Don't say it... spray it

Discussion in 'Fun Stuff' started by Yosef Ha'Kohain, Feb 28, 2007.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

What a shit argument, why should a rich multinational director get to drive an aston martin when I can't? Why should a footballer get a mansion in cheshire when I can't? Should I just break the law to get the things I want but can't afford? And let the public pay to pick up the pieces?
  2. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

The two are not comparable, the aston martin is not something which engages us... the billboards plastered around town are for us.

The multinationals dont put up those billboard for their own personal pleasure... they put them up so that we're forced to look at them.... just as a graffiti writer will.

The two use different methods to achieve the same goals.
  3. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Mr.B.ThatsMe 'yi raji puff

You can't argue that a 3 letter tag done with black paint on the front of somebody's shop shutters serves the same purpose as an advert on a billboard! Yeah, we're forced to look at both but the difference is, the advert is informing the public of something that a lot of 'us' will appreciate at some point. A tag is simply somebody's attempt at leaving their mark with no respect for other peoples' property and claiming no responsibility when it comes to the money needed to clean it off. I'm sure if your only source of income was your family store and one day you awoke to find someone had sprayed shit all over the front of it, you wouldn't be so quick to assume it was no different to someone sticking an advert on the front. Even so, the adverts you speak of are those that are in designated spots and payed for so you don't run the risk of awaking to find them stuck all over your property.
  4. adam.

adam. kthxbi

claiming no responsibility when it comes to the money needed to clean it off.

as i said.....i pay me taxes. id much rather it goes on buffing panels than paying for prince andrew to fly to fucking somewhere far off to attend a meeting on climate change, or payin for prisoners laptops and lcd tellys.
  5. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

Didn't you say your house got graffiti'd once Joe? I take it you totally supported their right to express themselves in this way?
  6. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Your point is completely invalid. If someone grafitti's your property, you are responsible for cleaning it up. If you don't clean it up then your store or whatever is going to look scummy.
  7. adam.

adam. kthxbi

you can report graffiti to councils and they'll come around in a buff van and clean it off for you free of charge, i know this because i had to do it for community service (which wasnt due to a graffiti related offence either)
  8. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Which I'm sure isn't done an hour after you report it. There is still going to be plenty of time for people to see a local store looking manky from the outside and no doubt a lot of people will choose to goto the local co-op instead.

When you say you'd rather taxes went on buffing panels, it's as if the government won't increase tax as more and more money is needed to clean up your mess. It's like saying it's ok to go round kicking mirrors off cars cos it's only the insurance company's who are going to be forking out to fix it. :rolleyes:
  9. adam.

adam. kthxbi

There is still going to be plenty of time for people to see a local store looking manky from the outside and no doubt a lot of people will choose to goto the local co-op instead.

-if the shops open, the shutters are going to be up, therefore no graf would be visable. you'd have to be a right tit not to go into a shop because of a tag anyway.

it's like saying it's ok to go round kicking mirrors off cars cos it's only the insurance company's who are going to be forking out to fix it.

-not at all, you need wingmirrors to competently drive a car, you dont need clean shutters to run a successful business.
  10. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Yes I am. If a shop doesn't look presentable from the outside then people will end up heading somewhere else. As you well know grafitti to shops doesn't just happen on the shutters. It gets done over windows, doors and on the walls.
  11. Rob

Rob Registered User

Can we just confirm that everyone who is defending tagging on other people's property is happy for me to come and write 'CHAV' in big pink letters on your house?

If you say no you are being hypocritical.

If you say yes you are lying.
  12. Rob

Rob Registered User

Ok, it's like going round keying cars, I presume you would not mind if I scratched the word 'chav' into the side of your car? Being as it doesn't stop you competently driving a car?
  13. French William

French William _________________

I think it looks class most of the time, don't mind it at all. But it's a stupid arguement to say it's comparable to a billboard etc. Whichever way you look at it, it's illegal and a lot of people don't like it and think it makes places scurffy looking. It can't be justified unless you've got the property owner's permission.
  14. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Graffiti ethics put houses off limits.

And no we had bricks through our windows.
  15. Yosef Ha'Kohain

You really think the adverts are there for a public service :lol:

trait of the era.
  16. Yosef Ha'Kohain

99% of writers wont tag other peoples personal property... they target businesses.
  17. confuzzled

confuzzled Registered User

some businesses are personal property though?

in respect of all partnerships and sole traders the premises they use will be owned by an individual not some faceless corporate entity - do the writers conduct a company search before they decide which bits of property are ok to tag and which aren't?
  18. Yosef Ha'Kohain

houses and cars are off limits is the general rule of thumb.

But anything from trains to white vans tend to be fair game... I didn't write the rules.

But ethics do exist... you only need to walk the tracks to see how much damage gets done, yet this is rarely transfered to peoples houses.
  19. Rob

Rob Registered User

The building I live in has a mixture of residential, retail and offices. Is it ok to tag my front door because it's also entrance to a law firm?

What about people who run businesses from their houses, are those properties fair game?

I'm amazed you'd defend people's right to vandalise other people's property, I can only presume you are doing it to provoke debate?
  20. Yosef Ha'Kohain

I dont support vandalising private property and my religion stops me from damaging anyone elses property (so I dont bomb).

But I strongly support those that hit large corporations like Nexus, the fact that people in this thread say that advertisers are doing us a public service depresses the hell out of me... we live in an age of insanity.