Camping places for a group of ~10 people?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr.B.ThatsMe, Jul 15, 2010.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Mr.B.ThatsMe 'yi raji puff

Camping places for a group of ~10 people?

I asked this question last year and someone recommended seathwaite farm which we went to and had an amazing time, but I can't get through to them at the minute. We're wanting to go somewhere on Saturday and had a place pretty much sorted but now we can't go because the owner isn't well.

Is Plankey Mill open? I remember last time we went it was closed, and I heard something about the land owners wanting to stop public access.

I must have phoned a good 30 places last year in the hunt for somewhere and they either didn't cater for tents, or had a strict policy regarding noise and large groups of people. Seathwaite is the only place that literally didn't care about noise or young'uns turning up.

Anyone know of, or has been this year, to somewhere that allows large groups with tents?
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Allie

Allie Registered User

someone i know went to plankey mill recently and got thrown off the campsite early morning for being too loud, police called, the lot...
  4. Mr.B.ThatsMe

When we were there a few years ago I think they told us to turn the music down at 11 or 12, but before that there were no restrictions.. we weren't overly loud after that and dont plan to be this time.. would more than likely go along the river or just keep it down in the tents. NNot sure how loud the people you know were.. hmmm..
  5. DN HY

DN HY 142 bmp

Seathwaite is a brilliant place to camp imo, never had a bad weekend there (remember a face mask for the midgies tho)

few weekends back we did the friday night and seathwaite, then climbed scafell pike the next day and wild camped at one of the Tarns, highly recommended.
  6. N.C.

N.C. ............?

Seathwaite was my idea (the trout farm) the farmer never normally asked for bookings so you should be able to just turn up and he'll collect the money off you once you've pitched up.

The majority of people will stay at grange due to where it is but seathwaite is better and most people can't find it.
  7. Mr.B.ThatsMe

I think you recommended grange too... pretty sure I phoned up the campsite(s) there and was told either that they don't do tents, or/and don't allow groups.

Have you lot always just turned up at seathwaite without phoning first? We went in March last year and he said just turn up, but with it being mid july now I thought maybe it would get busy or they wouldn't be as keen on having larger groups due to more families being around or something. It's a canny drive and would be shit if we got knocked back.

Last year there was a group of scouts there and a few other tents and we never got any bother for being noisy.. we even got warned that there could be noise from the scouts and we just laughed. Is it always like that? Awesome place, despite it absolutely pissing it down when we got there.. soaked and the tents were almost taking off in the winds but it was hilarious.
  8. N.C.

N.C. ............?

Yeah I've been to grange aswell, we used to go with the rugby teams so never any problem with 20-30 lads but with seathwaite it was always the scafell people who went no one else really as its out in the sticks. I've seen quite a few people complain that they couldnt find it and end up in a totally different site.

Even when I was a kid I've never seen seathwaite full even on bank holiday weekends as regardless of what the weather is doing else where it rains in seathwaite.

You could also try stonethwaithe as well but their camp site was always a bit busier with families. But if you are going up green/great gable (and onto scafell) then take styheads pass one day but only go half way up theirs a nice pool half way up :) which was very deep last time I was there.
  9. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

was going to attempt scafell pike earlier this year but it fell through dismally. would of been my personal best because i've heard its a bit of tricky one. lots of scrambling, which i enjoy :)

Hardest one i've done so far is the Helvellyn/Catstye Cam walk, where i nearly fell down the fucking hill :lol:
  10. Mr.B.ThatsMe

I remember I got mixed up with stonewaite and seathwaite because I had one written down on paper and one in my phone, both for the same number. Can I double check that the seathwaite site is the one with that piss poor rocky road onto the site, in the middle of a valley, pub at the end and right next to the little river?
  11. DN HY

DN HY 142 bmp

:up:
  12. N.C.

N.C. ............?

No Seathwaite is the trout farm where you basically sit at the bottom of seathwaithe fell, you're along the river to stockly bridge (if you know it)

You share the field with some sheep aswell.

Its down a crappy road from seatoller, you have to pass stonethwaite to get to seathwaite.
  13. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Ah right... so it's stonewaite that I want to goto.. the number I have is 01768777394. I had different one too which I phoned yesterday and got through to an old sounding bloke and I asked if it was seathwaite.. he said no and said the number above is the one I wanted.

Do either of you have the address/postcode for the place I want? :) I though this was it http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/ca...rrowdale/SeathwaiteFarmCampingSite.p2542.html
  14. Mr.B.ThatsMe

15. N.C.

N.C. ............?

Seathwaite Farm, Borrowdale Valley, near Keswick Postcode: CA12 5XJ

^^ the one at the foot of scafell (foot of styheads pass)

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=4114

^^ stonethwaite

Stonethwaite is the one with the bigger river and you can head to black moss pot aswell (for some cliff jumping stuff)
  16. Mr.B.ThatsMe

Yeah stonewaite then. Cheers!

So is stonewaite generally 'tuen up whenever' or have you known it to get pretty busy and require bookings? no answer on the phone atm..
  17. Ruffers

Ruffers Drooling on the mixport

Are you allowed open fires at these places?? If so, do they make you put them out at a certain time?
  18. N.C.

N.C. ............?

I've always went to seathwaite or grange so not sure on sonthwaite sorry.

Just normally go through stonethwaite when heading to blackmoss pot for the day and its always seemed busy
  19. Mr.B.ThatsMe

At stonewaite we made a fire and nobody gave a shit about it.. we got pretty pissed then went to sleep.. only thing the farmer said was that we'd have to keep it off the grass to avoid spoiling it. He said as long as it's under control and on an area of suitable land, he wasn't bothered. Can't remember if he brough wood around for us or not.. I know a lot of places will sell you a bag of wood for 5 quid and supply you with a barrel or something to have it in.
  20. Hutch

Hutch \o/\o/ TRANCE \o/\o/

Were never allowed back to stonewaite :(
  21. Mr.B.ThatsMe