Bad news: the creationists are back.

Discussion in 'News & Current Affairs' started by andy_rocks, Dec 17, 2007.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. andy_rocks

andy_rocks Registered User

Bad news: the creationists are back.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2228201,00.html

Is this going to be like the one in the States that tells children that the tyranosaurus was a vegetarian that played happily with humans and whose fangs were for opening coconuts?
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. Basic Instinct

Basic Instinct Registered User

A £3.5 million theme park will be fucking shit.
  4. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

I still don't get the whole creationist bollocks. I'm a practising catholic and I certainly don't believe in the whole "god created the world in 7 days" thing.

My personal belief is that the Old testament tale of creation is more of a metaphorical one than an absolute truth. Its far more likely that the creator set things in motion and then just let them happen naturally (instead of "on the 6th day he created belgium" and so on).

Digressing slightly, whats gonna be the punchline for this park?

"Putting the 'fun' into fundamentalism"?
  5. ManofScience

ManofScience Guest

Re: Bad news: the creationists are back.

they'll be citing 'the flintstones' as a DOCUMENTARY next :lol: a wise cracking bird that acts as a gramophone!
  6. andy_rocks

I have been doing some research on these dimwits this afternoon.

On their website, http://www.zebraagency.co.uk/hall/7ica.htm you can download their annual report (under 'about') which reveals that in their bank they have a grand total of......

....£311 quid :lol: :lol: :lol:
  7. Smog

Smog Registered User

Playing slight devils advocate (and being a bit drunk...) other religions get money with little resistance or publicity and fair play, but Christianity seems to get a bad press when it gets stuck in and has a slice of the pie.

Creationism is a valid part of some Christian churches, despite its gaping flaws to many people, and why should that be different when people can pick holes in many religions? If the money is to be alloted by some zany fatcat then it's theirs to spunk away on nonsense that will give back precisley diddly-squat.

That said and this is my true feeling on the subject, there are lots of dignified, genuine and deserving projects undertaken by Christian churches and groups that deserve money without preaching creationism and the like... building a theme park for underage pissheads to teach them about dinosaurs hob-nobbing with joe public is a bit like binge-spending, people need to sort out priorities.

Fuck me, i'd love to have the cash to open a theme park... only mine would be to do with beer, or ho's. And be in Middlesbrough.
  8. Gav Freaky Dancing

Gav Freaky Dancing Registered User

in the world according to creationists did dinosaurs actually exist then?

I'm sure I've had more than one creationist nutter explain it to me that dinosaurs never actually lived, the fossilised dinosaurs that we've found were actually put in the ground by god to test the strength of our faith... a bit like him putting an apple tree in the garden of eden but banning adam from eating the apples.

personally I'd love to go to a proper creationist theme park, I reckon it'd be fucking hillarious wandering round ripping the piss out of these numbnuts.

Only thing you have to be a bit careful of when doing this is the fact that many born again types have ended up turning to God as a last resort after their worlds fallen apart for one reason or another, so if you destroy their faith in God through logical and reasoned arguement their next step could well be the tyne bridge / bottom of a bottle. Something a mate found out after ripping into one of the God Squad who accosted him on Northumberland Street a while back, only to have the bloke break down in tears on him, begging him to stop as his faith in god was the only thing holding him together after his business had gone bankrupt, and he'd lost his house, wife, kids & spent a while on the streets attempting to drink himself to death.:eek:
  9. Smog

Smog Registered User

I happen to think there is a rising trend of 'fundamentalism' amongst athiests... very closed minded of religion and refusal to see the flip side of the coin. This is largely confined to the relative anonymity of internet forums and the like, but it strikes of hypocrisy when it is often religion accused of being inflexible.

I firmly believe that many religious people are worthy of high respect and religions often do a great deal of good; I know people who claim Christianity has changed their lives for the better and I don't begrudge them that. Good on them in fact. If they die and there really is no afterlife then it doesn't matter, they've enjoyed their lives and death has become irrelevant.

I may be digressing from the original topic, but i'm sure a lot of creationists are non-intrusive and intelligent people, yet often are portrayed as fire and brimstone tub-thumpers just because of their particular belief structure. Unfortunately its always the actions of a few that seem to give a bad name to many, I believe Islamophobia is born out of this.
  10. adam.

adam. kthxbi

isnt the quoted trustee peter jones off dragons den ?
  11. andy_rocks

I agree with most of what has been said in this thread but the reason why I am attacking this idea in particular is because it is an attack on education.

I'm all for arguing out theories like evolution, but this is pathetic. They're building a theme park, so they're specifically targetting children for their message. Why not adults? I can tell exactly the way this will go - they will point to some clever part of a plant and 'look at this! must've been designed!' and the children, having not been taught properly about evolution and definitely not getting the proper explanation will assume that this is a real scientific argument, even though it was thought of and resolved long, long ago.

You'd think it couldn't happen in this county, but Emmanuel college in Gateshead was the scene of just this a few years ago. In a science lesson, children being taught that the universe began after the pyramids had been built!

Reasonable church-goers and atheists alike can unite against this one.
  12. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

From my perspective creationism is christian fundamentalism at its worst (along with such guidance as not allowing contraception even when faced with AIDS etc). Its misguided, misinformed, and has no place in modern teaching.

Science is there to explain how, not why, Religion is there to explain why, not how. As long as both camps remember this they will get on just fine ;)
  13. Gav Freaky Dancing

Gav Freaky Dancing Registered User

scratch a creationist and you'll usually find an end time nut bleeding.

end times fuckwits are incredibly dangerous IMO as a significant proportion of them are actively working towards a clash of civilisations on the basis that the prophecies supposedly foresee an apocolyptic clash of civilisations before the second coming, so no clash of civilisations, no second coming.

If you don't think this is dangerous, just have a look at where much of the behind the scenes support for the war against terror has come from - christian fundamentalist's, egged on by the end timers.

Creationist theme parks are the thin end of the wedge
  14. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

Religion, is not truth at all.

its lies to create false hope. at least thats what i think.

but as frank from shameless said, "even the most strictest of Atheists look to god in the most extreme circumstances"
  15. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell check me a dollar brer?

Any proof to back up your opinion
  16. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

any real proof to back up their opinion? no.

atheists are backed up by a helluva lot of scientific finding and research.

however that doesent mean i'm right either, everyone probably got the wrong idea about religion and the afterlife. and when we die we'll all be transported to a far off plain where ant's fuck everyone up the arse.

not nice but it could be true.
  17. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

And most religions are backed by their own doctrine, teachings, and wealthy individuals over hundreds of years... Just because you can shout the loudest doesn't make you right ;)

The views of science and religion can coexist as long as one doesn't step on the others toes. Science explains how things work, religion explains why. Thats why religion falls flat on its arse trying to explain complex science as the work of god (earth revolving round the sun, theory of evolution), and why science falls flat on it's arse trying to prove/disprove such a god exists. The best way to interpret religious texts is to understand the moral arguments/stories contained within, not to take them at face value, the story of creation being a good example.

Mind you, I'd be worried a wee bit more about these fellas in the youtube clip than some christian nutter who wants to open up the creationism theme park... Scientology brands Psychology as a nazi science responsible for rape and murder - not bad for a religion invented by a sci-fi writer. Be afraid:

[yt]dwTDvfjcUJU[/yt]
  18. MistaK

MistaK Modulations Staff

wtf man, what the fucks up with that smarmy little shit that just seems to tell sweeny what to do?

i've been tempted to slap the sceen 4 times just out of pure annoyance.
  19. andy_rocks

Unfortunately atheists don't have any scientific research to back up their opinion that 'there almost certainly is no god'. This is because noone in their right mind would start trying to disprove a god, because you cannot disprove any fictitious creature you care to imagine. All science can do is reduce the amount that we cannot explain - 1000 years ago, noone knew how the sun moved, what the stars were, how the tides worked, where something as complex as life came from - it must be God what does it. These days we know all that and more, and there is no need to start invoking the supernatural.

The positive claims of creationists however "(there is a god, he is a supernatural intellgence, he deliberately designed the universe, he designed everything in the universe") are totally up for research, and in face of the lack of evidence begin to look a bit silly.

The question of how questions versus why questions - I'm yet to hear any 'why' question answered satisfactorily by any religion ;) "Why are we here? God made it so" "Why are we moral? God wants you to be". Not convinced, particularly when Darwinism answers those ones.
  20. Conway

Conway helmet Staff

there's equally convincing arguments for and against... the truth? Noone knows for certain.

Just be glad I'm not into Scientology, otherwise I'd be digging into your criminal past to discredit you, stalking you back to your house, and getting people to follow you about town for posting that ;)
  21. Yosef Ha'Kohain

Yosef Ha'Kohain Registered User

Time is relative...