Good, fun mountain bike/downhill routes in the Newcastle-Gateshead-Prudoe areas?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr.B.ThatsMe, Mar 20, 2010.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Mr.B.ThatsMe 'yi raji puff

Good, fun mountain bike/downhill routes in the Newcastle-Gateshead-Prudoe areas?

I went to Whinlatter in the Lake District yesterday for some downhill biking and loved it, although I could do with working on my fitness a lot over Easter and through the summer because it half-killed me getting to the top which took away from some of the fun of going down.

Does anyone here know of any decent places to go once I'm back home? Downhill, leisurely XC or maybe even some jumpy stuff would be great. I ordered a BeOne Karma 2.0 yesterday which I can't wait to get out and about on!
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. DN HY

DN HY 142 bmp

chopwell woods might be worth a look, av not been since i was alot younger but i remember it being really good.

http://mtbnortheast.ning.com/group/chopwell
  4. Granty

Granty 38°52′48″N 1°23′30″E

Not sure how far it is from you, but the Woods from the top of Hexham (Dukeshouse Wood) down through to Corbridge (coming out at Diltson College) was always a good track back when we were out on the bikes a lot.

You could go round in circles up there an it's still a decent ride out.

**EDIT - Of course I know how fucking far it is from you. You live in the same place as me.
  5. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Haha! Live in the lakes now, but out of term time I'm back in Crawcrook :D I'll defiitely check out chopwell woods, if I can get some of my mates on the wagon then hexham way would be fine with a roof rack for the cars.
  6. Granty

Granty 38°52′48″N 1°23′30″E

Cycle to Hexham y' lazy bastard ;)
  7. Den

Den no, seriously.

If you're prepared to go a bit further Glentress near Peebles in Scotland is one of the best in the country. About a hundred miles from here though.
  8. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Pretty sure I was supposed to be going there yesterday but the lock on the trailer was knackered so we had to settle for somewhere local. I might see if I can sneek into next weeks practical if they are heading up to Scotland then.

For now I just want somewhere local to newcastle area though, as I'm a complete beginner :p I'll definitely check out chopwell next weekend though.
  9. wayneo

wayneo

aye glentress and innerleathan have class downhill routes,inner's being the harder!
  10. Rossco

Rossco

Went up there yesterday and had a quality time. Some excellent downhill and a really decent park. The afternoon trip back to the top was a killer tho...
  11. Mr.B.ThatsMe

I made the mistake of riding uphill with my seat pretty low.. nearly had to get off and push :facepalm:

Put it up eventually and the difference was ridiculous.. felt like I'd been riding in a totally different gear. Shame I only decided to put it up as we were about to blast downhill again though :dunce:

I'm on the hunt for some decent pedals atm.. thinking about the Wellgo MG1's. £30 on ebay!
  12. Anderzz

Anderzz Registered User

Chopwell woods aint a bad ride for an easy day out.

Alternatively theres Hamsterly Forest down bishop aukland which is a pretty good trail.

Its awesome getting out on a mountain bike.

Ive got Wellgo MG1s on my Pitch pro and they are great pedals. buy em :)
  13. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

anderzz, where the fuck have you been! :eek:
  14. Anderzz

Anderzz Registered User

Haha..

I know man, i just made that post then thought, fucking hell its been months since ive been on here.

I aint got internet myself in my room here, but im using a mates laptop so i thought id pop online.

This RAF station could seriously do with some wifi in the accomodation. Im lost without my broadband.

I was pissed oot me napper the other week in absolution like. busting some crazy charver shapes. Banging lol
  15. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Ordered the white ones. Apparently the paint falls off like dandruff through, and I'll need a pair of shin guards to go with them from reading the stories :p

What do you reckon about a helmet? Should I get a normal mountain biking one, or a bmx style helmet? There seemed to be a mixture being used on the downhill the other day. I'd prefer to buy only one.
  16. Anderzz

Anderzz Registered User

If you wanna go more agressive then get a full face helmet, I dont have one at the minute but its on my shopping list.

something like

http://www.stif.co.uk/gear/select_options.asp?productid=7652&store=mtb

thats what i fancy.

Otherwise a Giro hex or xen is a good helmet but aint full face.

Shinpads i currently do without, but some decent knees are a good idea.

If you get into it seriously then you need to buy more armour
  17. Mr.B.ThatsMe

I heard those pedals will rip your shins to bits if they make contact so I'm gonna play it safe. I don't need a full face helmet yet though. Imagine what I'd look like doing the blue trails with one of them on :p
  18. Anderzz

Anderzz Registered User

them pedals arent really any more lethal than others, but i imagine they will sting a bit should ya scrape em. which ive luckily not done just yet.

its an expensive hobby mind :)

I cant wait to finally get back on my bike next week, ive had months off due to work.

I definately recommend a Giro Hex though, ive got that helmet, its light, well vented and cheap enough at the 50 quid i paid
  19. JIMI

JIMI Not an Administrator

either on a messenger of death or a naval base
    i heard eldon square is a good call like, up hill and downhill, stairs and everything
  20. stuwrong

stuwrong Registered User

Giro used to make one called the switchblade with a detachable chin guard so you could use it for DH then take the guard off for XC..not sure if they still do it but im sure there would be something similar about
  21. stuwrong

stuwrong Registered User