Media bias

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by Yosef Ha'Kohain, Aug 1, 2006.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. psycaholic

psycaholic Registered User

i think the british media have been pretty even tbh and have goor reports from both sides of the fence joe's just got a bee in his bonnet cos it's is showing his beloved in a bad light (quite rightly aswell imo)
  2. SoapieTW

SoapieTW Registered User

In all fairness there is going to be bias in any media coverage in any country to do with anything news based. We've got in in our own country between papers and the political views etc, not just to do with world events and our postion.

its sadly how life goes, people want us to belive certain things, however its alot harder to do nowadays with the internet etc. Whereas back in the world wars propaganda and other biases were easier to create as there were few other means of discovering about "the other side"
  3. Rob

Rob Registered User

4. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

I'd say that story was critical of Israel and theres also about 5 other stories on the middle east page that are critical of Israel (I can't find one critical of Hizbullah or Hamas)
  5. Rob

Rob Registered User

I just don't see that, it seems like they are telling us what happened, is some of it lies or half truths? :confused:
  6. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Inflated Lebanese death tolls (notice the "Lebanon says"), 2 lines commited to Hizbullah atacks - about 150 lines devoted to Israel attacks.
  7. Rob

Rob Registered User

The lines are devoted to the effect of the attacks, not the attacks themselves.

If Israel is doing 75 times more damage is this not a fair distribution of the page space?
  8. Rob

Rob Registered User

This may well be a fair point. What do you understand to be the actual death toll at the moment in Lebanon?
  9. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Reuters news agency put it around the 700 mark, AFP news agency is around the 550 mark, Israel's was around the 500 mark.

Non of these account for how many of the dead were Hizbullah fighters (Except Israel) which is strange when all occidental news agencies report how many Israeli troops - Hizbullah kill.

Buit this makes sense when we consider that Hizbullah are noble warriors while the IDF are baby killers :rolleyes:

Israel claim that 300+ militants have been killed (of a 2,500 strong force).
  10. Yosef Ha'Kohain

2 out of 150 lines is not 25%, 0 out of 6 stories is not 25%.
  11. Rob

Rob Registered User

I said 75 times, not 75%. :)

It's a hard thing to quantify tha actual 'damage' because it needs to include deaths, building, roads, morale, resources etc etc.

How many more times 'damange' do you feel Israel have done than Hezbullah, if you had to put a guess on it based on the news you have seen?
  12. Yosef Ha'Kohain

about 10 times... they kill one Israeli we kill 10 Lebanese, they take out 1 building we take out 10...
  13. Jambon

Jambon Jambons Disco Club

maybe israel are been shown in a bad light because they are the ones in the wrong for using excessive force?

*edited as id just woke up and that made no sense
  14. psycaholic

psycaholic Registered User

fair point TBH
  15. Rob

Rob Registered User

So it should be fair for the BBC to give 10 times the coverage to the 'damage' to Lebanon?

I'm sure they are doing better than that?
  16. Yosef Ha'Kohain

how do you figure that one out?

Hizbullah fire rockets form buildings endangering the lives of the civilians within them.

Israel respond in the only way they can (if they are to put an end to the attacks).

Civilians are killed along with militants.

The militants are just as guilty as the IDF... Israel didn't choose to bomb the buildings - they were forced to.

The story is not as black and white as you paint.
  17. Yosef Ha'Kohain

in the wrong?

How else do you respond to an attack on your country?
  18. Rob

Rob Registered User

I didn't paint any picture, I wasn't talking about right and wrong. Unless I've missed the point we are talking about media coverage, not my opinions on who is in the right?

You said that Israel are killing 10 times as many people, I said that I think that the BBC are not giving 10 times the coverage to the damage in Lebanon than they are to the damage in Israel.

Does that not make them biased towards Israel if anything?

I'm not trying to disagree with you, just trying to give a balanced reply to your thread topic. :up:
  19. Yosef Ha'Kohain

The media focus should lie on Lebanon, however, when the media is critical of Israel, in that same breath, it should also be critical of Hizbullah... There would be no destruction without Hizbullah, there would be no civilian causalities without Hizbullah, there would be no war without Hizbullah.

This is not reflected in the media... Instead we are told that Israels response is disproportionate... they fail to mention the missiles being fired form civilian structures, they fail to report the emails sent from UN observation posts stating that Hibzullah was drawing Israeli fire upon the building, they fail to mention the political under tones to the crisis... they fail to mention a lot.

This isn’t a case of Israel bombing 10 buildings, this is a case of Israel bombing 10 buildings that Hizbullah have used to launch attacks on Israel… Therefore the media coverage should not be 10:1 – it should be equal.
  20. Rob

Rob Registered User

Erm, how many 'attacks' have been launched from Beirut so far again?

And how many buildings have been destroyed?

I think that would give us a inifinity to 1 ratio of news coverage against Israel. ;)

I know what you mean btw. :)