Remix packs question...

Discussion in 'Productions' started by graham, Apr 25, 2010.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. graham

graham Registered User

Remix packs question...

If you buy a remix pack from the likes of beatport for a remix competition, are the samples included royalty free so you can use them in other productions?

Bought the fatboy slim - weapon of choice remix pack a month or two ago, though never got round to starting the remix before the deadline for the comp. Then when I have gone through the pack theres one that I wouldnt mind using in one of my own tracks, but not sure the legalities around it...

Any advice is appreciated :)
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

Try asking the label or Mr Cook himself. They should be able to give you a straight answer.

Depending on how big of a sample you're wanting to use, they might just be happy with you giving them credit on the track notes....
  4. graham

graham Registered User

Yeah you could be right mate, wasn't sure if there was a general rule for what these types of pack can/cant be used for which is why i thought it was worth asking.

The more i have thought about it though the more i think i wouldnt be able to use it without specified permission from the label, even though i have paid for the pack.

Its a one of the synth samples that i wanted to use, though its fairly distinctive so isnt something that i could have got away with using without looking into the legalities first...

:)
  5. Paul_Shepherd85

Paul_Shepherd85 .

i was gonna download the remix pack a while ago for this and im sure i noticed that it said all parts and remixing right would be owned by the label. so like conway said it maybe in your interest to contact the label if you've done a good job of the parts provided. good luck with it mate :)
  6. Michael

Michael Registered User

just use the parts mate, try and change them a bit so its not too obvious, I wouldnt be too bothered anyway. Most of fatboy slims records are sampled from elsewhere anyhow, cant remember which one it was but im pretty sure one of his biggest tracks was sampled without permission so he lost a lot of royaties.

anyhow. if your thinking of rocking the charts then id get permission before doing it, otherwise i wouldnt worry.
  7. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

They're just standard legalities that they're obliged to mention.

It's dance music, Norman Cook isn't going to sue you for using a sample you bought.
  8. Gary Proud

Gary Proud Registered User

I doubt he'd be that fussed & even if he was, just politely tell him that:

I know you got soul = Sampled Jackson 5.

Rockafella Skank = Directly ripped a Northern Soul track by the Just Brothers called Sliced Tomatoes. Vocals used in Fat Boy's track were from an old rapper called Lord Finesse & parts of the Natural born Chillers track called 'Rock the funky beat'.

Come a long way baby = Ripped vocals from a track called 'Take Yo Praise' by Camille Yarbrough.

Right here right now = Ripped the strings section from a track called 'Ashes the Rain and I' by an old prog-rock band called 'The James Gang'.

...Having said all that mind, I think the guy is a genius, totally love Fat Boy Slim.

As a wise man once said:
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" - Albert Einstein

:wink: