Eddie @ the Boat

Discussion in 'Music' started by snow, Jan 3, 2005.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Mr. B

Mr. B Registered User

Was that just so Coxy could get in?
  2. Mr. B

Mr. B Registered User

Umek?
  3. MR G

MR G Registered User

probs the wrong crowd for techno creating the wrong atmoshphere.
    some of my mates said it was a good night,I wasnt there so cant say
  4. MR G

MR G Registered User

would have to be umek on form though
  5. MR G

MR G Registered User

is timewarp not a main event on the techno calander
  6. MR G

MR G Registered User

thats not what im saying at all. Some one said mauro picotto is never assosiated with the likes of vath- yet he played at time warp last year.

mauro would never be able to play at timewarp unless he had respect from proper techno fans
  7. MR G

MR G Registered User

mauro picotto
  8. chris l

chris l Jack!

Suprised you don't rate Beyer like lee. Even if you're not into his style I'd have thought you would appreciate he's a very talented dj.

I don't really think you can call a comparison between funky looped techno being to hard house as the type of techno you play is to house - it's a very elitist comment to make I reckon.

Where is your line between stuff being souless loopy shite becoming stuff you like?

How is the sound ever going to be pushed any further, or develop if the people into it and playing it are so purist about it that they aren't prepared to listen to anything different objectively coz they see it as "commercial techno" or "mainstream"?

I understand what you're saying, but I think it's a very purist point of view, and it's one that keeps all the different genres so separated - especially the way it is up here in the toon

WHICH IS WHY NO-ONE COMES OUT TO A TECHNO PARTY IN THE TOON WHEN SOMEONE PUTS ONE ON :D :D :D
  9. magicpaul

magicpaul Registered User

Yes he did. Which is great! :D

However on the whole he has struggled to get recognition from the "purist" techno community. Especially in the UK, where we are notoriously arrogant when it comes to things like this. Die hard fans of people like Jeff Mills and Richie Hawtin don't usually rate Picotto that highly.

Attitudes are changing. But my point was that if someone like Mauro has struggled for recognition young Eddie has no chance! :p
  10. Mr. B

Mr. B Registered User

There are plenty of DJs who obviously are very talented that i'm just not into. That doesn't mean their not good at what they do, just means i'm not into them. Simple as that really.

Also, the reason I said I wouldn't hold any of the people I mentioned in the same esteem as Jeff Mills because he has been around since the mid-80's when the whole thing began and has pushed things forward a hell of a lot more than most.

Heh heh, your reading too much into that, Chris. It was a joking comment aimed towards Si and his sweeping generalisation of Techno. You've took it the wrong way.

I dunno. Everyone likes what they like. As i've already mentioned, if I hear something and I like it. Then I like it.

As for the 'Soulless Loops' remark. Thats an opinion on quite alot (by no means all) of Techno around at the moment. Its not a slur on anyones tastes, its just an opinion. Because it seems to be the 'in' thing at the moment, there is alot of shite knocking about.

Thats not to say all loop-based Techno is shite. Its not. There is some proper stuff out there.

The people I have mentioned in all previous posts are all people I have heard before, in one way or another. I'm not just making blind statements. Its not that i'm not prepared to listen to some stuff because of certain preconceptions. Its that i've listened to it and its not for me :)

Fucking hell. Thats was time consuming! :D
  11. chris l

chris l Jack!

:D

hope you had a good new year mate, all the best for the new 'un.
  12. Mr. B

Mr. B Registered User

Aye, all the best to you too.

Hope you had a good one too. Catch up soon hopefully :D
  13. PSagaR

PSagaR BANNED

I think UMEK al night long playin the loopy stuff is pure ass-shakin fun, not meant to be taken too seriously, as Andy Weatherall once said I believe. Some like it, some don't, but I fuckin loved it when he played Sankeys, and enjoyed both the torture chamber cds.

True though, there aint much 'soul' to it
  14. MR G

MR G Registered User

Mauro is still a new comer to the techno scene but he has already done alot, putting on nights in Ibiza.
    I no Eddie would find it just as difficult to be a accepted, I was trying to say he has the skills to play techno on a level with the likes of cox and the crew
  15. Mr. B

Mr. B Registered User

I don't think there's anything eletist/arrogant going on. Just that people who are into Jeff Mills and the Detroit stuff tend to not be into the kind of 'Techno' Mauro is pushing.

Simple as that really.
  16. Mr. B

Mr. B Registered User

Thing is, you don't think, "I'm going out to hear some clever mixing". You think, "I'm going out to hear some good music".

Thats why.
  17. MR G

MR G Registered User

Techno Djs use skills to make the music.Playing techno using basic mixing is boring, people could do that at home in their bedrooms. what im on about is the fact that people go to see the likes of cox and dave clarke because of the skills they have, to mix techno in their own unique ways.which is why some like cox some like hawtin and others umek, and therefore do go to see them for their skills.
  18. Mr. B

Mr. B Registered User

Si - I just said it :D

Your just talking about one kind of Techno there mate. Not all of it is the looped stuff thats getting discussed here.

From one persons point of view, bad music mixed well is still bad music.
  19. MR G

MR G Registered User

what type of techno are you talking about then?
  20. Mr. B

Mr. B Registered User

I'm talking about all kinds of Techno.