Speed Cameras

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nouvelle fille, Jul 26, 2006.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. nouvelle fille

nouvelle fille Registered User

Speed Cameras

If you're like me and drive too fast and complain that speed cameras are just a money-making scheme for the government, read on .......

So I was caught doing 38 in a 30 zone and luckily was offered the chance to go on a speed awareness course instead of getting another 3 points on my licence.

I went in yesterday expecting it to be a boring lecture on how naughty I am. In fact it was actually quite an interesting course.

For exmple .... mobile and fixed cameras are not just set up anywhere the police like
    -there has to be a minimum of 4 KSIs (kill or szerious injury collisions) in a 3 year period for a fixed camera to be set up.
    -mobile units can only visit approved sites ...i.e. either 1) where 2 KSIs have occurred within a 3 year period, or 2) where a number of members of the public have expressed concern. In this second case the police will monitor the area to see whether it really is of concern before it can become an approved site.

Also, something i didn't know .... when driving in a 30 zone, they recommend that in modern cars you only need to be in 3rd gear. This is apparently the gear your engine works most efficiently in.

Anyway, either i've been brainwashed or it was a useful course to provide.

You may now leave this thread tutting and saying what an absolute bore I am :D
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. French William

French William _________________

That is interesting.

I can't stand people complaining about speed cameras. Yeah it's just a money-making scheme, but so fuck? You're breaking the law, so why sholdn't we benefit from fining you? I wouldn't care less if there were cameras on every road.
  4. M.C.E

M.C.E 1981-2013

Can anyone choose that course over points?

I havent been caught at all, but knowing my luck, i will eventually :rolleyes: :lol:
  5. nouvelle fille

I think they are aiming to specifically offer the course to people who have been caught slightly over the limit in 30 zones. I think i must have just sneaked in with a 38 (actually it might have been 36 now i think about it).

I don't think it would be offered to someone doing something daft like 50 or to someone speeding to excess on a motorway etc.

They said that the course was offered to individuals once in a 3 year period.

It's not available in all areas ... there are some forces using it down south, and Northumbria up here.
  6. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

I f***ing hate speed cameras. They arent even used to make the roads a safer place any more.... they are merely ways to extract cash out of drivers. Down south they are beyond a joke with the sheer number of them aswell.

My dad got caught last week after 38 years of driving and never being caught speeding once - Was accelerating to get in the right lane right near the general hospital and was caught doing 38 in a 30 cause of it aswel..

Luckily my Sat Nav has all the UK speed cameras loaded on it so i can quickly brake from 130mph to a safer 70mph if need be ;)

Come the revolution - speed cameras will be the first against the wall.
  7. iamian

iamian Registered User

speed limits are there for a reason, an why shouldn't they get some money back for the amount they have to spend cleaning up after some1 crashing thru speeding or (more likely) driving stupidly...

i've heard the thing about 3 accidents before but there are some near my parents house in random places... like where no1 can even remember there being a single crash :confused:
  8. M.C.E

M.C.E 1981-2013

:lol: :lol:
  9. French William

Shut up and stop breaking the law.
  10. BRID

If the money being generated from cameras was used in relation to the purpose they were put there for ... i'd have less on an issue with them.

However, councils need to find increasingly devious ways of paying for Chavs to sit at home watching trisha, or for their spiralling pension costs .... so they use speed cameras and parking tickets to 'help'

Case in point - only HALF the money for road tax actually is spent on the ROADS ... the over half pays for missiles to fight wars we dont want etc etc.
  11. BRID

OK.
  12. nouvelle fille

Brid I would have completly agreed with you before yesterday, but i have to say that i really was completly ignorant regarding the difference 30 mph compared to 35 mph makes if you do actually hit a pedestrian.

Just remembered something else they said ....

Only 25% of fixed cameras operate at any one time. However, even though the camera isn't set to flash, it still monitors the speed traffic is going past it. If the speed starts to creep up again, the camera is switched back on.

There is actually a website wich shows what area the mobiles will be visiting each day too. Brid does your sat nav show those too ?? Those are the one's i've been caught on.
  13. M.C.E

M.C.E 1981-2013

www.safespeedforlife.co.uk :up:
  14. nouvelle fille

15. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

fixed position ones are fine as they're at accident black spots.

coppers with guns are cunts.

Byker Bypass, sunday AM, i was doing 45 in a 40 coming down to the roundabout at the bottom. how is that place an accident blackspot? it's got 75 feet high walls on either side AND it's a dual carridgeway AND it's 100 feet for the nearest police station. he was sat there at the end of his shift to bump up his stats and make a few quid.

CUNTS
  16. French William

Why does it matter if or how they justify the location of a speed camera? You were breaking the law, and got caught. You're the cunt.

Brid> It sounds like your real complaint it with how the govt/council spend their, not with how it's generated?
  17. Oasis

Oasis Peter North-east

i dont mind them but tbh most of them are useless anyway. they stick one on long stretch of road and everyone knows where it is anyway, so all you do is slow down when you see it. whats the point in that
  18. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

which is why i accepted my fine and points with grace. However, in the large scale of things, how can u justify thats a good use of police time and effort?
  19. French William

Yeah, you can't really. I was thinking more about fixed ones. :dunce:
  20. iamian

iamian Registered User

i'm thinking you'll be driving a bit more cautiously now tho?

atleast around that area...
  21. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

down the byker byspass - yes - so i don't get a ticket :lol: