Newcastle top of the 'soviet state' list

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by BRID, Mar 15, 2007.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Newcastle top of the 'soviet state' list

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...ls/One+in+four+is+on+the+state+payroll+in+UK+'Soviet+blocs'/article.do

One in four people in the North East is on the state payroll - comprable to Soviet Russia way back when. (of all workers)

If/when Gordon brown has to make cuts to fund the 40 odd billion quid he's overspent by ... the North East is gonna suffer.

I only wish governments past and present had more of a universal approach to attracting business to the UK, rather than just concentrating everything in the south east and making it more of a nightmare than it already is.

... That way, maybe we wouldnt be (in the NE) so much at the mercy of government spending, and tax payers wouldnt have to bear so much burden financing admittedly badly run (some of them) public 'services'.

The call centre jobs and low skilled labour (in classic definitions) are not what the region needs.
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell check me a dollar brer?

its simple really

north = lower wages
    south = higher wages

less money to spend on wages and more money to spend on *cough 'public services'
  4. BRID

The pay divide needs to be sorted out, and not just 'accepted'.
  5. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

This seems entirely plausible to me. I imagine the NHS is a particularly large employer - it makes sense that public services should go where labour is cheap and outside investment low. It would be good to see more effort going into attracting external investment, from jobs that actully lead to national wealth creation though.
  6. Phil Mitchell

How can this ever happen?
  7. Phil Mitchell

Thanks for repeating what i wrote in grammatical english :wink:
  8. forks

forks still not dead

it's interesting how many people off this board are now working down south.
    If all the talent that came from this region could have stayed here and not had to go how much better/ richer could it be?
    the south has sucked out the profits from the north for decades.
  9. BRID

Im no economist - but how about massive tax breaks for high tech companies who base themselves in certain zones of the UK...... China is doing it with Shenzen just over the border from Hong Kong - the place has went from a swamp, to a massive city in less than 15 years - its quite incredible.

Unfortunately, the NE attracts nothing more than companies wishing to take advantage of the low paid to put in jobs answering customer services telephones .... theres no localised corporate taxation policies, which is why every big firm wants to base themselves in and around london since its where everyone else is.
  10. BRID

Bingo.

The talent goes south (in worrying amounts) since its pointless trying to better yourself, or even make use of your skills, up here.

Unless your in the kind of job that can go anywhere, like accountants and lawyers and the like - theres little incentive for highly skilled people to stay in geordieland.
  11. Phil Mitchell

Dont get me wrong, i love Newcastle but what incentive is there for someone to move from London to the north east if they can get the same job and the same money down here. Hate it or not, London is a city where you can literally do anything you want......

Unfortunately all the north east has to offer is 3 trebles for a 5er :wink:
  12. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

I've come to the (furhter) north for what's on offer in educational and early employment terms, but the only reason I couldn't see myself staying is that I feel like I've done it all now, in a way that you could never feel about london.
  13. confuzzled

confuzzled Registered User

i have made a concious decision to move back to the north east - i want a better life / work balance and that cannot be achieved in london.

plus the north east is my home and i love it.
  14. claire

claire Beautifully Bad

Re: Newcastle top of the 'soviet state' list

I blame Thatcher for the rapid closure of the major employment sectors in the north east area, leaving a huge unemployed workforce, prepared to work for low wages just for the sake of working, hence being exploited ;)
  15. BRID

Re: Re: Newcastle top of the 'soviet state' list

She closed the mines, and tried to (badly) encourage people to upgrade their skills in order to work in a modern world.

.... things like Nissan in Sunderland happened under a tory 'rule' and were touted as the kinds of things that a workforce could transition to doing, instead of digging coal out of the ground that actually cost money, instead of making money.

The low wages is probably due to the fact that the workforce has a high proportion of low skilled people.

exploitation as you call it, is a corporate activity - i cant see how the government is responsible for that.

You sound like another impressionable kid who was brought up listening to their parents blaming the tories for everything ;)
  16. forks

forks still not dead

I remember the tories. They are to blame for PFI, it was them wot invented it. Blair is a tory. all his policies are extensions of Thatchers.
    She didn't encourage people to upgrade their skills she cut the funding for it.
    She closed the mines as a poltical act, to break the power of the unions.
    It sounds like you read the daily mail and believe it. and decent working people is usually code for smug middle classes.
    Lets hear it for the indecent working people
  17. BRID

The unions needed to be broken - the country was a shambles in the late seventies.

Your two comments about pfi and blair being a tory are laughable - labour is responsible for its own fuckups and NOT the tories. Gordon brown went ahead with PFI - it was THEIR choice.

Decent hard working people are people who want to go out and work for a living - i dunno what point your trying to make.
  18. forks

forks still not dead

you're right about labour they followed blair down the PFI road. My point was that the tories were just as culpable, and not the heroes you make out. Thatcher changed the uk fundamentally.New Labour simply copied her. The unions were too powerful and abused their power. All true.
    But the changes Thatcher brought about made the country meaner, more fearful, more selfish and less caring. And the people who gained were the clever and the greedy and the ones who suffered were the weak and the poor.
    And the way this was excused by the winners in this set up was to blame the poor. They are not decent, they don't work hard and they deserve to be poor so it's not our fault it's theirs and they deserve to be treated like shit.
  19. nouvelle fille

nouvelle fille Registered User

Someone mentioned the work/life balance thing.
    I've always held the idea that London was the place to go when you are young, and that people tend to move north when they have a family. I can't be bothered to go looking for figures, but do people think there is any truth in that? Would the people on this board who have moved to London consider moving back up North if they had children ??? Or perhaps abroad ??
  20. BRID

Im glad im outside the M25 now - working and living inside it for just over a year was more than enough for me.

London is great if :

- your young, starry eyed and want to spend a while doing the bars and clubs while your only responsibilities are to yourself and the only things you have on your mind are alcohol and getting inside someones knickers/boxers.

- you dont have kids, or a wife/husband

- you work in the city and make 100k a year, or have a very high earning job

- your visiting it for a daytrip and dont actually live or work there

For anything other than that, i just dont see the appeal - Most people bleat on about all the galleries, shows, restaurants and all that fluff - but for the most part people just DONT do any of it much ... its a big lie. The lifestyle that is presented in the various london magazines is pretty much out of reach for the vast majority of the people there because its just too expensive.

I dont hate the place - far from it, im glad i live only 45 minutes away on the train. But i certaintly dont think its the best thing in the world.

Aye, i'd move away from it all, or abroad if given the chance..... preferably to Hong Kong (rosy tinted spectacles on here).
  21. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

I go to the theatre and galleries! In fact I was at the theatre yesterday afternoon. I also went last week, am going next week, seeing Damien Rice the week after and going to the theatre again the week after that.

To be honest though, the main reason I am here is for work and the salary that goes with it. If there was any relevant work for me in Newcastle, and my gf and I could get the same salaries we are on in London, I would definitely consider going back.