Thoughts on!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Productions' started by gazwalgate, Sep 16, 2008.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. gazwalgate

gazwalgate Airborne

Thoughts on!!!!!!

Whats your Thoughts on people who get music made for them by producers/engineers?

1)Is it lazzy ( & unwilling to learn them self )

2 )Is it good for noobs to watch and learn from the people who know how?

3)Or is it a fast easy way to get good music out there !!!

Me personally would rather learn myself & enjoy the learning process, i have often thought about this & can't think why any one would want to have music made by some other producer then turn round and say it theres & have there name to it? are you not just kiddin/cheatin your self?

I know people will have a few opinions on this so fire away..
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

if you have an idea you think will work as a song but dont know how to play all the instruments yourself, you hire someone in to do that bit - a session drummer or guitarist for example

a band leader cant play all the instruments at once, so they hire extra people in, backing vocals, bass, horn section...

if you cant work a computer - which is essentially where all the instruments are kept, why is it wrong to hire someone to operate them for you?

its not un-common for a producer to hire an engineer to take control of the desk while they listen to the track from a backseat point of view - it gives a different perspective on how things sound, than if you're operating the desk yourself

one of the most off putting things about production for me is not being able to talk to someone else during the process. music is full of energy, so when you make it slouched over a desk clicking away, you dont put any in, but expect it to come back out.

i find even if the other person doesn't fully understand, i can work a lot faster than if I'm just sitting there alone. if i had the spare cash, i would definitely spend it using a studio, if anything, just to get that human element involved again (and obviously to learn some shit!)
  4. gazwalgate

gazwalgate Airborne

some good points there!

but starting out producein i think you should have a go your self , when you can produce realy good tracks , dunt matter if you get some one to do it for you .. at least your not sat in the studio like a plum not knowing why hes turning that nob or what it dose ??
  5. graham

graham Registered User

I dont see any issue with this really, and know a LOT of top producers who dont actually make their own tracks and use producers to work under their guidance.

In my opinion having the talent to build good music and being technically good enough to make music are often 2 different things.

I have spent decent money over the past year or so spending studio time with a few different producers to get an idea of what they are about and how they work to benefit my own learning.

You will find some producers who are unbelieveable technically, and can do anything that they want with their favourite software or hardware though when making tracks cant seem to get it right with genre/sound etc, and put out music that is distinctively average despite being well produced.

Then on the other hand there will be producers with an incredible ear for music and with a very specific idea of a track they want to put together, though who cant use production software to put the idea into practice. They hire an engineer, make the track and bingo, they have a wicked track ready for release.

When you say Gaz to have a track made by someone else and put your name to it i totally agree that it is wrong to release a track made by someone else under your name. The person that makes the track however is the one with the idea and vision of how the track will sound, not necessarily the person pushing the buttons.

For the record i dont use engineers and the track im hoping to get up in the next few days is totally my own work, though i dont see any issue with people doing this unless the engineer is also the one with the ideas and the 'producer' is just in it for the credit :)
  6. MAXIMAL:

MAXIMAL: Registered User

I personally don't think theirs anything wrong with hiring an engineer to work on a track which is made up of your own ideas, I wouldn't consider it as cheating myself it would just be a quick way to get my own vision out there knowing it would be produced with quality.

I think this is pretty common now and it's a stepping stone in learning to produce yourself from a professional, I know people who have done the whole uni thing and thought it was bollocks but have paid to have an enginner work on tracks for them and learned a lot more and found the time spent much more valuable.
  7. Paul_Shepherd85

Paul_Shepherd85 .

have to say interesting question gaz :) tbh ive never really thought much about it tho. iv never been to college for music production and never worked with anyone, i just always seem to mess around until i know what im doing. it makes it so much better when you come across something new like when you where wondering "how the hell does he do that" for example. it is good to see what people think (just dont ask anyone on this forum for feedback coz you wont get it):lol:

but to answer your question i feel as long as someone has some input on a track regardless of if they know what there doing or not, i cant see the problem with them putting the name on the track along with the other parties. i would advise them not to go around saying they did the whole track that would just be stupid.
  8. Gary Proud

Gary Proud Registered User

HHmm... well I personally dont think theres anything wrong with using an engineer in the right respect, if someone has ideas pouring out of their head & want to put them to some use but struggle to use Logic or Quebase etc... then an engineer is an obvious choice if their serious about music.

If the person is paying an engineer to write a track having no input & gave no ideas or outline of how they want a track to sound then yes id say that was a little wrong but I honestly dont know an engineer who would work with someone like that?

I know top level DJ's that still use engineers, simply because of the fact that creating a sound they have in mind could take them weeks if not months, certain engineers can do this in minutes, it's just taking an idea from someone's head & making it a sound, theres nothing wrong with that in my book.
  9. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

are you trying to tell us something about your lastest remix thats being hammerd at the minute proud? ;) :lol:
  10. linzi

linzi Registered User

yeah no bother

4 days later.................:(
  11. Gary Proud

Eh? where the fucks this been posted?

How long you been producing Linz?
  12. linzi

linzi Registered User

it wasnt i edited your last post as i know you would be in and out of the "production " forums like a fat kid in a sweet shop

it was detailing the convo we had sat afternoon ;)
  13. Gary Proud

I had no number to call you back on Beavis, when you called me saturday afternoon it was from a withheld number, your mobile is fooshed & I dont have your new house number:(
  14. linzi

linzi Registered User

ha ha ha ha gets of her pedestal and now just blames you for having no alternative to whitley bay on a sat night :(

ill email you my house number b ut one will be sorting out a phone when i get rid of this hangover :(
  15. Gary Proud

What I would have done (get pencil & paper) is that once it got past the 5/10 minute mark & reliesed I never called you back would be to......

....wait for it!

...GIVE ME A CALL BACK! :eek: :dunce:
  16. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

17. Gary Proud

Please correct me, but... who the fuck are you again these days?
  18. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

could someone pass me gary's massive dummy please, i think i might need it myself now
  19. Gary Proud

Not at all, you piped up going on like "Mr Moderator 2008" when all that happened was the thread got hijacked slightly? I suppose this is the 1st time something like this has ever happened on here has it?

Get a grip you throbber :up:
  20. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

the point was you could have both solved your communication problems with pm's (email notifications)

name calling is hurtful gary
  21. Gary Proud

And my point was that a thread got Hijacked (as they have a million times in the past) and you decided to poke you sneck in where it's not needed?