Ableton.

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Chandler, Jun 26, 2008.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. CiaranH

CiaranH

I dont understand why its naff? Obviously the beatmatching skill is taken away but what else? Looping 4 tracks will obvously sound shit but looping 4 parts of different tracks (usually stripped down tracks) can sound ace and totally changes each track into something new and innovating..

I know some can be really lazy and use it as a simple mixing tool with effects, but its just boring!
  2. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

if you're doing that much to a track, it has more similarity's to producing than djing - taking samples from different sources and putting them together

back to my problem of seeing ableton as a production tool, not something to 'dj' from
  3. CiaranH

CiaranH

So is it 'Live' if you are 'remixing' tracks that arent yours?
  4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey time for tea

hugging trees , if you dont like it , fuck off , i
    the man from eastenders speaks the truth.

if i ever spyed an oldskool dj using anything but records id be dissapointed.
  5. Earl Grey

Earl Grey time for tea

the term 'live' is another piss boiler .
  6. Earl Grey

Earl Grey time for tea

i was so high i could see for miles around - danced near this old biddie far left . was good just my type of music but a let down in a way, im glad you seen my point .

square pusher was shit , but massonix before marc broom was slow start but picked up,playing live , im glad i seen him as i learnt a new trick for my tr909 whilest doing live work.

thread highjack ovewith:)
  7. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

i cant actually seem to make ableton work perfectly everytime. its really irratating, its the most annoying program i've ever used. pathetic, pathetic, pathetic.

even though i've been doing this moving to the first beat and blah blah blah - it always seems to be JUST SLIGHTLY off beat - and i cant seem to figure out if theres a pitch bend specifically for each track - its really getting on my tit end. and moving things about only changed the speed of the track abruptly and i'm like "ARE YOU FOR FUCKING REAL LIKE!?"

it's pretty much the only PC app that's stressed me out to this level.

short rant over, and back to my easy to use and sensible Traktor :)
  8. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

scratch that, in a matter of minutes i've just figured it out.

i still think annoying though.

:monkey:
  9. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

what was the problem? how did you solve it?
  10. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Loads of DJ's seem to be flocking to traktor anyways.

Carl cox, j00f, funk d'void, hawtin etc etc
  11. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

its a sensible, easy to use, straightforward and light program to use. its bliddy class.

theres a larger margin for error with it in terms of beatmatching etc, but if you know what your doing theres like a 0.3% chance of anything going wrong
  12. CiaranH

CiaranH

Perhaps the decoding cache overloaded? There is a cache within the Ableton program files that stores the tracks played as WAV files. This can start your computer to slow down and the percentage of computer usage to go up dramatically, hence Live cutting out. Ive never had it cut out completely dead though, only when I illegally downloaded version 7!
  13. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

i dont really see it as lazy - i see it more of a faff on than anything else. i'm still trying to learn how to use it, but yet i cant really figure out why its better than anything else.
  14. Ferox

Ferox Shamanic Tea

With the advent of Ableton et al, the whole art of DJ-ing/performing has been liberated. Now you can in theory go traveling throughout the world, laptop in tow, DJ just about anywhere, and share music with people you meet on your travels. Not really possible with a bag of vinyl or CD's.
  15. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

im sorry, but i have to draw the line at putting 'art of djing' and 'ableton' in the same sentence. have a word please :up:
  16. CiaranH

CiaranH

If you are serious about using your computer for performance/production then its best to get the best possible soundcard money can buy (edit: ie the most you can afford!). I bought the USB version of the M-Audio Audiophile and it was pretty crap..

Motu soundcards are highly recommended like but they are fair expensive..

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/10064
  17. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

:up:

Windows 7 is being rushed out a year early due to the shite reception Vista has had.
  18. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

does it mean you can play a guitar and the drums now as well, seeing as you can do that in ableton too? trumpet? trombone, violin? after all, its only by passing some of the skills, skills that can be taught to anyone with hands, ears & a semi-working brain
  19. Ferox

Ferox Shamanic Tea

I'll pass thank you, seeing as the laptop hotshot 'electronic music' I choose to go see does not see technicalities as beatmatching as important, hence the liberated tag in my last post.
  20. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

Some people are guitarists, some people are musicians - i can see a difference there.

i always see a DJ as what they play being the most important thing, how they structure it and the atmosphere they create - however i still like to see that bit of 'performance' too