New Pioneer DJ USB DJ Controllers for Traktor/Serato

Discussion in 'Technology' started by fizz, Jan 11, 2011.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. demonik1

demonik1

brid
    i have been stuck in middle for ages now as to wich one of these controllers to get, had the money for ages but not gone ahead yet.
    whats your honest opinion on them the s4, the ddjt1 or the ddjs1 ? would be nice to know from someone that has one and tried the others.
    cheers
  2. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Hmm.... its a tough one.

If you like using CDJ's and like the 'feel' of pioneer kit and arent too bothered about sample decks (i'm not) then i reckon the Pioneer one is a very good contender. Although its 150 quid more.

The Native Instruments one has more features, and will get a free upgrade to traktor pro 2. Although i think the sound card drivers have some problems at the moment. I managed to more or less fix my issues with a usb hotfix for windows 7 yesterday which was a relief - although the unit suffers from some layout problems (the headphone mixer location)

Go for the Native instruments one if you arent too fussed about being a bit overwhelmed to begin with, with the change from CDJ's. And save yourself 150 quid. I still think the Pioneer one is a very nice bit of kit - but its just more expensive and does less - hardly seems worth it.
  3. demonik1

demonik1

so the s4 is better ? basically i've never used a controller but have used cdj400's and traktor scratch. i like the idea of the s4 but everyone goes on about pioneer build quality etc so i'm stuck as to wich to go for,obviously the s4 will have better traktor software but the pioneer has the build quality,or does it ?
    thanks for you're input it has been very good and informative and unpartial
    cheers mate [​IMG]
  4. BRID

I think the S4 edges it on price and future proofing. The Pioneer is very nicely made, more simplistic and has the pioneer feel - but its always going to be one step behind the S4. Still, its a very nice bit of kit.

Get the S4 i reckon.

Glad my ramblings on here have been useful :)
    Conway likes this.
  5. PaulAlcock

PaulAlcock

I had a look at the traktor pioneer thing on saturday at phase one in darlington and i thought it looked cheap. For 900 quid i'd want something a bit more substantial looking. Was in there to have a demo of the new Denon MIDI controller and they have somethign similar to the pioneer. MC6000 i think it was called - looks a lot more sturdy so i suppose it depends on whether it's going to gigs or not. It can also act as an analogue mixer as well so can put decks or CDJ's through it. One other plus point for the denon is that it's only(!) 600 quid!!
  6. BRID

I'm a big fan of Denon kit, and had a chance to look at the same controller as well. The integrated mixer is a really good idea actually, and its got that excellent Denon build quality.

Plus, it fits in a dj bag, unlike the two new Pioneer/NI controllers that have rendered my slappa DJ bag utterly useless.

... i'm assuming tho - that it doesnt come with traktor pro. So you'd have to figure in the costs of that, assuming you don't want to run an 'eval' version ;)
  7. PaulAlcock

PaulAlcock

I went down to look at the SC2000 which is just the midi controller from denon and ended up seriously thinking about the MC6000. Gotta flog a CDJ-1000 before that happens but i'm hoping i've convinced my mate to buy the mc6000 and then getting him to flog me his audio 8.

The denon just felt really solid and it would withstand some abuse whereas the pioneer just looked cheap and plasticky. I didnt get a chance to actually use the pioneer so couldnt comment on that side.