The Dark Knight.

Discussion in 'Films & TV' started by ScottofshieldS, Jul 23, 2008.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. ScottofshieldS

ScottofshieldS Paranoid Android

The coastal town that they forgot to pull down.
    The Dark Knight.

Firstly just let it be known that i'm a massive Batman fan, I collect comic books, graphic novels, general merchandise and toys. I even owned a fish called Batman when I was 7. (Seriously)

But I hated Batman Begins. I just didn't like the new super-realist take Nolan employed and it never felt like the Batman I loved from the comic books.

Saying that I enjoyed The Dark Knight a lot more. It's a massive, grandly staged, layered crime drama - that happens to be told within the context of a superhero film.

The cast across the board are fantastic - it's a real ensemble piece. Bale is brilliant, Ledger is awesome, (not sure if it's an Oscar worthy performance as some critics are saying) and the rest of the supporting cast are top drawer.

It's a brilliantly made crime drama, exploring the concepts of revenge, justice, perception of right and wrong, and also the concept that the existence Batman himself is directly responsible for some of the terrible events that unfold in the film.

It's a brilliant film, I'm just not sure if it's a brilliant Batman film (for me personally anyway).

8/10.
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Willa

Willa Registered User

So does this suffer from all the hype its had then? the trailers look canny
  4. MAXIMAL:

MAXIMAL: Registered User

Re: The Dark Knight.

Can't wait to see this!! it'll be the perfect come down solution to global on Monday.

Visually the joker looks amazing but it did seem to me like it was the shock death of Ledger that seemed to be the reason why so many said it was an oscar winning performance as it was his last.
  5. Shawn

Shawn

I agree with Scott it's a 8/10 from me also. It is maybe a tad bit long but only in uncomfortable cinema chairs where you cant smoke etc....
    Legers abaptation of the Joker is quality he portrays him as a pure psychopath and does a good job at it also.
    Enjoyed it all in all.
  6. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

going to the staff showing shortly at Metro - bring it on!!
  7. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

*** NO spoilers - it's ok to read my bit! ***

FOOOOOOOOK ME!

1 word. IMMENSE.

Tension & anticipation builds perfectly at the start, well paced, never lets up, it's long at 2 and a half hours but there's no slow bits. Loads of twists and turns, you never know whats going to happen with a few genuine shocks! 1 of those films when u think ''oh, it's about to finish...... ahhh no, here comes another 30 minutes!"

Bale's a little wooden and he puts on a funny voice when he's in his bat suit, but the bloke who plays harvey dent is really good too - but heath ledger is amazing. the joker character is genuinely scarey and does loads of unexpected stuff and is really violent, could of almost been a 15 cert. Scott's right that you almost forget it's a 'super hero' film as your drawn so much into the drama / chaos going on in the film. but Ledger is so good, his mannerisms, the whole genius boardering on the edge of insanity thing is played out as well as some touching family stuff with commissioner gordon. It's really well written and works great.

i love how it hinted that batman/joker were basically the same, trying to achieve the same thing - bring down the organised crime but for different reasons - 1 to restore order and 1 to create chaos. i wont say any more...

No over use of CGI too which is good, however i think i prefer Michael Keaton/Tim burtons original Bat suit.

Overall, restored my faith in the summer block buster (UP YOURS INDY!)

i suppose i better give it a rating : definate 9.6/10
  8. claire

claire Beautifully Bad

We went and saw it at the IMAX last night. I'm not really a Batman or any superhero (I know...) film fan but I thought it was brilliant. I was kind of wary that it could've been talked up a bit because of Ledgers death but it hasn't at all and his performance as the Joker is top notch. There's some other great performances as well, Michael Caine suits his role perfectly, Bale is pretty good, but the best two were definately Ledger and whoever plays two-face.

Definitely recommended to pretty much anyone.
  9. MissyC

MissyC Missy Flowers.............

seeing this tomoz

Looking forward to seeing this.. Seen the trailer this other day

Oh my god... Ledger and Bale both looking good :love:
  10. Lee

Lee original gowans artwork

saw this tonight, really good film and really well done, like someone said it would be nice to know a bit more about the jokers past but what a part ledger played, every scene with him in was quality, like the jail cell and espeially the hospital scene where hes walking away from it :lol: his manurisms were lass, played the part of a psycho really well. there was plenty for everyone, quality story, good action sequences a good scripting and mint acting. best batman ive seen( not hard to accomplish), altho gonna watch the first one again as i havent seen it in years.

9/10
  11. Oasis

Oasis Peter North-east

It was good but it was on too long for an action film.
    Heath ledger played a good part but I dunno about the oscar. Although it would be nice for him to win it, I don't think the people who decide it will take his death into account.

8/10
  12. Oasis

Oasis Peter North-east

Saying that I don't know who else will be nominated, i cant think of any other actors who have done a better job so far this year.:)
  13. Ferox

Ferox Shamanic Tea

Michael Caine wanking over ledgers brilliant performance saying it was eerily scary and sent shivers down his spine. Yeah, cos he was goofed up on monkey juice
  14. Jimmy

Jimmy Registered User

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  15. adam.

adam. kthxbi

just came back from cineworld....

fuck me that was good, a bit long but i think it kind of lost its way towards the end...what actually happened to the joker then ? they must have been leaving it open for another movie but obviously now thats not going to happen. the action was mint and there was some genuinely funny bits ( the hospital)...ledger was fucking mint too, proper nutcase. and it took me to the end credits to realise that commisioner gordon was gary oldman :lol:

9/10
  16. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

going to this tommora, but i still stand firm that my personal favorite comic book film interpretation is spawn :lol:
  17. Oasis

Oasis Peter North-east

They'll probs get someone else to play him.
  18. adam.

adam. kthxbi

just been informed by my mam of all people that they made this and the sequel in one but they're going to release it in a few years. had ledger not died it would have been out by february.
  19. ScottofshieldS

ScottofshieldS Paranoid Android

The coastal town that they forgot to pull down.
    Nah that's not true mate, there isn't even a script written for the 3rd one yet. The main players (Nolan, Bale etc) are all due to work on other projects.

A 3rd film hasn't officially been greenlit yet, but the cast are all signed to 3 picture deals and since The Dark Knight is literally the biggest opening film of all time it's pretty much inevitable it'll happen.
  20. MAXIMAL:

MAXIMAL: Registered User

Went to see this yest and it didn’t disappoint, lived up to all it’s hype and had me hooked from start to finish. :up:
  21. MissyC

MissyC Missy Flowers.............

Top Movie

Seen this on Friday Night, defo worth the wait

Where do a i began... Heath Ledger ( Joker ) Amazing
    Christian Bale ( Batman) Also looking Amazing
    Micheal Cain ( Afred the Bulter ) haha...

To be fair, a havent seen the first one so i didnt have anything to compare it too, Plenty of high speed action , which was Spot on

Plenty of Close up of Heath and Christian :love: ( GET IN )

Second best movie of the year for me sooo far :D