounds in it are a bit raw and they sounds a bit pre-set but some of the sounds work well with that tho. are you using studio monitor speakers mate?
  4. Rory Space

Cheers man, just took ur advice there & done soted the kick, i've still work to do on the rest of it 2 like as i feel theres a bit 2 much going on. Kick sounds so much better now though, i'll upload u a sameple n whak it over if u like, don't wanna keep uploading to soundcloud as it drains the quality a bit.

As for monitors i do have them yes but to be honest i've done most of the track with headphones lol as daft as that may sound, i just get the sound i want then sort it all out lateron if i like it, can't use the monitors as much as i'd like to with living in a flat :(

Most of the stuff i've worked on i've got sick of & not bothered mastering etc, the tiesto & edward maya remixes were the only ones that i didn't fuck off.

Edit: whaked a new sample up
  5. hummel

hummel Fucking imbecile

Rory the only monitor speakers you have are the ones attached to your laptop screen :lol:
  6. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

You been commissioned by Above & Beyond to do an official remix?? :lol:
  7. Rory Space

Look i'm not posting this for any childish comments b4 they start, I'm posting it mainly for the people who don't log in, as i'd be off my head to think the majortiy who do log in would leave me any decent feedback.

Not trying to show off with the remix, some like it some don't some will some won't, lets leave it at that yeh, for once :) and the remix is a bootleg, unless they like it, i'm in contact with them if they don't like it i'll scrap it & learn once again.

Thanks to paul though for his feedback :)
  8. Rory Space

9. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

Nice percussion/drums, near the start, pretty nice track. This is what I think needs doing to bring it up to a more professional sounding level though.

Offbeat Bass(?) sound: I can't decide if that offbeat bass (is it meant to be bass?) sound is meant to sound like that, or if it's meant to be a more bassy sound, like a typical offbeat trance bassline. If it you were trying to do an offbeat bassline, then it needs to be lower and more bassy. I can't tell if that's what you wanted though, because it seems to have a relationship with the other bass sound, which definitely needs sorting out.

More Chuggy bass: The more chuggy bass is a bit muddy in the mix, and definitely not well enough defined. It needs to more full and have more presence and power. There is a bassy sound that comes in at 4.38 which I think would work much better. Either way, I think that the best way to approach a sound like this that nearly works but is lacking something, is to look at it's components and start again from scratch (or maybe just try reapplying your filters/EQ's)

Also, the first melody that comes in, at around 1.51, I feel should be opened up a little more to letter in some higher frequencies, to make it sit better.

The second melody after that, is pretty nice and works well.

Have you been applying filters and EQ'ing properly? Certain sounds, like crash cymbals can be a bit distorted. This would indicate that you're not applying filters/EQ's to give yourself extra space in the mix.

I'm no professional, but if this were my track, this is what I'd aim to change in order to improve it.