Ive Got A Virus Again

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Vin, Apr 23, 2005.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. dodgy

dodgy rowr kitty super meow cat

If it's showing as a small red cross, I'm guessing that either Flashplayer isn't installed or is turned off. See here: http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19166

What it says about enabling ActiveX could be why housecall isn't working
  2. Vin

Vin Registered User

Mike, you are a ture geek, as these last 5 pages have proved! Il get you a few beers when i see you next! One last challenge for you though! :D

Just about there now i think. Got IE working properly. Have ran Housecall successfully.

No viruses.

No worm/trojan horses.

10 Spywares, which i have removed.

1 vulnerability as follows:

Risk Level - Critical
    A remote code execution vulnerability exists in MSN Messenger that could allow an attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability to take complete control of the system.
    Then it gives a link underneath How to Fix called 'MS05-022', but the webpage of this link doesnt work. I just get this message - "Page Not Found. Sorry, the web page you're looking for was not found. A report about this error has been sent to the webmaster. The page may have been moved or removed. If you got here by typing an address into your browser's address window, please check your spelling. To continue, try entering a keyword into the search form above or find your topic in the site map below."

How about that one? :confused:
  3. Vin

Vin Registered User

Just spotted that.

Should i still change it anyway, or just leave it now?
  4. dodgy

I'm not a geek! Just very sad. :D

I'm guessing that's telling you to update msn messenger, as there's been loads of critical updates recently - go here: http://messenger.msn.com/ to download the latest version.

You might want to cosider getting a free small program called SafeXP: http://www.theorica.net/safexp.htm - if you read the helpfiles with it, it is very easy to use, and turns off some of the dangerous default settings in XP.

You don't need to change that registry setting now if IE installed again correctly, if you ever need to re-install it but it won't let you, then use that registry change.

Glad it's all sorted matey! :D
  5. Vin

Vin Registered User

Disaster! Cant even boot up my computer anymore. Writing this from work. :(

Basically i tried to install MSN Messenger 7.0.
    It said my IE wasnt up to date enough and gave me a link to install from.
    It wouldnt install.
    So i changed that Regedit thing to 0.
    Installed IE successfully.
    Restarted. (Should i have changed the Regedit thing back to 1 first?).

As it was booting up it stopped and gave the following messages.

winlogon.exe Entry Point Not Found
    The procedure entry point AssocGetPerceivedType could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll.

lsass.exe Entry Point Not Found
    The procedure entry point AssocGetPerceivedType could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll.

services.exe Entry Point Not Found

User Interface Failure
    The Logon User Interface msgina.dll failed to load.
    Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL, or restore the original DLL.

It then has a 'Restart' thing to click on. Try again and same messages. Tried again in Safe Mode, but same still happens.

Help! Have i well and truly fucked it and lost all my files? Let me know if theres anything i can do, and il print it off and try it when i get home later.
  6. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

come on the mr "i've never had to rebuild a PC in my life" Dodge :lol:

FFFOOOLLLSSSS

(soz Vin!)
  7. dodgy

:lol: :lol: :lol: Suck me hairless balls on this one Phil! :lol: :screw:

Vin - that's happened probably because of an error while installing, it's fairly common

Anyways, to fix: (i'm so fucking mint...)

Boot from the XP cd (you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that your cd drive is at the top - hit F2 or whatever it says when you first turn on the pc, then go to wherever it says the boot menu is, and change the order so that the cd drive is at the top)

At the welcome to setup screen, press R to repair (so that you go to the recovery console)

(All things you should type are in bold)

Type 1

Enter the administrator password (the password you put in when you first installed XP)

Type the following commands, and hit enter after each one:

cd \

cd windows\system32

ren winlogon.exe winlogon.old

ren msgina.dll msgina.old

ren shell32.dll shell32.old

ren shlwapi.dll shlwapi.old

cd..

cd servicepackfiles\i386

copy MSGINA.DLL c:\windows\system32

copy SHELL32.DLL c:\windows\system32

copy WINLOGON.EXE c:\windows\system32

copy SHLWAPI.DLL c:\windows\system32

If it can't find the files in the servicepackfiles folder, type the following commands, enter after each one: (assuming D:\ is your cd drive with the XP cd in, otherwise change it to E:\ or whatever)

expand D:\i386\MSGINA.DL_ C:\windows\system32

expand D:\i386\SHELL.DL_ C:\windows\system32

expand D:\i386\WINLOGON.EX_ C:\windows\system32

expand D:\i386\SHLWAPI.DL_ C:\windows\system32

cd\

cd windows\system32

ren *.dl_ *.dll

ren *.ex_ *.exe

Then type exit and press enter (remember to change the boot order back in the BIOS so that you boot from the hard drive)

Fucking sorted :up:
  8. Vin

Vin Registered User

I got it it to run Mike, not sure how though!

I did as you said and got as far as entering the Administrator Password. But i couldnt remember it. Well, i actually use the same password for everything i do on a computer. Typed that in and it didnt work. i could not have put anything else, so im totally stmuped. :confused:

After 3 password failures, it restarted, but it gave me a few options, one of which was 'Last Known Good Configuration'. I hit that one, and it booted up fine.

But im worried that the computer is still fucked. Do i need change that Regedit value back to 1? Can i find my Adminstrator password somewhere from Windows? Or can i do these repairs now from Windows without a password somehow?

Think i might back my files all on to a couple of Ipods before i do owt else.
  9. dodgy

You just like keeping me busy, don'tcha? :lol: :p

Back up your files for definite, always best to be on safe side - but best using cd's if you can, iPods can easily wipe data.

that regedit value will be 1 anyways as IE has been re-installed - but you'll need to change it back to 0 now, as the way to fix those files now is to re-run that IE setup program - once you have done that, forget about that key forever!

everything should be back as normal, but since you restored to a previous config, you might want to run AVG and all those spyware scanners straight away, then go to windows update and make sure all your patches are up to date.

There's various ways to change your admin password, but quite complex - anyways, as you're logged in now, you'll be using the admin account. So best forget about it for the moment, if you ever really really need it, I'll show you then :)
  10. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

let me know when u decide to flatten it... it's only a matter of time... it'll never be reet.....
  11. dodgy

What ever happened to "Mr Helpful"?

Re-formatting is for quitters. :p
  12. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

i am helpful!!!!!!!!!!just, it easier for me to rebuild it at this point that try patch it!!

i always feel it's never the same again... and i'm a geek who likes to rebuild it occasionally - it's like redecorating :lol:
  13. dodgy

If you quit and re-format, you'll never find out what happened in the first place, and you'll never increase your knowledge, and you'll be constantly asking for help - it's better to fix it, 'cos if it happens again to yourself or others, you know what to do :up:

Dodgy's Law: "Fuck it, fix it, then fuck it again." :D
  14. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

II'MM TTHHEE MMAANN OOFF SSCCIIEENNCCEEE

i always know whats been done - i've usually done it. just saves times for me :cool2: :computer:
  15. dodgy

Wasn't meaning 'you' personally, was meaning it in the general sense! sorry MoS! :lol:
  16. Vin

Vin Registered User

All clear now i think!

Just ran AVG and Housecall. No problems found. Windows starting and restarting fine. Only took 5 pages! :lol:

Phil i think you will have to bow down to Dodgy on this occasion. :king:

Cheers Mike! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Worth several beers i reckon for your efforts.
  17. dodgy

No worries matey! :D Glad it's finally sorted :up: *phew*! :lol: