£1 per mile on motorways

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M.C.E, Jun 5, 2005.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Freddy Flintoff

Freddy Flintoff WE MISS YOU JOHN

At peak time they are 5 mins apart, and dont forget the bus, less cars on the road means busses will be much quicker getting in and out of town, can only see this as a good thing, onlt lazy fuckers who insist on driving everywhere will be hurt
  2. Natalie

Natalie Registered User

I was watchig the news before and it said places like the M25 will be about £1.30 a mile but other roads like country ones will only be about 2p a mile.
  3. Lulu

Lulu Registered User

thats just plain stupid, that cant be happening???

it would cost me and richie £500+ just to travel to glastonbury and back??? I could go to ibiza for 2 weeks for that much money!

Hah ahaha my man has just pulled his boxers up between his bum cheeks like a g-string!

MMMMMMMM SEXY!:lol:
  4. trance_fan

trance_fan Registered User

That assumes however that the charge would be applied all the way to glastonbury - which of course wouldnt be the case.

To an extent, I do think it's a good idea. Living in the North East and travelling to work 5 miles down the A1 isn't going to cause alot of concern for me personally...it's going to be in London where the powers that be have the motorists by the balls.

If it means less car tax and cheaper petrol for me, then i'm all for it!

For once I think ColeTrickle made some good points, but I agree that at peak times public transport is quite overstretched as it is...I agree with Nass that a sudded upsurge in people using the Metro/Buses would cripple the system...so there needs to be proper planning in place before they go forcing people to use the peasant wagon.
  5. Ruth

Ruth Registered User

:laugh: :laugh: :king:
  6. Freddy Flintoff

People seem to forget that petrol is taxed to about 80% at the min so it woul debcome the same price as the states, Aslo this will not happen for 10 to 15 years so plenty time to get public transport ready, If we do not implement this we will have gridlock by 2020/2030.

And people seem to think this will eb a fixed £1 per mile a lot of thime you will be paying pennies per mile so a trip to glatonbury would prob work out cheaper due to low fuel costs and off peak travelling on country roads
  7. ussrpatriot

ussrpatriot Registered User

That charge was only proposed as an upper bound for the most expensive and busy roads at peak times, eg. the Central Motorway at 5 pm, 2 miles, might cost you 2 pound.

IT would be a replacement for petrol tax and road tax too.

Much as I love my car, there are real, substantial social and economic motives behind this that I support.

I hear a new 50 percent supertax proposed too - finally, something worthwhile from the Blair government, thumbs up from me.

Harry
  8. Freddy Flintoff

Its class he is going after the top end and making taxing fairer sorting out thathers system of taxing peopel the same regardless of income and social status, This is gonan be a Good term for Labour i feel
  9. Shef*Sean

Shef*Sean Registered User

When I was on my placement I used to do over 500 miles a week, theres no way I could afford to pay a toll on motorways.

Also you need to think about the extra costs to businesses which are likely to be passed onto consumers in higher prices
  10. r3m1

r3m1 Registered User

What's going happen to lorry drivers road tax? Or does this just apply to cars? If that doesnt get abolished there going to have a field day.
  11. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

is the technology up to it? how many people are going to dispute the charges? 'i've never driven that far" etc etc etc... i can see the paper work mountain of burerocracy(sp?) now! people will contest the charges, going to court, clogging up the CPS, etc, etc...

crazy

EDIT : fit EVERY car with GPS? what about drivers from abroad? classic cars?
  12. r3m1

r3m1 Registered User

at the drivers cost obviously :(
  13. Freddy Flintoff

Yes but fuel prices will dramatically reduce for these companies and they will prob be a discount on work realted trips like there is a fuel scale charge at the momnet that company get discout on VAT on fuel, dont think they will suddenly be hit, the govenment or not that stupid
  14. Freddy Flintoff

Lorries are already getting GPS that has been in place for a few years
  15. bigsteve

bigsteve Armin 4 IO

If country roads are comparatively cheaper, then people will spend more time travelling on these to avoid high charges on motorways. Therefore, why did we build motorways and bypasses?
  16. Freddy Flintoff

It depends how fast you wanna get somewhere travelling at 30mph on a back rod will take longer than 70Mph on adirect motoway, Anyway Motoways will also be chape Off peak its all about getting congestion down at peak times people dont seem to realise there will be TOTAL gridlock in 20 years time, we can not sustain this amoutn of traffic any longer
  17. dodgy

dodgy rowr kitty super meow cat

The way it has been suggested is a laugh, that the extra money will be used for 'social justice' - like fuck, it's gonna get used to fill that gaping hole that's being created by this government by pissing away our tax money to private companies for anything they can.

And if you tax the rich, they'll just pay themselves more (don't wanna be without that gold-plated toilet seat for the second home do they), hence costs for everything go up, and average shits like us pay more, and have less money.

Tbf, taxes for anyone wouldn't have to go up at all if the government got the strap-on's out of their arses and stopped corporate tax-evasion.
  18. bigsteve

bigsteve Armin 4 IO

Watch the charges for delivery orders rocket (Like record shops). And taxis. It will be any excuse to push prices up.

Motorists are already over-taxed, and only a propotion of what we get taxed goes into the transport infrastructure. Where will all this 'extra' money go? Back into transport - I doubt it.

In Leeds they've been talking about a tram system for 15 years now. It keeps getting delayed because of rising costs. We need better pubic transport before massive charges come in, so that we all have a viable alternative.
  19. Freddy Flintoff

Taxis and compnaies who need transport to survive will not be taxed at the same rate as these are vital services, this is a case of people jumping to conclusionon an idea before fully reasearching it... PLEASE READ ABOU THE PLANS BEFORE JUM<PING TO CONCLUSIONS, its a great plan, very well thought out
  20. SoapieTW

SoapieTW Registered User

its just been on the radio that a trial period is going to happen in 5 years time where each road will have a different cost depending on how busy it is, M62 being £1.50. Its stupid as in all fairness if I was to go home and back it'd prob average at about £500 if not more...its not like a tank of petrol would cost this much.whoever said they'ed prefer to pay by how far they travel obviously doesn't go beyond their front door!!!!