5-htp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Congay, Sep 26, 2002.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. Congay

Congay Registered User

5-Hydroxytryptophan

Anyone else use this supplement?

I "think" it helps me defo.

It defo helps me get to kip and I feel better after a night out.
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. paul

paul Registered User

dont mean to be a total idiot, but what is it???? :confused: :confused: :confused:
  4. Guest

This might sound stupid but what is it?

Multi vits or something? :confused:
  5. Congay

Congay Registered User

Its the holy grail!

Ill be back with oodles of info.....
  6. Congay

Congay Registered User

>> Click here for 5-HTP info <<

Some freaky facts about it I have learned recently.......

Finland has BANNED it because it can be used for anti-depression. Rumour has it large chemical company's didn't want everyone using it instead of there pricey products!

In Holland you can buy BULK BAGS of 1000's a 5-HTP tablets.....often sold at rave etc. Cheap as fook as it is accepted to help counter the effect of "late nights" Yet in the UK it is kept very very quiet........ the government thinks it would be seen as pro-drug......... A bit narrow minded me thinks if it COULD help ppl in the long run..

Ps. Its on special in Holland & Barretts at the mo. 50 Tabs for £7.50.
  7. Guest

So is it like Valium or something? :confused:
  8. Congay

Congay Registered User

No dumbass... :p .......read>>>

5-HTP (5-Hydroxytryptophan) - 5-HTP is a metabolite of the amino acid tryptophan. It is the direct precursor of the inhibitory neurotransmitter serotonin, the one associated with calm; it soothes and comforts us from worry and stress. Stress causes the heightened release of serotonin, and if the stress lasts too long; it leads to serotonin depletion. Research strongly implies that boosted brain resotonin serves as a stress immunizer. Serotonin seems to play the role of regulator to the ups and downs of mood disorders. Low serotonin levels associated with irritability, aggression, impatience, and anxiety. Evidence suggests serotonin inhibits aggressive behavior in experimental animals and humans. Abundant laboratory research suggests there is a deficiency of serotonin or serotonin activity in the brains of most depressed person. Suicidal patients show a significant decrease in serotonin levels. Most antidepressant drugs, including tricyclics, lithium, MAO inhibitors, and SSRI's (Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil and Luvox), have this in common: they boost serotonin levels. 5-HTP differs from tryptophan in that it slightly increases the activity of an energizing neurotransmitter, norepinephrine, as well as the calming opne, serotonin in some clinical trial, 5-HTP outperformed tryptophan in treating mood disorders. It has also proved therapeutic for some who failed to respond to standard antidepressant drugs. The greater the agitation associated with depression, the more likely the response to 5-HTP. The usual dosage range of 5-HTP is 150-300mg. per day in divided doses. A conservative starting dose is 50mg., then boosting by 50mg. every five days. A majority of responders notice a favorable mood effect within three days of beginning supplementation. In one study, of those who did respond, 80% did so within one week of therapy. Side effects are rare but may include mania, anxiety, and dermatitis. For some people, 5-HTP has a very narrow therapeutic window; the proper dosage may lie within a range as small as 10-25mg. per day. If its antidepressant effects fade after a few weeks, it may be necessary to supplement 5-HTP at a different time of the day with a low dose of the complementary amino acide L-Tyrosine, to further raise the norepinephrine levels, or to eat more meat or other Tyrosine-rich foods. 5-HTP is able to pass the blood-brain barrier more easily than tryptophan, but to maximize its effectiveness it should not be taken along with protein food. One product manufacturer suggests taking it 45 minutes before or three hours after a protein meal.
  9. Congay

Congay Registered User

It boosts Serotonin levels in the brain.......

I recommend to anyone who spends more than the recommened 30 mins with a drunk Glittler Angel.
  10. paul

paul Registered User

God I wish I could understand all that :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  11. Guest

WTF :confused: :D :D :D

Nah I get it - thats all I need, added anxiety

Think I'll give those a miss
  12. Congay

Congay Registered User

added anxiety is what you get if you don't take it you illiterate fool! God these kids are going to rule the country in 20 years! *rolls eyes*
  13. Guest

LOL - Thats exactly what I'm talkin about

I'm losing it I swear :p :D
  14. Guest

take it before u go out, "nd do whatever you choose to do" then u'll feel sweet in the morning!!
  15. Wot

Wot Registered User

I have taken it after clubbing and it worked 4 me. It also works if you take some for a day or two before you go Clubbing to boost your serotonin levels so that your clubbing supplements work better
  16. SeniorChem Si

SeniorChem Si Registered User

sounds good. chhers for the tip...... could come in useful for next week :p
  17. billyloner

billyloner

take it b4 you "club" and become all :love: dup, i read somewhere like every day for a week b4 and all week after? havent tried it myself but i know someone who did and said it worked nice... im gonna try and get hold of some...
  18. TranceyDJ

TranceyDJ Registered User

It makes me puke all over the place....particularly embarassing in Gatecrasher toilets at 23.00....with people thinking "isn't it a bit early to be throwing up?"
  19. batfink

batfink Registered User

ive taken it for a few weeks now.. def helps, stops u having really trashy sleep where ur not properly asleep and are thinking loadsa shit... and imalways in a better mood the next day aswell, kinda gets rid of those tuesday blues :)
  20. helz

helz Registered User

i used to use it years ago then realised there was more i culd spend 17 quid on to keep going

there used to be this guy in the 24/7 cafe after cream used to go round giving every1 little bags of multi vits and 5htp?? weird bloke must have cost him a fortune
  21. Congay

Congay Registered User

Yeah..........Id take any strange tablet a scouser gave me like...........

AS IF!