Traktor PRO - Wont hold anything in time!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by BRID, Feb 11, 2010.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Traktor PRO - Wont hold anything in time!

I just got traktor pro a few days ago, to use with my Traktor Kontrol X1.

Im using it with a macbook with 2gb ram and 2.0ghz core 2 duo on MAC OSX snow leopard, and a Native Instruments Audio Kontrol X1.

.... it wont hold ANYTHING in time! I have a 1.6ghz atom based netbook i used with traktor 3.4 and my old denon controller (midi) and it worked PERFECTLY without beatgridding any tunes.

But Traktor Pro seems to be another story altogether. I was playing around with it just then and from tunes with no beatgridding set on them, it seemed like its completely unable to hold 2 tunes in time for more than a couple of seconds, and listening to it play one tune by itself seems to be varying in tempo very very slightly which would explain the drift.

My soundcard used to be set on 192khz sampling rate, which i then kicked down to 41khz which has made no difference. I'm even getting stuttering every now and again!

... i have ANOTHER laptop (Sorry, im in IT so have loads) which has 4gb ram and a 2.2ghz core 2 duo and Windows 7 on it - surely im not going to have to use THAT just to be able to run DJ'ing software on it.

I'm amazed that traktor pro could take something that was getting pretty much flawless and suddenly become hard to just pick up and play with, and need a big system to run smoothly.
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Chewy

Chewy I'd fist it

stop being lazy and do some beatgridding. its not exactly hard

have you got all of the latest updates installed?
  4. BRID

I knew one of the answers would be about beatgridding the tunes.

Its canny stupid how a new version of some software becomes unusable without resorting to what was previously an advanced feature .... fair enough i could expect some slightly wonky playback every now and again, but to be unusable without going through every track and setting a grid? Bit shit eh.
  5. Chewy

Chewy I'd fist it

Like is said have you installed all of the updates?

and do you not check the beatgrid all of your tunes anyway to may sure they are 100% perfect?
  6. fizz

fizz Registered User

Traktor Pro is actually a big improvement for synching tracks to Traktor 3.4, as it includes quantisation - something which Traktor 3.4 didn't have and requires beatgridding. The other feature that requires beatgridding is the lfo and beat sync'd FX. Without beatgrids your FX won't sync to your beats either (such as the gate effect).

At the end of the day if you're using the sync feature you NEED to beatgrid to get the best out of Traktor such as jamming with cue points etc, otherwise if you're complaining about gridding then stop and beatmatch with your ears ;)
  7. BRID

Yeah, it seems like we've had to take a few steps back in order to take a few forward.

The quant stuff is absolutely amazing like, with hot cue beat juggling and the like. Its just a shame you cant download tunes and just play em tho.

More annoying is that my brand new soundcard has driver issues on both
    a) OSX Snow leopard
    b) Windows 7 64bit

... looks like im fucked unless i downgrade something. NOT what i was expecting to do. What a jib.
  8. Chewy

Chewy I'd fist it

i've been having driver issues with my xone 4d and windows 7 64 bit for ages.

i'm still waiting for allen & heath to release a 64 bit driver compatable with 32 bit programmes such as traktor pro. Its a joke that they still haven't released one.
  9. BRID

In the end i had to repartition my hard drive so i could install windows 7 32 bit onto that and boot into that for traktor pro. Looks like the Audio Kontrol 1 doesnt have any decent mac or pc drivers for 64 bit operating systems.

Bingo, the software now works properly - a few tracks could benefit from being beatgridded before hand but it doesnt seem as necessary now. Looks like the crappy drivers i was using before were causing tunes to speed up and slow down which explains why nothing would stay in time.
  10. always

always Registered User

Snow leopard is meant to have all sorts of issues still across the board - you thought about downgrading to just 10.5?
  11. BRID

Aye looks like it Always, Snow leopard looks great and all that - but if it doesnt work with my pricey soundcard then it pretty much does away with the entire reason for me holding onto that laptop in the first place.

Pains me to do that like, moreso than with windows 7 since i actually PAID for a pukka copy of snow leopard!