Don't say it... spray it

Discussion in 'Fun Stuff' started by Yosef Ha'Kohain, Feb 28, 2007.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Rob

Rob Registered User

Does your religion allow you to advocate and promote something that it prohibits you from actually doing yourself?

I'm no expert on Jewdaism but I'd be amazed if that was true?
  2. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

be amazed.

we can't marry gentiles, but we're encouraged to promote marriage in the gentile world :up:
  3. French William

French William _________________

That's not promoting something you can't do, it's promoting something entirely different.

Why should big corporations like Nexus be targeted? Why's that more acceptable than other properties? Am I allowed to steal as long as it's from a huge chainstore and not a cornershop or someone's home?
  4. Yosef Ha'Kohain

My religion prohibits me from marrying your sister ( :( ).. Just as it prohibits me from writing on other peoples walls.

The reason I support the targeting of corporations like Nexus is because they were awarded multi-million £ contracts to provide a service, they were awarded these contracts to provide a consumer concious service which we could afford... Not only do they hike up prices to unbearable levels (they can do this because they monopolize the sector; no competition = no limit ticket fares)... but they also plaster ugly adverts all over their carriages and drive them through my neighbourhood forcing me to look at them.

They exploit the poor, degrade the neighbourhood and are everything thats wrong with the modern era.... I'm all for sticking it to the man :up:
  5. Rob

Rob Registered User

So you are saying you can encourage people to vanalise as long as they are not Jewish but to encourage a Jewish person to do the same act would go against your religion?

Not that I am saying that you should or do follow all of the teachings of your religion, I'm just interested where this all sits in your religion (seeing as you brought it up).
  6. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

This is idiotic, I don't particularly object to advertising on the metro because it is carefully regulated, carefully placed and helps keep my fare down. I have never said it is a public service and don't think it is.

You're saying this is the same as spraying all the outside of the train so you can't see out and raises my fare to have it cleaned off.

These are just the practical points, I can't believe you're arguing for the moral right of individuals to trash property regardless of the size of the company - where's your profit cut-off for acceptability of vadalism? £100000? £1000000?

I take it if someone trashed your premises you'd be irritated? How about if they spayed somethin anti-Semitic up there? Or is graffiti only OK if it doesn't offend you and isn't on your property?
  7. Craig_M

Craig_M Registered User

I read in the paper a month ago that a house sold for £500,000 more than it was worth because it was tagged by a Graffiti artist. Cant remember his name, but I think it said he was dead now
  8. Yosef Ha'Kohain

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nexus are a government run corporation that generate huge revenue streams, advertising has no impact on your ticket price - the money goes straight into their coffers.

Who cares about whether you can see out of the window? You're an affluent toff who's only visiting Newcastle... I'm more concerned about the poor families that can't afford the extorionate fares but are forced to look at their shit adverts when their busses/trains come hurtling past their houses.

Advertising was not part of the contract.

:lol: you cant resist the antisemitic card... racial graffiti is not the same as graffiti, just as racist comments aren't the same as normal comments.
  9. French William

Joe your whole arguements crap. It just comes across as a spurious moral crusade and I don't believe you actually believe in it.

What about state-owned transport systems? What about transport companies that run cheap and efficient services? They're still tagged, but not for any of the reasons you've mentioned I suspect.

The only reason trains and similar are graffitied is because they can be accessed at out-of-the-way places where there'll be practically no passers-by, or rather witnesses. This whole stick-it-to-the-man mentality is nothing more than a weak excuse to try to justify what you know is wrong.

But anyway, as I said before, I think it looks good, so I don't mind. Just think you're arguement stinks.
  10. French William

And by the way, advertising IS part of the contract.
  11. Yosef Ha'Kohain

most writers dont bomb for the reasons I cited, but i gave my reasons for supporting them :D

most writers have their own reasons and its often just to fuck shit up :D
  12. forks

forks still not dead

loving this thread. Joe as the poor mans friend, striving to save him from the horrors of corporate advertising by plastering his neighbourhood and transport systems with mindless copies of stylised lettering imported from new york.
    Advertising may be in your face and a lot of it is shit but I've been amused and delighted with adverts far more than graffiti. It is 1000% more creative than most scummy shit that litters the place.
  13. Yosef Ha'Kohain

bollocks.

they were given the contract to provide cheap transport for the masses, not to line their coffers.
  14. French William

:lol: :up:
  15. French William

I thought you meant the contract between bus company and person using the bus.
  16. forks

forks still not dead

:lol:
  17. Yosef Ha'Kohain

:lol: :lol: you dont talk like an artist.

who decides what has artistic merit and what doesnt? personally I'd rather look at an inch tag than a painting created from elephant shit.
  18. forks

forks still not dead

it has to display some creativity IMO. Most grafitti just apes other grafitti. I know there are writers who have talent and show creativity but in general what you see around you is derivative shit done by people with small penises
  19. Yosef Ha'Kohain

like most artistic movements.
  20. forks

forks still not dead

true. but shit art is in galleries where you can choose to see it or not. shit grafitti is everywhere and it's really boring.