Whats up with the news

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by theridler, Aug 22, 2006.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. theridler

theridler Registered User

Whats up with the news

Was just wondering what makes "news" so interesting?

I hate bad news. :mad:
    Why cant we have more good news? :)

The media industry is massive and consumes a large % of our time by reading papers watching on tv or surfing ect.
    - Do you think this can this be manipulated into teaching people life skills, family planning, intergration of society ie different races, religion, sex ect to pro activly build a better society?

Could wars be fought and won online at some point in the future?

I think there is so much talking but no one taking the right steps to prevent war.

Whats with people being beheaded on tv - there only crime -being a good person?

I feel sad for everyday asian people (that dont have a chip on there shoulder) that have to take grief because of a few extremists trying to show who's boss and playing the pied piper as all the kids get brainwashed and.....
    I can't imagine how it feels to be asian and get on a plain. :(

I think Governments need to see the bigger picture and realise that people want a ruler of a country rather than having policies and election campaigns with false hopes.

Its no wonder Jimmy hates asylum seekers ect. when our laws are so fu**ed up people are 'to be fair' milking our society.
    eg. (I like the polish before anyome starts) Polish people can come and work here and as long as they do they could put their children into foster homes in Poland and claim child benefit overhere?

Our Social services is taking care packages away from the community but if you make the right noises ie if you complain to the right places (EU law) youll get everything you want.

Sorry for being random but this thread is meant to make you think and about the most discussed topic on nucastle.

Lets see if we can take on board everyones opinions without anyone getting slated?

Come on then, lets hear it?
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Smog

Smog Registered User

Re: Whats up with the news

not having a go but you have mixed up asylum seekers with immigrants.

polish workers are immigrants and come here legally (poland is in the EU) whereas asylum seekers come here to escape hardship in their own countries.

besides most poles who arrive here are vastly overqualified for the jobs they end up doing but earn more money here in a menial job than for skilled jobs in poland... the jobs they work are also ones that people here dont want to work. they bring much more money into our economy than they take out. plus laws state that they cannot come here to claim benefits, so if they cant find work then they have to go home.

jimi doesnt like asylum seekers because he has a racist NF supporting dad and is too gullible to see the facts that immigrants and asylum seekers bring more money to the economy than they take out... removing them would cripple the nhs and education system as well as taking valuable expertise away from engineering etc.

also its not easy, safe or cheap for an asylum seeker to travel through many countries or stow away on a sea tanker for months to get to a country like ours... many die en route and most cant afford to do it and the ones who can tend to be people with the means to do it, not your average stupid/lazy/criminal foreigner ;)
  4. forks

forks still not dead

surely what people want is not to be 'ruled' by some 'leader'but to have election campaigns with policies that are not junked as soon as they get in.
    A democracy in fact and not just name.
  5. theridler

theridler Registered User

Re: Re: Whats up with the news

My fault for not being specific and just putting ect after asylum seekers, but I meant people coming into the country in general. :)
    Some very good points in the rest of your post btw.

Ruled does sound extreme :lol:

nice.
  6. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

I've never understood this, we live in a society where we concern ourselves with issues we'll never have any impact on... What goes on in Sudan doesn't effect me - yet I still feel the desire to not only keep abreast of the conflict but work out how their troubles could be solved.... Us westerners are all a bit walter mitty.

It already is - societies extract their values from the media.... Its the old question does the media reflect society or society reflect the media... personally I think its a combination of both... Western society is massively influenced by its media.

No.

Word, I was at the airport the otherday and there was a muslim family who were attracting some of the evilest stares I'd ever seen.
  7. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

Re: Re: Whats up with the news

I broadly accept that, but I think we have a limited degree of ability to express our opinions on the actions of our governments - popular outcry can be sufficient to cause increases in foreign aid etc. We concerned ourselves with the tsunami, many of us gave our money, and who knows, some of it may have made a difference. Whether or not it is sufficient to prevent wars is obviously now doubtful...

Whatever, an informed democratic populace is a (generally) positive part of influencing and restricting the actions of a government.

We are. I think the UK is fortunate to have the BBC as a source of news - my impressions are that it is more impartial, and more reliable, than many commerically funded western news agencies.

I´ll be interested to see how maintream Islam interacts with Westerners in the future.

Definitely a positive point that the tip off about the plane bombings came from the Islamic community, I would have welcomed more publicity about this fact :up:
  8. Smog

Smog Registered User

Re: Re: Re: Whats up with the news

I've heard the BBC being called antizionist for a while now (and i dont mean from joe on here), i cant really comment on it but it has been mentioned about the BBC broadcasting in english, arabic and most languages in the middle east except of course for hebrew and kurdish which are zionist languages.
  9. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

Re: Re: Re: Whats up with the news

Bollocks, our news is as biased as any other news outlet - we're just blinded by national arrogance.

In America viewers witnessed scenes like this on a regular basis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9juGmjFlUNw

I watched the conflict religiously on tv and never witnessed one such attack - but was bombarded by the tragedies Lebanon suffered.

Western news outlets tend to reflect the opinion of their society... As we have a strong left wing in the UK this is reopresented in the media.