Shine In Middlesbrough This Friday 19th May

Discussion in 'Going Out' started by djburg, May 14, 2006.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. djburg

djburg

Shine In Middlesbrough This Friday 19th May

Shine @ The Basement, Friday 19th May
    Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who turned up for ChitChat. It was probably one of the best nights I've ever put on!

The next one will be in July. Full details will follow but for now feast your eyes on this!:

SHINE
    @ The Basement
    Albert Road, Middlesbrough (opposite the Town hall)

FRIDAY 19TH MAY 2006
    9pm - 3am

DOUG-E
    BURG
    MARK TATE
    CHRIS & MATT KIDD
    STE JONES

plus one more DJ to be announced.

Admission only £3 all night long!! (No admissions after 1am)
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Tatey

Tatey

Cheers my old fruit! :wink:

Is anyone making the trip from Manchester?
    Should be a good night I think.

Can either you or DougE give me a call please? I need to speak about OMG.

Cheers
    :D
  4. Gav Freaky Dancing

Gav Freaky Dancing Registered User

Re: Shine In Middlesbrough This Friday 19th May

not being funny like, but is it not a bit out of order using the name Shine for a club night when that's the name of one of the biggest and longest running club nights in the UK?

good luck and all that, but a quick flick through mixmag to check the names not already taken before launching into your promo might save a lot of confusion in the long term eh:rolleyes:
  5. burg

burg

Hiya mate!
    This is Mark Tates Night i've just copied and pasted the thread from another board!

I understand where your coming from though!
  6. Tatey

Tatey

Re: Re: Shine In Middlesbrough This Friday 19th May

Never heard of it mate.
    Must be huge.
  7. Katie

Katie Registered User

Yeah, is it not in Belfast? Or am I thinking of something different? Little bit of a dodgy idea guys! :lol:
  8. chris l

chris l Jack!

aye - www.shine.net - probably the biggest club in NI

You coming down on friday Katie? :)
  9. Katie

Katie Registered User

Yeah I thought it was they have some immense line-ups!

Coming where :) ? Is hooked on?
  10. Jon Mack

Jon Mack Registered User

shine is one of the biggest and best clubs in the UK

Belfast to be exact......
  11. Gav Freaky Dancing

Re: Re: Re: Shine In Middlesbrough This Friday 19th May

as stated by the rest of the posters on this thread it's one the biggest and best known clubs in Northern Ireland, has been running for years, Phil Kieran (who we book fairly regularly) is resident, last guest on was Felix Da Housecat... next up mistress barbara and adam beyer... it ain't exactly small or low profile.

If you can't see why this might be a problem, then think about a few months / years down the line if it all works out, and your residents are getting booked to play other nights elsewhere in the country and putting the name Shine after their name... now are most people outside of boro going to think they mean shine in boro, or Shine in Belfast? Shine Belfast find out there's people out there appearing to pass themselves off as Shine residents that they've never heard of, look into it further find out about you etc.

You may also think that nobody in the north east has heard of shine as it's in belfast, but this thread should show you different... apart from anything else we've had Phil Kieran on twice with Shine : Belfast after his name on a total of 25,000 flyers and 1000 posters that have gone out all over the north east.

Whatever way you look at it it's got the potential to cause confusion at best, at worst you could be getting a cease and desist letter 18 months down the line from Shine Belfast if they've trademarked the name (and even if they haven't currently they have prior claim to it should you want to trademark it at a later date).

Basically at best it's bad etiquette to use names that are already in use, at worst it's breach of trademark that could wind up with you in court. It probably isn't too much of an issue right now, but if your looking at this longterm it's not a great plan to start off using a name that if you ever got to the verge of making it big you could suddenly find yourselves forced to change names and start again under a new name...

it's your call, I'm just trying to offer you some advice... ignore it if you want, but don't say nobody warned you if at some later stage your decision causes problems.
  12. Tatey

Tatey

:lol: :lol:

Chill out man!

I havent set out to rip anyone off. Its the first I've heard of Shine, Belfast and I've been running mine since last year.

I never do flyers for this night as its purely a small night for up and coming DJ's to showcase their talents, ie: SHINE!

I've taken your points on board but I have as much right to the name as they do regardless to how big their night is.
  13. Gav Freaky Dancing

tis cool, never thought you'd done it deliberately, just trying to point out that you might want to have a think now that it's been pointed out.

well technically you don't, it ain't about how big they are, it's about who was using it first, and that wasn't you... I doubt it's going to be a problem if as you say it's just a little night to showcase new talent, I was just trying to point out the potential pitfalls ahead should the night become more successful and / or DJ's started getting gigs elsewhere and putting Shine after their names.

like I said it's upto you, but IMO it's not a good idea using the same name as a well established night for the reasons outlined above.
  14. andygordon

andygordon

is the doncaster freaky dancing still going gav?
  15. Gav Freaky Dancing

dunno, but last i looked it was a midweek indie night so i couldn't be arsed to do owt about it... for the record if theres a night in donny still called freaky dancing it's nowt to do with the newcastle version... and we had the name first:rolleyes: