Dr Watson

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by Yosef Ha'Kohain, Oct 18, 2007.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

Dr Watson

Right or wrong?
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

did he have any statistics to back up his statement?
  4. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yes, however the controversy arises in whether the statistics have been corrupted by environment.
  5. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

The question isn't whether it was "scientifically unethical and unjustifiable" but whther it was scientifically incorrect.

I haven't seen the numbers, and I don't know, but Crick and Watson were two of the great scientists of the 20th century, and I would imagine that Watson can spot a bad statistic from a good statisitic.

Either way, I think the science museum have got it wrong, and the universities have got it right:

Going to try and get to this :up:
  6. Yosef Ha'Kohain

do you believe that scientists are beyond the moral clauses that bind the rest of society?
  7. claire

claire Beautifully Bad

I think there's truth in it in the respect that "blacks" have a lower mean/median than "whites" in IQ tests. But defining overall "intelligence" from IQ test, which are culturally biased imo, is risky because intelligence is an incomplete measure and should always be set within a context. Incidentally, Ashkenazi Jews, the Japanese and Chinese tend to score higher on IQ tests than "whites."
  8. andy_rocks

From what I've heard I don't think this is a moral argument.

Either there is a statistical link between african/western 'race' and intelligence (and there is no good way to measure intelligence) or there is not. If there is, then it is not immoral to report it. If there is not a link then he is wrong, his numbers will (definitely) be scrutinised and he will be discredited.

I hope he is wrong, but I can't imagine that he has been stupid enough to do so.
  9. claire

claire Beautifully Bad

Regardless, it's a great bit of publicity for his book, which isn't a textbook of sorts more like his memoirs.
  10. Yosef Ha'Kohain

I'm an ashkenazi jew... what are your thoughts on men with high iq's? :cool2:
  11. Yosef Ha'Kohain

the results which scientists publish have greatt influence on the modern world... if you have a racist spouting that companies should be wary of employing "the darkie" - it's going to have an effect.
  12. claire

claire Beautifully Bad

They can still be incredibly stupid ;)
  13. Yosef Ha'Kohain

it's like someone just ripped my heart out
  14. forks

forks still not dead

I think that free speech is what saves us from totaliatarianism. He should be allowed to say what he thinks to be true and others who think he is wrong can then refute his science with evidence to the contrary.
    Banning him plays into the hands of racists because it lets them off the hook. they can claim that a nobel prize winner says that whites are superior without challenge.
    they were wrong to ban him
  15. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

agreed.

the best way to prove/disprove this is to let it stand to open debate - other intellectuals/people/society will challenge his beliefs on this subject and he'll either be able to back it up or won't have an answer.
  16. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

also, it comes down to the meaning behind what he said - did he say it because he his personal feelings or strictly from a scientist reporting his findings

either way, people from both sides of the fence will use what he's said as ammunition to further their own arguements.
  17. JIMI

JIMI Not an Administrator

either on a messenger of death or a naval base
    GO ON DOC :lol:

but on a serious note i do think he is talking a load of pish posh
  18. Yosef Ha'Kohain

what if science can't refute it?

You can't prove or disprove a G-d, there's a high chance you can't prove or disprove people of african descent are genetically inferior when it comes to intelligence... However presenting such a theory can have a huge influence on individuals.

Don't forget it was this "science" that the Holocaust was born from... irresponsible science can lead to genocide.
  19. Ferox

Ferox Shamanic Tea

Read/watch Guns Germs and Steel (Jared Diamond).

That is all
  20. forks

forks still not dead

well if the debate is banned then it just goes underground. If it can't be disproved , it can't be proved either so it won't make any difference
  21. andy_rocks

You can never be certain about anything but you can work out probabilities. In most science, we take 95% likelihood as being 'significant', in physics/genetics they use a lot more than that.

If he has used two large randomly selected otherwise matched groups differing only in race and he has a validated way of measuring intelligence for both and finds a significant difference then that is valid, and he's quite entitled to report it.

As far as I know there aren't any good measures of intelligence that work across cultures though - tests like 'who is the prime minister' are pointless if you haven't been exposed to British/world news.

That's why I think he's wrong, but I have no idea how he's done it so I will reserve judgement for now.