Man-made global warming.... biggest myth of this century

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by Yosef Ha'Kohain, Mar 19, 2007.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

Man-made global warming.... biggest myth of this century

discuss :D
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

Global temperatures appear to be rising
    Carbon levels are rising
    There's a plausible mechanism for how carbon might cause warming
    The is a very large consensus amongst those who've studied it that it is the most likely way
    The consequences of global warming are potentially catastrophic
    Michael Crichton's 'State of Fear' was rubbish - the arguments against the above are not convincing.

Like all 'theories' it's an untestable hypothesis, so we can't prove it one way or the other.

As with so many other theories (gravity, evolution) it seems to me to be the most plausible explanation that has been proposed, and I am happy to accept that it is not the biggest myth of this or any other century.
  4. Yosef Ha'Kohain

as the temprature rises the carbon levels follow... surely its the temprature thats the trigger and not the reverse.

man made carbon emissions are dwarfed by immissions from the oceans... what happens to the oceans when the temprature rises? ;)

its a load of poppycosh.

(ps. I'm not advocating pollution... just tearing down the illussion ;) )
  5. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

How do we explain the last ice age and associated temperature swings last time around ... cavemen fires polluting the atmosphere? ;)

..... Theres no doubt in my mind about the effects of pollution in the short term, but in all honesty im sceptical about this popularist idea of 'carbon neutral' and all the associated bumpf about CO2.

The whole idea of a carbon cycle is just that, its cyclical - how can the release of carbon thats already in planet (that was formally NOT stored as oil and the like) be a bad thing? It was IN the atmosphere at one point - and likewise, carbon dioxide is what vegetation thrives on ... its just poisonous to air breathers ;) You could say thats the earths way of cyclically correcting itself.

We still have ALOT to learn about this planet (Parts of the Poles getting COLDER for instance, while other parts melt etc et - explain that)

No doubt the lefties will have a field day with this one ;)
  6. Yosef Ha'Kohain

The mroe I've read about it the more I'm in agreement with it.... carbon hysteria is another thatcher legacy.

fucking tories ;)

still think low eco-cars are a good idea though :up:
  7. BRID

I shall not be baited!! :D

..... cameron could care less about the environment - its just pandering to the electorate with his bullshit 'watch me cycle to work' tactics. I still wouldnt vote for any party these days.

Tackling localised pollution should be more of an issue, than spending billions and billions reducing our 'footprint' from 2% to 1% while the biggest abusers (USA/India/China) could not give a stuff...... and for all we know it might not make a difference anyways.
  8. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

i don't know enough about any of it - however, the amount of polution we're putting out as a race, can't be good for the environment, it's obviously ruining the atmosphere.

the world will go on - just life as we know it, won't.
  9. Yosef Ha'Kohain

how?
  10. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

Whether global warming is the fault of man or not, I also believe strongly in conserving natural resources, so will recycle, try to reduce energy consumption, etc etc.

From what I've read, the evidence indicates that either we are causing global warming, or are at least not helping things. However, as we don't know if we are causing it or not, it is better to be safe than sorry. Being more careful is certainly not going to make it worse.
  11. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

how can pumping tons of shite into the atmosphere NOT ruin it? less trees to turn the CO2 in to oxygen - it's hardly going to be doing it any good is it?
  12. BRID

I'd say deforestation is more of an issue than CO2 output, which plants love anyways ..
  13. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

Yup. People aren't thinking of things in a worldwide sense either. For example, we have co-firing power stations that burn palm oil as well as conventional fossil fuels, to gain renewable credits. However, much of the palm oil is grown in Indonesia, for which they cut down natural jungle which in turn leaves less room for wildlife such as orangutangs. :rolleyes:
  14. forks

forks still not dead

I think we all know that our lifestyles, especially if copied in china, india, south america etc are simply unsustainable. It's not just global warming, it's water pollution/depletion, nuclear waste, overfishing, desertification, rain forest destruction........
    I know cows arses pump out more climate change gasses than industry but it seems unlikely that we can continue to shit in our own pants for ever.
    If it is a strong possibility that our actions will fuck the planet, then we should do all we can to stop that happening.
    If it turns out that the scientists are wrong about global warming then at least we won't have fucked things up as quick as we might have, and if they are right then we will save our childrens future. It's a no brainer.
  15. andy_rocks

'Fraid not, but I can see why you might think that.

You're talking about ice studies I think - warmings take 5000 years to complete, yet they show a carbon lag of 800 years behind temperature, leaving 4200 years carbon could partly explain. All this lag suggests is that CO2 is not responsible for the first 800 years or 16% of warming - this warming could have then been partly responsble for the further CO2 release that causes further temperature rise.

CO2 may not be the initiating factor, and I suggest that that might be the natural variation, but it is widely regarded as an exacerbating factor, and our efforts to reduce emissions are thus justified.

Furtherore, as BOB very rightly points out, conservation is a valubale and worthwhile goal as well.
  16. andy_rocks

17. BRID

Now find a graph that plots the last cycle of climate changes against something that people think caused it ;)
  18. andy_rocks

;)

[​IMG]
  19. Swana

Swana Registered User

20. BRID

Just goes to show eh, you can find statistics to back up any point you want to make ;)

There was a time when everyone thought the world was flat eh - and people laughed when someone dared suggest maybe it wasnt .... im really sceptical about issues like these - not saying they dont exist as threats, or that we shouldnt be extremely mindful about them tho ...
  21. claire

claire Beautifully Bad

I wouldn't say it was man-made, moreso man-contributory.

The temperature of earth has fluctuated in the past, but that doesn't mean we can go about all lackadaisical and pollute the way we do. Even if it doesn't cause the amount of damage some sources suggest it isn't healthy at all or beneficial to the planet and nature.

Eutrophication, air pollution, deforestation, mud slides, smog, animal extinction, contaminating the sea, ozone depletion, the list is endless but I'm sure we're in no way responsible for any of those either.