Network Attached Storage

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Lee, Jan 5, 2010.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Lee

Lee original gowans artwork

Network Attached Storage

been fancying a networked alternative to my hard drives recently.

ive got a 500 gig western digital my book which i dont wanna hoy away but im looking at getting a deent looking enclosure so i can just chuck 3.5 inch hard drives in as and when i need to expand. anyone came across and decent looking ones with atleast 2 bays which would go well with a black htpc setup?
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Aaron!

Aaron! Coming soon...

4. Lee

5. Aaron!

Aaron! Coming soon...

No idea mate i just checked hotdeals and there was on one that site for about £250 but wasn't as good as either of them so posted them. You could try dabs/ebuyer or just keep an eye on the computer section on hotdealsuk if any decent ones are avaliable cheap they'll get posted on there.
  6. Lee

aye, i keep an eye on hotukdeals a canny bit like, gonna payn a bit more attention to nas enclosures like.
  7. Congay

Congay Registered User

so whats better with NAS storage from using a htpc?
  8. Lee

ive just set up a homegroup for the time being, only prob is the htpc has to be on for me to get files onto the laptop
  9. Congay

Congay Registered User

can you expalin that in lehmans terms please :lol:
  10. Lee

a homegroup is basically a piss easy setup for a home network. u follow the instructions to setup a homegroup on one pc and itle give u a password. on the other pcs u select join homegroup and provided your all connected to the router either wired or wirelessly u just enter the password and your all connected. u basically select what folders u want to be able to share by right clicking on them and clicking share with then select homegroup.

basically easy home networking for novices.
  11. Lee

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-N2B1D-Blu-ray-Attached-Enclosure/dp/B002YDN12U/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1"]LG N2B1D 2 Bay Blu-ray Network Attached Storage: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]
    or
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Stora-Home-Media-Server/dp/B002SNBCSQ/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1"]Netgear Stora 1TB Home Media Server - 2 Bay Network: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]
    or
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-ReadyNAS-RND2000-Storage-Solution/dp/B001O35S7M/ref=pd_cp_ce_1"]Netgear ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 Home Storage Solution: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

which one do you's reckon would be best,
  12. always

always Registered User

Get an old PC, fill it with every spare hard drive you have and stick http://freenas.org/freenas on it :up:

i set 1 up as a test, i had it so it would turn on at a certain time every morning (bios) and shutdown at a certain time (cron) - also set all the drives up in a software array - worked pretty well