Internet Problems

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Geordie, Apr 24, 2009.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Geordie

Geordie "Im Outta Time"

Internet Problems

Right....

I have an iMac which i dare say isn't on its way out, i didn't used to have any problems but i have noticed recently when i am going to download stuff it starts off ok then gets longer and longer to the point where i give and fuck it of. I have noticed now as well that Msn signs itself out which i can only presume is the loss of internet connection as well as mates saying that on Facebook my chat thing says i am online then offline etc.

I rang Virgin earlier to the same old fucking shit, turn it on turn off so this and do that were gonna send signals but its still the same.

Anyone shed any light on this or does it just sound like even tho i am on broadband that its losing connection all the time?

Cheers
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. forks

forks still not dead

I have the Imac virgin combo and its so variable, but never anywhere near the 8mb they claim. It's not the machine cos there are others on the network that are just the same.
  4. Geordie

Geordie "Im Outta Time"

I phoned Virgin again this morning and got through to an English bloke who checked the signals n that and said there didnt seem to be any probs, i was told to not use i through the router of which i am not doing at the moment (Belkin Router) and just going straight from the Modem into the iMac.

I wanted to download and Oasis set the other day and it was one of the ones that kept taking longer n longer everytime i looked but it seems to be ok now however the only problem i have now is that i doubt me Mam is going to be able to use her laptop while i am on if it is the router or do i go out and buy an Airport device what Apple make as it seems it maybe the router?
  5. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

i never have any problems with my virgin connection. you got your router secured? no-one else hijacking your signal, downloading tons and getting your connection throttled?

virgin (Cable) is better than BT (ADSL) as you dont' suffer from distance to the exchange or the amount of users online in your area - i'd say it's a router or PC based issue.

you say your mum has a laptop, have u tried downloading on that? see how quick it is. Also, see if u can borrow a router from a mate and see if that makes a difference. Also, have your mum's laptop connected STRAIGHT to the cable modem and try downloading something. atleast then u can narrow down to where the problem is.
  6. forks

forks still not dead

can't get cable in Hexham pah
  7. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

your ISP is Virgin BUT you're on the ADSL technology - broadband over BT old-fashioned copper phone lines
  8. forks

forks still not dead

I know I know. It's shit.
  9. Geordie

Geordie "Im Outta Time"

Turns out for this it was the router.

When i use the Wi-Fi it disconnects quite frequently n kicks me outta Msn n says am offline on FB - when i connect the cable to the Mac it works fine so i just alternate when mother goose wants to use Wi-Fi for her laptop.

I will either phone Virgin n get a router off them for nish or get that aiport thing n see if that makes a diff hew