Martin O'Neill

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Gary Proud, Aug 18, 2012.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. S.E.C.T.

S.E.C.T. Kiss My Face

Bad day at the office :cry::cry::cry:
  2. 5_8_6

5_8_6 Registered User

well, he's clearing his out now..hahaha

i had serious doubts from the off - with how long he'd been out of the game then sticking with some players who obviously, aren't up to it..a shame, but i think we'd either have gone down or just scraped it..you look at some of the teams around us or even beneath us, as they're playing some half decent football and getting some goals - we're awful..

as it stands (and as you see, time and time again), a new manager can get players working again and instill some belief..who knows..we may just manage to stay up and get some results.
    Congay likes this.
  3. S.E.C.T.

S.E.C.T. Kiss My Face

Its a ridiculous time to be sacking your manager
  4. Congay

Congay Registered User

I think its a GREAT time to be sacking him. A new manager 'effort" could win safc two games which is all they need.
  5. 5_8_6

5_8_6 Registered User

i agree with you and maybe it should have been done sooner, or not? this is a last throw of the dice for us, this season..if he keeps us up, then fair play to him, if not - then he wasn't given enough time...what a rubbish season..haha.
    Congay likes this.
  6. jamesclimax

jamesclimax Registered User

Do you think the appointment of Di Canio is a good one? Plenty of decent ex-players can talk a good game, but how many make decent managers? You've been here before with Keane, as have we with Shearer. He did ok at Swindon, but he's far too much of a hot-head and I think long-term it'll end badly. He'll still have the same players to work with between now and the end of the season.

Going to be interesting though.
  7. 5_8_6

5_8_6 Registered User

he did a good job at swindon, but (as strange as it may seem at the min) sunderland and swindon are poles apart..he's a bizarre choice, but who else of true quality is available? some of the names mentioned, filled me with fear - ie, mark hughes.

i'm not even going to get into the fascist / racist thing, as i haven't got a clue, what it's all about and the differences etc etc.

keane did a decent job for us (at times), whereas shearer did nothing for your lot and i doubt he would tbh..getting him in, was solely to try to get the fans on side, wouldn't you say?.

PDC has a 2.5yr contract, so we're gonna have to hope he keeps us up and see where we go from there..it's a right old mess! haha.

deffo going to be interesting!
  8. jamesclimax

I don't care about the fascist whatever, because it's nothing to do with football.

My comparison with Shearer is purely because him and Di Canio were both ex-players at the top level, and have both been brought in at about exactly the same time to save a team from relegation. It ended badly for us with a manager who had zero Premier League management experience.....
  9. 5_8_6

5_8_6 Registered User

i'm pleased to read that

PDC had previous management experience and 'charisma' and passion..we'll see if the bit of experience and the other things i mentioned, pay dividends.
  10. jamesclimax

Not in the Premier League, as I said. Big difference between motivating the likes of League 1 & 2 players, and the likes of Adam Johnson. Do you think a player on £40k per week or whatever would be happy to be literally kicked by his manager as he came off the pitch????

Not denying his passion, but that can only get you so far. It's still O'Neill's squad (and Bruce's apparently) who havent performed this season at all.
  11. 5_8_6

5_8_6 Registered User

sorry, i missed the premier bit...

totally agree about the difference between (and the gulf) with who we are and who he's previously managed.

the majority of the players for us at the min, aren't playing to their full capacity or the standards expected of them, from themselves (i'd imagine) and deffo the fans.someone needs to be looking into why that is...

the kicking was a one off, i'd imagine? people seem to be willing to play for pardew, even though (allegedly) he's got form for dipping or trying to dip, players wives...

the motivation thing you mentioned is a key factor..MON seemed to have well and truly lost that (and rarely had it, truth be told)..can PDC motivate and instill some beilef into us, for the next few games? i'd like to think so..certainly, the next 2 could decide our season...
  12. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

The last twice SAFC sacked a manager in March, they were relegated the same season.

You would have been better off giving him the chop a couple of months back when any new bloke could have made a difference.
  13. Ian Cox

Ian Cox Registered User

I think it's going to make the derby game even more interesting. Him storming up the touchlines giving it the biggin'. However not only is there the omen of sacking your managers in March getting you relegated there's also the matter of some bloke called Fletcher who just so happens to be a bit of a black widow in his spare time! He will have done well if you avoid it after the way you played on Sat, Gaz Nev summed it up perfectly at HT when he said none of them looked interested or wants to take responsibility. Someone is going to have to put their hand up with the run in you have. As much of a cock is he is you lot could do with Cattermole in the side just to try and get everyone motivated, the current lot seem to lack any sort of backbone whatsoever. I'm intrigued to see how PDC gets on though, I always think it's great having characters managing in the BPL and i'm hoping Jose will be back for next season too!!
    Congay and Conway like this.
  14. Congay

Congay Registered User

Nah, NUFC are only 3 points above and apparently "they are safe". SAFC will win 1 game due to this change and that's it. Job done.

PDC can be caught in bed with two 10 yr old boys dressed as Hitler Youth in the close season, as long as SAFC are in EPL his job is done.
    Ian Cox and Conway like this.
  15. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

We're not safe, far from it. Which is why I'm not gloating too much...

lol, just lol :lol:
  16. Congay

Congay Registered User

Remember I am the man who said di canio would get the job two hours after MON left. I will be proven write here as well. Ill bet £100 to anyone that we stay up
  17. 5_8_6

5_8_6 Registered User

proven right
  18. jamesclimax

Your remaining fixtures and the points I reckon you'll get -

NUFC (a) = 0
    Everton (h) = 0
    Villa (a) = 0
    Stoke (h) = 3
    Southampton (h) = 1
    Spurs (a) = 0

4 points I reckon. Which puts you on 35 = relegation.
  19. jamesclimax

Oh, and PDC = Papiss Demba Cisse
  20. 5_8_6

5_8_6 Registered User

i was going to come along and say we're in big trouble - but you know what happens when you open your mouth james, ..haha.

as i've said for a while, the teams below us are banging some goals in and looking like they want it...we're awful..IF we do stay up, it's gonna be by the skin out our teeth.