Music Production

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Pump Pimp, Jan 25, 2005.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Pump Pimp

Pump Pimp

Music Production

Any1 out there into trance/techno music production using reason 2.5 and midi keyboards.

Any1 got any drum machine programs that they wouldn't mind distributing or any good kick drum, bass or pad samples

Working on some good tracks at the mo.

All the best trance producers are foreign (dutch). I reckon, just wait till i get more experienced with the software I'll kick ass

Just thought I would test this post like.

See you later
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Earl Grey

Earl Grey time for tea

hugging trees , if you dont like it , fuck off , i
    go to www.dancetech.com go into sample section on forum

there a list sum were in there...but personal,go spend ur beer money on a hardware setup that u wont know how to use for ages but then reliese its the dog bollocks....i did this years ago and i never leave the house;)
  4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey time for tea

hugging trees , if you dont like it , fuck off , i
    didnt mean 4 him to spend his years rent on buttons n shit......software is a great option,cheap,your mates have always got a copy of the newest program,and there tons of sites to help u on ur way.

i have a thing bout hardware,just like records,even if there shit,gotta have more n more...:)
  5. Nick Adams

Nick Adams a very naughty boy

Get your software for free and buy some hardware.

There's certain phat sounds which software cant make so your mixes sound lame as fook if you dont run it through a synth/groove box

Buy a makie UAD1 card aswell if you can to sharpen up the eq and compression and also to free up your computer power.

Access virus is the way forward for dance music:)
  6. Pump Pimp

Pump Pimp

Supersaws

I have already got an audiophile 2496 Card with the installed ASIO Drivers. These help reduce the latency.

Anyway the hardwares great if youve got 1000's to spend. Just got cubase sx, logic platinum, and soundforge.

Access Virus, theyre good, pretty pricey though. If you hook up the maelstrom in reason the right way you can get some supersawtooths that are awesome for trance music. Especially using the reverb unit, delay etc. In reason you can filter the sound so that you get that trancey feel. The main riff starting quietly, a bit bassy, then louder, then louder, then hands in the air.

The problem i am finding, is working out good kick drum, hi hat combinations.

Also quality vocals. I have a mixer hooked up to my computer so that I can record vocals, but on most good dance tracks the vocals are done by females. But im no girl. BYE:angel2:
  7. Pump Pimp

Pump Pimp

Live Music

Also,

Playing live, not many dance producers/musicians play live. I reckon I could do a live set. Maybe not 4 hours, but I have the neccessary equipment. Also what you think about DJ'. Most of them just play other peoples records. They dont produce them.

Its great, create a song, save as a wav, convert to mp3, listne to it in my car. So if I have a really good song, that is belter. I can send it to loads of radio stations coz it costs pennies to produce 50-100 cd's. Then I can make loads of money. If it gets played.

I just need a few other peoples help coz all my friends who have computers are boring and do f*k all.

Also how can you get bored using the software its great.
  8. Pump Pimp

Pump Pimp

Yeah I have Reason 2.5 which has a sampler and its great and I have loads of kicks, snares etc on my compute.

Dont really like sampling vocals as your a really nicking someone elses tune. Hopefully I might meet a girl who is a really good singer.LOL

I have difficulty in creating really good drum tracks. My bass is good. Dark and deep sometimes. using low frequency sine waves. Sine Bass is the best.

i have worked out how to create the build ups in my producing snares, hh, oh, and cymbals. As well as LFO with a fairly low oscillator frequency. When my Cubase SX arrives and I get some VST instruments hooked up to my midi keyboard IT should be really exciting.

Learning all the minor and major keys is helping. As well as all of the modes, transposes etc. Major and Minor Chord progressions for Intro's and arpeggios for manic trance riffs. Thats what makes a trance record really good.

Anyway got to get back to jamming see ya later.:groovy:
  9. r3m1

r3m1 Registered User

If you can't afford the Access Virus check out the Novation KS Rack. Awesome piece of kit and a piece of piss to use as well along with being a lot cheaper than most other hardware synths out there :)

What are the best monitors to get for around £250?
  10. chris l

chris l Jack!

For that money,

soundcraft absolute two's - you can pick them up for about £200.

Or

Alesis Monitor 1's - about £200 I think.

both really good for monitoring - when the yamaha ns10's stopped being made the sound crafts took over as the next industry standard for that price range.

I use Dynaudio BM5's but I think they're about £350-400, but they are really nice speakers - I would highly recommend them if you can stretch to them.

Do you need an amp too?

The best for studio work is one with a flat response, ie. no eq controls - something like the samson servo 170 or the alesis RA150

That'll probly set you back about £100 - £150, and it's worth getting one as commercial hi-fi amps - even separates - colour the sound slightly, so you're not getting the fulll benefit out of having flat response - or as good as - monitor speakers - so it does make sense.

Best thing to do is go down one of the shops in town - either sound control or sounds live - with some of your material and some properly recorded stuff to and see what you like best you may like the sound of one pair better than another.

Rob at sound control is a really nice bloke, and he'll give you the best advice.

Hope that helps a bit
  11. Pump Pimp

Pump Pimp

Hi,

I have harman kamon speakers with a sub woofer but i could do with some new monitors.

Its a good shop soundslive.

It has a good selection of midi keyboards and software.

I have a korg EA1 but its not that good.

:angel3:
  12. Pump Pimp

Pump Pimp

Do you think I should run an amp from my soundcard (audiophile 2496) to my speakers.

Or soundcard, mixer to amp, then to speakers
  13. chris l

chris l Jack!

Stricty speaking you should go straight to amp from souncard. But I wouldn't have thought it would make a great deal of difference
  14. Pump Pimp

Pump Pimp

Do you make dance music.

What sort of system do you use?

Have you got any tracks that I could listen to?
  15. Pump Pimp

Pump Pimp

Been on that URL that you gave disruptive vinyl but I think there server is down as I cant listen to any of the songs.

I will try again later
  16. r3m1

r3m1 Registered User

The theory is that it should be run straight to the amp, but I've found putting it though the mixer make it sound a bit fuller especially if you're using VST's. Helps a lot on bass lines and the like

@ Hairy, was thinking about the alesis and the behringers, but will probably end up going for the alesis :up:
  17. Nick Adams

Nick Adams a very naughty boy

Good call, the Mini Korg is also really good for the price and has been used recently on the prodigy's new track plus its got a vocoder which gives it another edge:)
  18. Pump Pimp

Pump Pimp

You can get some good behringer mixers, quite resonably priced as well.
  19. r3m1

r3m1 Registered User

Unfortunatley theyre also quite reasonably built as well :( :lol:
  20. Pump Pimp

Pump Pimp

Do you produce music?
  21. Pump Pimp

Pump Pimp

What do yo recommend. I have a virtual mixer with reason 2.5.

But I have seen photos of people using reason with big studio mixers.