Do any of you travel to & stay in central London from Newcastle often? Or have advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr.B.ThatsMe, Jan 21, 2011.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Mr.B.ThatsMe 'yi raji puff

I need to get to London for 2 nights on the weekend of Feb 18th. 2 adults, one room.

Train: £146
    Travelodge: £171
    Theatre: £136 (these are pretty much the best prices you can get unfortunately)

Anyone know if it's possible to get the price down? I'll consider anything other than the Megabus because I heard it's awful. I don't have a passport, but I believe a driving license is ok when flying within the UK, but I don't know if it's going to be the same typical fuck on as it is whenever you're flying out of the country. I'd rather not spend hours sitting around in the airports.

Alternatively, is there anywhere else you'd recommend for a decent 'couples' weekend away? Not interested in a country cottage type things as I live in one anyway. Center parcs caught my attention but I'd still really prefer London. I was hoping to book up in the morning but seeing as I'm covering all costs, I was a bit chocked at £452 as a 'bargain' lol
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. hodge1982

hodge1982 Registered User

Try superbreak.com. Can normally get return train and hotel for around £120 per person. Might be pushing it slightly though with it only being a month away.
  4. S.E.C.T.

S.E.C.T. Kiss My Face

Going to London mid-week if much cheaper

What about Edinburgh - cheaper than London but still great to visit with loads to do?
  5. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Apparently the train is ALOT cheaper if you travel after 7pm or something. It goes from 170 quid return (on the day) down here, to something like 100 quid from Kings Cross to Newcastle. So you might wanna play around with your leaving and return times.

Maybe look into lastminute.com for your hotels or something. At what looks like 85 quid a night you could probably get something a step up from a Travellodge if you look around. Be careful as well since I've stayed in a few Travellodges in central london when i've been clubbing there, and some of them (Kings Cross, Farringdon etc) are a significant step down from the ones outside of the capital (windows bolted shut, stink of fag smoke).

You could always go to somewhere like Oxford which is MILES nicer for a couples weekend, alot cheaper and is an hour away on suburban trains to London if you fancied a day there (20 minutes to Reading, then 25 minutes to paddington)..... So don't discount going to some of the satellite towns/cities around London.
  6. Rossy

Rossy . Staff

Get a young persons railcard and the train tickets should be a fraction of the price, plus you can use it as many times as you want for a year. Costs about £20 but will save you some cash.
  7. Miller

Miller Registered User

Defo try superbreak. They have really good deals. Dont worry about staying out of the centre of London aslong as its near a tube station.

http://www.superbreak.com/rail/east_coast-2.htm

Or if you book your own train tickets which sometimes you can book say a train to stevenage or peterborough and then a ticket from there to london but stay on the same train can work out cheaper. We stayed at -

http://www.premierinn.com/en/checkHotel/HARTRA/london-harrow

in the summer. If you book it now for them dates it's only £100 for 2 people 2 nights. Tube just over the road, twenty mins into the centre. If you booked it for the first weekend in March it's only £78
  8. hodge1982

Last couple of times I've been we stayed near Kings Cross first in a Travelodge and then in a hotel at Russell Square. Both were really handy though as they were less than 5mins from the tube stations so could get around easily. Think the ones in Russell Square are the ones that often come up with superbreaks too. Hotel we were in wasnt anything flash - was a bit old fashioned and outdated but for where we were and the cost, we really couldnt argue.
  9. mccassmastag

mccassmastag

I know last year for a mates stag do he got a deal from thomas cook for about £120pp for 2nights accomodation and train there and back. I heard someone else from work saying they were going to the theatre too for an extra £40 quid on top of that so may be worth having a check with them and see if the deals still going
  10. hodge1982

That sounds as though its actually a superbreaks deal. I know the majority of travel agents I've used in the past for city breaks have used that website. We went to Edinburgh a little while back through Hayes Travel but the booking went through Superbreaks. Think we were offered the theatre option too the last time we went to London but turned it down in favour of looking for tickets when we got to London. Ps. I'm not on commission with superbreaks...honest, I just think that 9 times out of 10, their deals can't be beaten especially if you're considering booking everything separately.

For the theatre as well, thats quite a lot of money mentioned in the first post. If you're not massively fussed over what you want to see and are willing to risk leaving booking till the day before or on the day, I'd suggest just going to one of the ticket offices in Leicester Square. You can usually get a reasonable discount on most of the shows doing it this way but obviously just depends on what tickets are available at the time.
  11. adam.

adam. kthxbi

Superbreaks is a mint website. My lass gets a raker discount on it too.