China a rising giant or..

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by Yosef Ha'Kohain, Jan 18, 2007.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. forks

forks still not dead

no they will fill up the palm tree islands with millionaires. loadsa disposable income
  2. forks

forks still not dead

I don't agree about service economies by the way. It's not about servicing just your own economy. The film industry art music theatre could all make loadsamoney abroad, the city and banking of course, shipping, education, design.... you don't have to actually make something to make money
  3. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

:lol: the arts aren't going to support a nations economy forks....
  4. forks

forks still not dead

well you aren't going to sell many chinese guitars without the arts :p
  5. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

:lol:

fortunatly my company isn't propping up the british economy ;)
  6. forks

forks still not dead

fortunately my art isn't either :lol:
  7. Oasis

Oasis Peter North-east

We hit a peak in the last century and we're never gonna get there again. We simply don't have enough land to compete with countries like China.

China could pretty much be left alone and survive on there own product. Britain relies upon alot of countries to supply us with what we need.

Like Joe said, the next 50 years will see China become the world super power. It's quite a scary thought that the world we know will be run by a country that isn't in the west. Who knows what will happen!
  8. Oasis

Oasis Peter North-east

My Dad works in China and he's an engineer. So they're oviously drafting in Brits to help with there taking over the world.
  9. Alexander

Alexander Registered User

china will never win they don't even have a keyboard for a computer, because they don't have an alphabet!!! they have some kind of predictive text type system which is so slow and inferior to our method, it will set them back thousands of years!!!
  10. Sweeney

Sweeney Registered User

Is that true? haha. Id never thought about that. A Chinese keyboard would be canny confusing like :lol:
  11. forks

forks still not dead

thank god were all right. I thought for a bit that China might take over. I hadn't counted on the keyboard problem.
  12. Leon

Leon Non Board Moderator

Yeah they do, have you not seen james bond?? The chinese operative uses a red laptop with a keyboard!!
  13. spud693

spud693 Registered User

14. Alexander

Alexander Registered User

read that windy, its a predictive text type keyboard as i said!!!

and when writing code for computers they use the alphabet because its easier and saves time.

I haven't a clue why they don't change to an alphabet, its lots less hassle.

Can you imagine trying to send a text? it would take weeks if you were pissed.
  15. scruf

scruf Registered User

I beg to differ on that, we're all assuming there will be one or two "super powers" and basing this model on precedence since ancient Egypt and beyond.

Globalisation, mobilisation and spatial decentralisation of economies and workforces has never in these past 3000 years allowed us the opportunities that advances in technology have given us in what is less than 20 years. It's impossible to predict what changes will occur in our lifetime but we are experiencing a rate of technological development unseen since the industrial revolution so I think it's too tight to call, but I see an even more globalised economy as opposed to now, and an ever techno hungry east experiencing rapid labour cost increases.

Interestingly though, on the point of China propping up the West, a significant percentage of the US national debt is owed to the Chinese.
  16. scruf

scruf Registered User

what gave you that impression?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4983780.stm

this government is making itself more immune from prosecution by the day..

Most nations of any size tend to have this - it's hardly a distinguishable merit..

Not much use when the white 'English first' speaking population of America will be a minority in twenty years time.. Continental Europeans are far more flexible and diverse culturally in terms of adapting to new languages, this puts us behind our neighbours..
  17. forks

forks still not dead

Are you suggesting that Mandarin will become the dominant internet language? or that the USA will adopt Spanish as a first language?
    Or that if either of those things came to pass that no effort would be made in the UK to teach Spanish or Mandarin?
    as the world moves so will we (I hope)
    How many Mandarin speakers are there in europe? more than here ? I doubt it.
  18. Oasis

Oasis Peter North-east

The rate at which we advance could also be the thing that fucks us up. The silicone chip can only be made so small before it becomes unable to carry an electrical current. Unless we find a new material or a new way of making microchips then technology will come to a halt.
  19. forks

forks still not dead

I remember reading that in Victorian times someone had forecast that cities would grind to a halt in the 20th century because the increasing amounts of horse shit in the streets would stop people moving goods about.:D
  20. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

After the whole Esperanto debacle, I shall be leaving it until the last possible minute to learn Mandarin.