Broadband

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Rossy, Jan 3, 2010.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

Broadband

Not sure why my post disappeared but Sky Broadband is shit now. Has something like a 2gb limit. Plus we were paying loads for a 2mb line

What's the best these days for people who are going to download quite a bit? x
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. hummel

hummel Fucking imbecile

I've got sky broadband unlimited and it's uncapped and I download more than 50gb a day at times. Costs me around £15 a month extra on my tv bill with unlimited calls and I haven't rang them up for any special offers etc because I can't be arsed to speak to some useless ghandi flipflop durka durka cretin called Dave or John.

You're generally going to get a better deal when everything is bundled together and you having the telephone via company you have your ADSL with. How much was your total sky bill per month already and did you ever think that having a 2mb line was a bit shite anyways?
  4. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

I don't pay for it. My mam doesn't want sky anymore, so she told me to find another broadband provider.

So an uncapped fast one for me would be great.
  5. Aaron!

Aaron! Coming soon...

6. hummel

hummel Fucking imbecile

What are your call centre opening hours?

Our call centre is open 24/7, 365 days a year, and is operated by a very talented team of customer service professionals in Bulgaria.

Fucking hell, they operate from Laygate flats in South Shields then :lol:
  7. Lee

Lee original gowans artwork

ave just got sky unlimited in because of a package we get but ive had be before and theyre mint, was getting 2.4mb/s one day downloaded a crysis demo in minutes.
  8. LeeTheMackem

LeeTheMackem Lets Cacky Tash Him

Im lucky to get 400kb/s with sky unlimited :(
  9. ZeGermens

ZeGermens I Am A Fucking Hero

ring them up and get them to re configure your line. we constantly get people ringing up on unlimited packages complaining of slow speeds and its cos there line has been reconfigured to less than 1 meg most of the time so it can be put right in a matter of seconds. ring during the day and you'll get through to an English call centre, it will just be full of foreigners working there lol. the speed check websites are inaccurate as fuck aswell so if you wanted to find out your true internet speed at the master socket (which is the only place that sky guarantee it from go to internet explorer and type in 192.168.0.1 username admin password sky and that should give you your proper speed.
    also might be worth checking you have the internal set up ok in your house. not double filtered or anything like that and might be worth changing the routers frequency. fixes alot of problems.
    just out of curiosity what package you on rossy?
  10. Aaron!

Aaron! Coming soon...

I've never used Be but would go with them if we couldn't get virgin.

[​IMG]

That'll do me ;)
  11. Lee

u win lmfao
  12. Nass

Nass sound. Staff

what zegermans said Rossy - i've heard about that trick sky are doing where they reconfigure the speed and waiting for people to complain before giving them their proper speed. you just need to get on the blower.

sky used to be good before we got rid of it and me and you are on the same exchange.
  13. Lee

what exactly is it they are doing just so ave got some idea what am talking about when i inevitably ring up to complain about me dismal speed
  14. ZeGermens

just ring up saying your getting slow speeds all the time. we will then carry out a test which gives you the actual speed your getting (download and upload) the speed sky have capped your line at, even if its on unlimited package and the max speed your line can handle.
    for example if your on unlimited package you would usually find:
    download speed at present would be say 10000kbps sky have capped you at just over 10000kbps but your line could handle up to say 17/18000kbps so we could just put you straight up to max speed.
    there is a few things worth doing like resetting internet explorer to default settings, deleting history cache etc, making sure the set up in house is ok (master socket, microfilter, cable to router)
    there is a test you can do through cmd prompt too
    open cmd prompt up and type in netstat then hit enter, this will then bring up a list of all active internet connections. if there is less than ten your fine but if it goes above ten then there is a good chance thats whats slowing your speed down
    obvious things like the more pc's connected at one time will result in it going slower too.
    sorry for rambling but i think i gave a decent enough explanation lol
  15. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

I'm unsure, will find out. It's a pretty good service apart from all this capping stuff.

Nass - TBH I think it's just a 2mb package.
  16. WorldonFire

WorldonFire No Pressure

cheeky as fuck capping the line when people have got unlimited - on hold now getting the cap off (just upgraded)
  17. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

Ours is about £20 a month for some sky channels, evening calls and we are on a 2mb line. Is that enough info? Which package is this zegermans.
  18. adam.

adam. kthxbi

When I worked on broadband, 9 times out of 10 the customers SNR Margin was far too high for the length of the customers line. I'm sure on sky you can change your line attenuation yourself. For an average line to exchange length of 3miles you should be looking at a margin of about 9-11db
  19. LeeTheMackem

LeeTheMackem Lets Cacky Tash Him

How would you go about changing this?
  20. ZeGermens

yeah the internet you get is free, and max 2mb, if you pay a fiva more you can upgrade to 10meg depending on wether your line could cope with it? so 10meg download and 10gig usage, next package up from that is up to 20meg and unlimited download usage.
  21. ZeGermens

eh i forgot you did broadband?