Playing other peoples tunes on Ableton Live

Discussion in 'Music' started by chris l, Feb 4, 2005.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell check me a dollar brer?

neither

they're both of people who are stuck back in the 80's :lol:

Been rinsing out a bit of Ableton and finding it perfect for where i want to go with my stuff
  2. Þ€tè®*

Þ€tè®* Registered User

its alright, its not the future tho, if everyone started using laptops instead of acually attempting to learn to mix etc id stop going out, if im going to pay to watch someone play from a computer i may aswell just stay in and play music off mine, i'd save a fortune :)
  3. Þ€tè®*

Þ€tè®* Registered User

haha u cant say its the way forward because its just like any other form of technology, some like it and some hate it and both have valid points. I agree some people can use it well, but i prefer to see a dj go out and twiddle a few knobs as you like to say ;) and see them doing tricks etc.
    Live re-editing doesn't do anything for me either, at the end of the day if you found a track you like but think it could be done better you could just remix it at home, throw it on cd and play it out, you may say thats easier but it rounds itself off really, someone using ableton will be twiddling his knobs to change the track, a dj will be playing with his to mix it in lol
  4. Granty

Granty 38°52′48″N 1°23′30″E

Got Ableton live 5.0.1 and still haven't figured out how to use the fucker (properly). Although I've only had it a week.

I think all forms of djing/mixing have there advantages. I have Technics 1200's and I'm looking to add some cdj800/1000's to me collection as well. (And I once said that technology takes the fun out of djing....... along with many others). :D
  5. Phil Mitchell

its well easy , what you stuck on?

I played on it for about 7 hours yesterday and reckon this is JUST what i have been looking for. So many times have i wanted to add additional loops over the tracks im playing but literally dont have enough CDJ's in front of me to do it.

Will also be using it for editing aswell......I made a jacking house bootleg of 2Pac - Hit Em Up using the original track and the beats off a Swag track in about 10 minutes and tbh , its wicked....the looping and nondestructive editing features are ace

Can see me integrating Ableton into sets along with CDJ's and EFX500

Now just need a laptop , a midi controller and a USB Soundcard :cry:
  6. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

Whats the specs for running ableton live?

Just asking because I've already got a laptop which i use to record my sets... wouldn't mind having a bit play of there's a demo version available :)
  7. Þ€tè®*

Þ€tè®* Registered User

that sounds well interesting, im all for the programme when people use it as you intend too, with cdjs aswell :up:
  8. Granty

Granty 38°52′48″N 1°23′30″E

Everytime I try to play a track from my hardrive or a cd it just plays a hissing noise. Like when you pause a cd on your hi-fi when the volume's up loud :confused: Haven't hooked up me decks and mixer yet though as the software is on me desktop pc in a different room (need it to be near a phone socket).

tbf I haven't read through the manual or owt. Just couldn't wait to get started. Only been on it twice though 'cos I've been at me birds the rest of the week.
  9. r3m1

r3m1 Registered User

Been using ableton for a while now and have got to the point where Im using it more than decks and the like. For making tracks up on the fly its amazing. It also allows for resamping off vinyl on the fly without needing an extra sampler. All in, when combined with a decent controller, it pisses over every other form of music source available...

although it still looks like your checking your e-mails energetically. :(
  10. Phil Mitchell

sounds like something to do with the In/Out section

go to VIEW and turn on In/Out, have a mess about with the Audio From/Monitor/Audio Sections
  11. Phil Mitchell

I know of one who recently played in the North East :eek:
  12. Dan

Dan Registered User

The Ableton arguement continues! Someone who uses the program to its full capabilities is equally as skilled (if not more) than a DJ that uses vinyl or CD's, so whats the fuss?. Ive only scratched the surface and i dont think ill ever go back to vinyl - unless i want to play older stuff.
  13. Willa

Willa Registered User

morillo uses it in every set, and he still can't beat match haha. like at creamfields last year, it was the worst set i've heard in terms of dj quality, but ppl were still loving it as he was playing all the big tunes. i stood thinkin "can you ppl not here how shit that mixing is?", then thought fuck it and carried on out the tent.

i'm personally not too fussed about how a dj plays their sets, but it is better for the atmosphere in a club if the dj gets amongst it on both cds and vinyl, nothing better when you look up from the floor and see the dj having it behind the decks, instead of just playing with a laptop, it gets the positive feeling going in the club.
  14. M.C.E

M.C.E 1981-2013

It makes me laugh when people say a DJ looks boring stood behind a laptop but not when they are using Vinyl/CDJ's...

What would happen if a laptop Dj bounced round the booth like an idiot and was really getting into it whilst clicking the mouse/using the controller? Would you people still think it was wrong? :lol:
  15. Play

Play Registered User

:lol:
  16. Phil Mitchell

I think all the people at the Sasha Warehouse extravaganza will disagree with most of the comments in this thread

for the billionth time.....

if your music is good, people will dance...if you need to dance around behind the decks to make the crowd enjoy it then you should reconsider djing and join the circus because you talent obviously lies elsewhere
  17. French William

French William _________________

:lol:

Made me think of Ross on Friends playing keyboards with an 80s 'tache.
  18. Phil Mitchell

:lol: :lol: :lol: and not far from the truth:lol:
  19. Þ€tè®*

Þ€tè®* Registered User

pah it's still cheating ;)
  20. Willa

Willa Registered User

i never said it was wrong mate, if the tunes are good and the set is well built, then it doesn't matter really what the dj uses, but eddie halliwell/alex kidd/andy whitby are prime examples, the energy they put into a set boosts the crowd, not even mentioning how technically good they are as a dj. i never said it was essential, it just lifts the crowd aswell as the music does to hear and see the dj working the decks and the mixer.