mcdonalds offer their own a-level...

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by Conway, Jan 28, 2008.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

mcdonalds offer their own a-level...

who could accuse the education establishment of dumbing down after this? ;)

full story here
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Finally the McJob gets its own certification .... bleurgh.

Another step towards a brave NWO type future, not. Looks like serfdom has taken another large step forward in its progress.

If Charles Dickens ever rose from the grave, he'd wonder quite what happened in between the time he wrote 'Oliver' .... and the first decade of the 21st Century.

Hilarious.
  4. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

At first I thought this was ridiculous but calmed down a bit during the day.

Everyone knows that despite what the government says these are not A-levels.

Why not give people in maccys something to work for? We probably should be finding some way to recognise experience, and this just seems to be giving people something to hang their hat on. I'm for it.
  5. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

references?

appraisals?

reviews?

awards?

payrises?

promotion?

The experience I gained in my part time jobs was great, it taught me timekeeping, courtesy, people management, and initiative. In my last part time job before I got a day job, our HMV store got Store of the Year, Manager of the Year, Best for product knowledge, and an 50 grand award for teamwork. I put that all down on my CV and people have a way to judge my success which is backed up by certificates, and references from previous employers.

There are some skills you can teach in a classroom and some you can't, or shouldn't. People need to get out and work to discover how to make themselves successful. I'm all for work based training, but a diploma in how to run a shop? it's just stupid.

In one of my part time skivvy jobs I made it from a sales assistant to a part time member of management in under 10 months just by using my head and a big dose of common sense. You can't learn common sense and initiative by sitting an exam.

This government's insistence on "key skills" is good, but this is a step too far and in the wrong direction :down:
  6. forks

forks still not dead

self satisfied? moi?
  7. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

haha no, but I'm a big believer in getting experience at work :)

here's a question for you:

if you were an employer, and you had two candidates for a job...

one had the qualifications, plus experience of having done the work before, and one had the qualifications plus a qualification that might help them do the job, which would you pick?

It's like the difference between reading about riding a bike and actually doing it, sometimes it's better to get out and have a go :up:
  8. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Now corporations have the responsibility of educating and measuring our youth, rather than the schools for which we pay tax for?

Where does it end eh? And why not pick some better companies like BMW or Aston Martin to be able to dish out certifications, other than evil and morally repreheinsible scummers like Maccy D's.