Started on a new track last weekend..

Discussion in 'Productions' started by graham, Jan 15, 2009.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. graham

graham Registered User

Started on a new track last weekend..

Pleased with how its coming on so far, so thought i would upload a short clip to get some peoples thoughts on it. Only about a minute and a half long though you get an idea for how its sounding.

Any feedback would be good :)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/udxm9p
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. MAXIMAL:

MAXIMAL: Registered User

Re: Started on a new track last weekend..

Sounds spot on this m8, seem to be progressing well, what ideas do you have for the break?
  4. graham

graham Registered User

Re: Re: Started on a new track last weekend..

Thats what im working on at the moment mate, been doing my own head in all night with it trying to decide where to take it.

At the moment ive got a bit more groove in the bassline for the break with some basic percussion, and found a vocal sample that ive added some fx to as well that is in at the moment. Its likely to change again before im done though, just trying to find something im happy with at the moment.
  5. Sweeney

Sweeney Registered User

Sounding decent that Graham, some nice percussion sounds going on there and the basslines cool as :cool2: Will be interesting to see where you go from there

What did you use to make it?
  6. graham

graham Registered User

Cheers for listening mate. Im using logic 8.0, had it for about 8 months now and still feel like im very much still only scratching the surface of what its capable of.

Will post up an updated version of the track once im further on with it :)
  7. Jamie_Bracken

Jamie_Bracken Registered User

Re: Re: Re: Started on a new track last weekend..

when u start getting frustrated with the track you need to get away from a bit graham mate, go and chill eat some food, listen to some of your fav music and what you find influences your music, maybe get a bit wrecked, have a play around on your midi keyboard try making some fx or work on other things, u never kno where they might fit later. maybe give it a day or two or start a new project, then come back to it and ul have loads of input. good luck mate
  8. Jamie_Bracken

i personally think this track could do with some gaps in the bass line, if your goin for the minimal sort tech house sound u shud try a nice sub bass with plenty of room in between beats and try to emphsise on the 1st beat fo the bar changing through out 16 bars with your last 3 beats of a bar. only my personal opinion though, u shud jus make whatever u like the sound of, def have a few breaks though mate as sometimes listening to the same thing over and over can make it sound appealing when its actually not. hope this helps
  9. Jamie_Bracken

i think you should take out the cymbal crash and the shaker you use at the start of each bar, either that or turn the shaker down so it blends with your original percussion loop then it make the hats and shakers morph in and out of each other, def kill the cymbal crash tho u could find a nice fx or subtle vocal sample and side chain it jus to keep the track moving, wud def change the bassline tho, its sounds more like a trance sorto tiesto sound. anyways i think ive said enough, hope this helps mate.
  10. graham

graham Registered User

Cheers for this Jamie, some really detailed feedback here mate and loads to have a think about.

Youre bang on about needing to take a break sometimes, the amount of times ive sat down when my head isnt in it and proceed to undo hours of good work by changing things about just because my head isnt right to be working on it, and then ill sit back down later and realise ive fucked up any good work ive done. absolute tears :cry:

Learned my lesson with it now though definitely done it the hard way after the above happening countless times :( :lol:
  11. Gary Proud

Gary Proud Registered User

Your coming on massively like Lavvers, just seen this now :up:
  12. graham

graham Registered User

Cheers man, nice one :D
  13. Jamie_Bracken

sound mate, gimme a bell sometime and il come show you some stuff you can do on logic if you want,, also u should always save new versions of this track, every 5 minutes jus save as then type a new number on the end e.g house track 001 (save as) house track 002 then u can always go back and reload a nice patch you might have fukd up.
    :D
  14. graham

graham Registered User

Cheers Jamie, i will do when i get some free time mate :)
  15. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

jamie mate i would edit your number out your post - id theft and all kinds of wrong doings on the internets :up:
  16. graham

graham Registered User

Heres another short clip of this track so far for anyone interested - its again only about a minute or so long, and is the end of the breakdown and then comes back in to probably the track at its peak.

Im hoping to get it finished over the next week or so though thought i would stick this up to get peoples thoughts etc.

Any feedback appreciated :)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/51u0iv
  17. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

i like the perc and some of the panning that goes on. i would use a sharper kick drum, it sounds a bit rounded off for my liking - one with more attack would be nicer - try adding a closed hat over the top of it as well to give it more definition, and move the shaker somewhere else to keep that feel going

it needs more of a lift before the kick comes back, like a reverse crash with some delays off the end or a couple of different snares in a short roll to differentiate between the sections

it sounds like the main bass line is running slightly to the right - try and keep the bass centre to make it easier on yourself during mixdown and to avoid phasing - low bass can be left in mono as its not directional, but mid bass can be panned out quite a bit, but do all that on separate channels to get a fuller sound

what style of music are you going for, i'm not familiar with it?

hope that helps :)
  18. graham

graham Registered User

Cheers mate, some decent feedback there.

Regarding the style of music, i play a mix of house and techno so the track will be somewhere between there though i havent really been thinking about the style of the track as such, just trying to make something i like without trying to stick to a certain sort of sound. As i said earlier in the thread though im still very much still learning so know the track is far from the finished article yet.

The main bass is actually centered so its interesting that you say it sounds like its panned to the right - ill need to have a look at that later on. :)
  19. Gary Proud

'what style of music are you going for, i'm not familiar with it? - Genius :lol:

(How can you possibly give advice on changing the track then you plonker?)
  20. Gary Proud

Best thing for you to do mate is get on to people like Nick Adams, Pete or Neil Bainbridge for tips, sounds they use & production techniques, it's so much easier working with like minded people that are into similar stuff you are, you'll end up getting your ideas out so much quicker :up:
  21. Jase

Jase Blue Booked

i said that because i wasnt sure if he was going for minimal or tech house and didnt want to offend him either way?

i dont listen to either so thats why i said i'm not familiar?

all the comments/advise i gave was on production fundamentals and techniques and they have nothing to do with individual genres?

i thought this would be clear to you with you being a 'producer'?

are you a cunt in real life or just on the boards?