Ableton.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Chandler, Jun 26, 2008.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

fair comments.

im not saying its difficult to do, but if its such an easy skill to dismiss, why isn't it done during the performance?
  2. Ferox

Ferox Shamanic Tea

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4128774194402953175"]Notes On Breakcore[/ame]
  3. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

4. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

d&b - yes.

Breakcore - i'll give it a miss thanks
  5. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell check me a dollar brer?

good music knowledge + understanding of energy of tracks = good dj
  6. Ferox

Ferox Shamanic Tea

Each to their own, it is my favourite genre of electronic music to see live because of the energy and vibe :up:

To quote Jason Forrest - "I have a computer, I have some breakbeats. I can speed them up a bit, and make music out of them...... the idea that you have in punk rock music"
  7. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

hence i didn't use the stock 'nucastle board' comment of " DEAR GOD LOL WTF LOL DAT IS SH1T U FKIN CHRV MNKEY MUSIC " , instead i expressed my opinion that it's too much for me and doesn't interest me :D :lol:
  8. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

and you expected me to watch 30 minutes of footage and try and get to that myself? :lol:
  9. Ferox

Ferox Shamanic Tea

I'm just being a pretentious cunt :wink:
  10. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

thats so rare around here :lol: :D
  11. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

its seems to me that you've learned how to do something, and then passed it off because you found it easy. difficulty level does not stop it from still being a skill, or part of one. by passing something does not count as doing it - and like i said, if its so easy, why not do it live?

as for wishing i was dead; ive been using abes since 5 and im running a completely digital rig, 2x1k's + sl57, you ignorant cunt.
  12. Phil Mitchell

From some of the djs ive seen and mixes ive downloaded, it seems that any monkey can download the top 10 off beatport and now call themselves a dj just like anyone can setup a digital download record label and call themselves a "record label head honcho".

Oh yeah, anyone can download a copy of ableton , emulate the "in-sound" and call themselves a record producer.

Tell you what, this music lark isnt all that hard to crack after all!
  13. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

DJs nowadays are like shite tunes on your favourite legit MP3 download site - there's no quality control anymore and you have to listen to mountains of guff before you find something decent

which is why vinyl used to make it more exclusive - certain DJs would only have certain sounds.

but those days are gone so while MP3's are doing it damage, tools that allow people to change to add stuff to tunes, making it their own OR making a 1 off live performace can only bring back the exclusiveness to a live club
  14. CiaranH

CiaranH

Hear Hear
  15. Phil Mitchell

or people could just put a bit of effort into it and explore the 20+ years of dance music thats available.
  16. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Funnily - 95% of all dj's i saw at glade were using ableton. It seems to be the 'in' thing to use for mixing psy trance.

I might have been overly wrecked - but i barely saw anyone 'dj' with the thing either ....... it almost seemed like every track was laid out and arranged - and all the dj's were doing was a bit of mixer action....

Perhaps its suited to more 'difficult' genres to mix.
  17. Ferox

Ferox Shamanic Tea

Psytrance has never been vinyl based really. Back when it was kicking off in Goa in the early 90's, the DJ's used Digital Audio Tape's instead as the Goan heat, humidity and sand did not agree with the vinyl and the turntables. A few of the 'old school' DJ's still use DAT, eg Goa Gil.
  18. Ferox

Ferox Shamanic Tea

True, but I would imagine it was a lot easier to back up DAT in the earlier 90's than a warped vinyl.

Added to this the fact that many of the hippie DJ's from the 60's working in the genre from the beginning weren't bothered about beat matching (hence the long atmospheric portions in each track), and I can see why DAT was popular.