£1 per mile on motorways

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M.C.E, Jun 5, 2005.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. bigsteve

bigsteve Armin 4 IO

Very clever:D I guess I'd best get a better handbrake fitted for those U-Turns:D :wink:
  2. Freddy Flintoff

Freddy Flintoff WE MISS YOU JOHN

Also be website with router planners to show how much certian routes will cost at certain times so you can plan cheapest/fastest routes
  3. bigsteve

bigsteve Armin 4 IO

I guess we've had easy motoring for too long in this country. (Not that I've changed my opinion though!)

I suppose you would be able to put a route into the in-car thing and it would give you an approx journey cost. Could this also predict traffic flows and take you round accidents/roadworks/etc?
  4. Freddy Flintoff

as it will be 10 years time i see no reason why that technology will cost only pennies so would be implemented..
  5. scruf

scruf Registered User

i think a lot of you are way out on this... the idea that is going to save you money is neither here nor there - the idea is, that those who use the roads more, contribute to their maintainence, contribute more to ameliorate socially and environmentally harmful conditons for those who are disadvantaged by car use and also to reinvest in public transport to bring us into line not only with the rest of europe which we lag behind severely but also to enable us to cope in the future and imporve the economy.

you pay for what you use - hardly a tasking concept.
  6. Freddy Flintoff

again spot on....
  7. dodgy

dodgy rowr kitty super meow cat

1. You can be tracked using them, but you aren't

2. Bit pointless tracking a phone if you don't know who owns it...

I agree with bigsteve's point, I didn't even spot that at first - with ID cards and GPS tracking your movements, whatever next? Some scary shit going on...
  8. Freddy Flintoff

And as if they will track 40 million cars to see where everyone is, People have too much big bro paranoia if you ask me
  9. Jobbi

Jobbi Registered User

totally agree, spot on. the only thing i disagree with in the plan is the range of costs they seem to want to impose for different roads. ranging from 2p to 134p seems a bit extreme to me, just because i'm driving on a motorway compared to someone driving on a unknown B road, doesn't mean i should have to pay 67 times the price, after all, we'd both be paying at the same rate (per mile). fair enough alot has to do with sorting out the obvious gridlock that is going to happen in years to come, so there does need to be a difference in cost to detract people from usin a busy motorway. but that price difference seems very excesive imo. maybe something like a 40p to 96p range would still deter enough people from using th motorways to solve the gridlock problem, without penalising people who inevitably have to use motorways??
  10. dodgy

Erm... how do you think that they are going to be able to tax people without tracking where they travel? Get peeps to fill in forms to tell them about it afterwards? :lol:
  11. Freddy Flintoff

yeah but htere not gonan go oh look mr smith has just gone to nottingham lets check what he is up too.... In theory you can get tracked in your car anyway buy camerasa and numberplate detection software so it wont make much difference
  12. Basic Instinct

Basic Instinct Registered User

I recon there will be a toll booth every mile :p
  13. Chris_Spence

Chris_Spence Registered User

stupid idea!
  14. dodgy

You really reckon that if they had GPS fitted into every car on the road, that they wouldn't use it for surveillance purposes?

In theory, you can get tracked by what toilet paper you buy and where. But anyways, number plate detection/cameras don't follow every fucking metre you drive.

It's obvious you support the tax, but no point going to such lengths to defend the methods.
  15. Jobbi

Jobbi Registered User

:lol: fancy backin ursel up with a reason mate? they've gotta do sumat
  16. Freddy Flintoff

I just think people are far too paranoid, who cares if they know where youcar is all the time, not me, i have nothing to hide, if they can use it to track dodgey fuckers thats good and if they can track stolen cars thats even better, i see no draw backs of GPS in my car, i simpl edont car that they know where i am