Advantages & disadvantages of moving to London / Surrey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ayatollah Terry, Aug 16, 2006.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Ayatollah Terry

Ayatollah Terry Registered User

Advantages & disadvantages of moving to London / Surrey

List em! I'm moving at the weekend. No more Geordieland!!!!
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. French William

French William _________________

Depends on whether you're talking about London OR Surrey.

I moved to London a year ago and fucking love it, I live right in central London though, so got no idea about Surrey or commuting or anything. Everything's better down here though, can't imagine moving back to Newcastle til I'm ready to breed.
  4. Ayatollah Terry

Thinking the same thing. Reckon I'll love it there but my kids must be Geordies!

If my son was a hammer or a gooner I'd be gutted!
  5. French William

West Ham's my London team like :lol:
  6. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Ive lived in surrey for the past 4-5 years and ive never looked back.

Lived in Croydon, Woking, Guildford and now Richmond.

Basically it makes you love the north alot more since it feels more like your spiritual home - but at the same time makes you glad you left it. Newcastle is a brilliant place but its just a small town in the north of england and theres bollock all to do once you leave the city limits.

The south has everything a person could want - massive ethnic diversity, everything a person would want to do on your doorstep, london is 30 minutes max on the train, clubs are the best in the country, the women are incredible, .......

.... Its also crowded, stressful and expensive - But you have to take the rough with the smooth.

EVERYONE should live in london at least once in their life. Or surrey/kent/essex etc etc ..... Its a life changing experience - something you cant really understand until youve lived there and experienced it first hand. I grew up in the west end of newcastle all my life and didnt move till i was about 22 and never thought i'd live anywhere else in the UK. It certaintly changes your perspective on life thats for sure.
  7. NorthernOUFC

NorthernOUFC Registered User

:up: :up: Couldn't agree more. Living in Oxford I've spent a fair amount of time in London and absolutely love it (I was born there which might help!) I love University at Newcastle but to be honest the city itself is very mainstream - cheap drink in shit venues, cheese music in shit venues etc dominate. I definately want to live in London for a while, once I've got enough money to enjoy it!!
  8. B.O.B.

B.O.B. Registered User

I've been in London for nearly four months now, and am loving it. Newcastle is a great place (I was there for 15 years), but it does wear thin after a while with very little new stuff to do. Down here there is everything you could ever want in terms of entertainment and everything else.

The downside is that it is more expensive, and the pace of life is so much faster - not so good if you're easily stressed. And it is usually more of a hike to get where you want to go due to the size of the place (mind you, I was spoilt in Newcastle where I lived very centrally).
  9. French William

It's weird how soon you get used to this though. If I'm going out somewhere now I think nothing of it being at least a 30min journey, more often than not 45mins or more. When I lived in Newcastle though I'd never think about going that far, the 10min bus ride from heaton to town used to piss me off! But now I'm doing the equivalent of getting the train to Durham or Darlo or even York almost every day and don't bat an eyelid.

And as for the faster pace of life, I think that's one of the best things about being here :up:
  10. J

J Mummy To A Baby Boy

I loved it plenty of markets, cafes and endless places for entertainment whether it be chilling out on Primrose Hill / Kew gardens or off to watch the woman in white, there something for everybody. Loved the multi cultured side of things I didnt even know what a Harry Krishna 'sp was until i went shopping on Oxford Street, Portabello Road + Camden would definitely recommend you visit, Liked how there was a fixed bus fare of £1.00 not sure if that still stands

Downside as Bob says its such a fast paced environment theres never a cut of point + I didnt really like travelling via the tube on a night time as there were some shifty characters.
  11. 118118

ADVANTAGES - LONDON IS A FUCKIN AWESOME CITY!

DISADVANTAGES - FUCKIN SOUTHERNERS ALL OVER :lol:
  12. Ayatollah Terry

How did you Geordies find communicating with with people because of your accent?
  13. J

J Mummy To A Baby Boy

Not bad don’t think they understood what I meant by canny but there’s that many accents going on down there give yourself a few months youll be picking up there words no problem
  14. French William

Everyone fucking loves it. Seriously, I've not got the broadest accent in the world, but the majority of people comment on it and say something along the lines of 'Ooh are you from newcastle? I love your accent. I've heard it's a great night out up there?'. :up:

And they do understand words like aye, canny, divn't etc, it's not exactly a different language!
  15. J

J Mummy To A Baby Boy

Maybe they do understand youve lived there a lot longer than I did

:up:
  16. BRID

BRID Has name in red. Staff

Being a geordie usually guarantees you cult status amongst your friends and colleagues in the south.

I get alot of jest about it of course - but being from the north usually relaxes people alot and they tend to be a lot more laid back and open.
  17. French William

If your speech is in anyway comparable to your posts, then it's perfectly possible that people struggled to understand you.
  18. Guest

The main thing i have found with the geordie accent is that most lasses love it but most men hate it? i have nearly been in fights just for being geordie in the likes of sheffield and manchester on nights out
  19. Basic Instinct

Basic Instinct Registered User

It's more likely that you nearly got beat up for being a massive cunt.
  20. French William

Undoubtedly :up:
  21. J

J Mummy To A Baby Boy

My speech is nothing like how i post in fact you probably have more of a Geordie dialect than i do :king: