£1 per mile on motorways

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M.C.E, Jun 5, 2005.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. M.C.E

M.C.E 1981-2013

£1 per mile on motorways

Alastair Darling has announced proposals to levy a quid a mile on UK motorways, but it will replace road tax and fuel duty (all or some duty???).
    I reckon the country will be brought to it's knees by the backlash.
  2. 1615634792921.png
  3. paul

paul Registered User

Re: £1 per mile on motorways

no way could they impose that, i probs do an average 150 miles a week on motorways alone
  4. M.C.E

M.C.E 1981-2013

More to the point how much would it cost the taxpayer to enforce this ridiculous idea :rolleyes:
  5. dodgy

dodgy rowr kitty super meow cat

Doubt it: everyone will whinge as usual, then just bend over and take it up the arse - because most of the populace are apathetic morons.
  6. M.C.E

M.C.E 1981-2013

Tell it like it is :lol:
  7. r3m1

r3m1 Registered User

£1 a mile :eek:

£580 round trip to go home then. :mad: :evil: :lol:
  8. Lee

Lee original gowans artwork

Alastair Darling should be shot for crimes against motorists
  9. M.C.E

M.C.E 1981-2013

[​IMG]
  10. Nass

Nass sound. Staff

£1 a mile :lol: fair play if it was pennies.. hows that fair? someone who lives close to their work and doesn't need to use the motorway gets a tax free year while some other travelling worker gets charged thousands?
  11. Rob

Rob Registered User

I think its a great idea.

Why should people pay tax on petrol and road tax rather than a charge based on how far they actually drive and how much those roads cost to maintain?

I really doubt any roads will be £1 per mile anywhere outside London despite what may of been reported.
  12. Lee

Lee original gowans artwork

anyone know how much petrol is per litre without duty on it, im sure its less than half the current price.
  13. Freddy Flintoff

Freddy Flintoff WE MISS YOU JOHN

If you drive OFF PEAK and not on the busiet roads you will SAVE money, It will be very rare that you are charged £1 a mile... Lets face it something has to be done traffic is a major problem in the country, it will force people to car share and onto public transport
  14. Nass

Nass sound. Staff

public transport can't and won't go where everyone wants to go though, its not the ultimate solution.
  15. Freddy Flintoff

True in that case you drive OFF PEAK and you will ultimatly pay less, if not, if you really have to use the busy roads at peak times i feel its only fair you pay more..

I have studied the plans and at first i thought it could not work, but its very clever and will really sort out britians over stretched roads
  16. Nass

Nass sound. Staff

hows it fair for someone who's making a living to be charged for working when others who drive to work in quieter areas don't!? there are plenty of people on low wages in the town centre who can't get public transport from where they live. it would also cost them a fortune to drive into the outskirts (insurance/car payments) and get the metro in and back to their car every day. i'd also not like the idea of parking my car somewhere i'm too far away from in case anything was to happen to it.

another fact: the bus/metro system couldn't handle that amount of people suddenly using public transport.
  17. Freddy Flintoff

If you on low income you could not afford a car and to park in in town centres, If driving is part of your job your work should pay for it, and public transport could be expanded to meet demand if the extra people brough in a new revenue stream. Also PLENTY of secure park and ride places with security and camera prob safer than the centre.
  18. Nass

Nass sound. Staff

The park and ride car parks couldn't take that many more cars than they do now.

Many, many people use cars who couldn't afford conjestion charges. I myself being one of them. It would take years before they'd supply enough buses to run the system properly and they actually can't run metros any more frequently than they do now because its already packed as - have you ever been on during rush hour? hell, you even ran up the metro line when you were drunk..
  19. Freddy Flintoff

This is not gonna happen overnight, there is plenty time to increase public transport.

Put it this way cities CAN NOT cope with current traffic and its getting worse it needs to be sorted, Congestion charges in London Worked, If this plan is thoughrully worked out before implimentation it will be a success also the way it is currently done means no matter your finicial status you pay the same when its been shown that poorer people drive less due to the cost of running a car therefore it would be a much fairer way of taxing motorists.

The carry on at the current rate it going to cause gridlock in cities and i for one think we need more palns in place to reduce traffic in cities like the one in place in London. Also anthing that promotes car sharing can only be good on the enviroment
  20. Freddy Flintoff

And yes i use the metro in rush hour, i use public transport to go EVERYWHERE i even prefere trians to Driving lond ditances, How about this for an idea if the metro vcant take twice as many people... TWICW AS MANY TRAINS running Also creating TWICE as many new jobs in the region, sounds like good news to me we will need more poeple working in public transport and it will become more effiecent meaning lower fares
  21. Nass

Nass sound. Staff

call me a raging trainspotter but have you seen how close together they run the metro trains? at one station you can see the next train down the line (because its a straight line to the next stop). they can't stick any more trains than they do on in rush hour, it'd gridlock the metro :lol: